The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Range of GR for kick and snare Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Range of GR for kick and snare

I know its all relative but a real common starting place for for alot of things as far as ration seems to be 3:1-4:1 and about 3-6db of GR. BUt I know drums typically require a higher ratio and more GR. Whats a common starting place for kick and snare or toms and OHs for that matter when it comes to Ratio,dbs of GR and threshold.
Same deal for bass as well?
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
I know its all relative but a real common starting place for for alot of things as far as ration seems to be 3:1-4:1 and about 3-6db of GR. BUt I know drums typically require a higher ratio and more GR. Whats a common starting place for kick and snare or toms and OHs for that matter when it comes to Ratio,dbs of GR and threshold.
Same deal for bass as well?
What compressor are we talking about? A Distressor is going to react differently to an LA3A, for example.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

The LA2A has serious mojo, easy to dial in.

i'd say start at 4:1, 3 - 5db GR depending how aggressive you want to get. I usually hit mine around 4db.

if you're talking about transient control (metal, hard rock...), i would suggest using an L1 before your comp
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Rec View Post
What compressor are we talking about? A Distressor is going to react differently to an LA3A, for example.
I have a dbx 160xt and a crane trakker. But I gues the plot thickens because I also have aUAD card with 1176ln and LA2A. The the question now becomes how much when recording with hardware coming in and how much with processing? I know the dbx is good for drums,but not sure about the trakker or which out of the La-2a, or 1176LN or any of them would be the better choice.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I've used 12 db of gain reduction on a kik on the way in at times....I would always tend to no gain reduction whatsoever for drums on the way in...too many variables that can't be undone...unless it's a real charcter thing or the element is really isolated (kik in)...that would be my advice.

Nick
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Experiment to see which one sounds better to you, and then that will be your answer.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
Experiment to see which one sounds better to you, and then that will be your answer.
there we go!

play around with those UADs
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Unless you've got real crap converters, I think you should play around with the hardware first. I've never used the dbx or the Trakker, but I do have two UAD cards and the mentioned plugs. In my experience, you will not get the same punch from the plugs that you will from decent hardware compression. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use the UAD, just that it WILL be different. You need to decide if it's what you're looking for.

What style of music are you doing, and what are you looking to get out of the compression (control over the dynamics, envelope shaping, tone, etc.)?

One thing you need to be aware of if you're mixing in the box, if you run tracks out to a hardware comp, your phase relationships WILL change. Nudging may mitigate it, but you will NOT be able to maintain the same exact phase relationships unless you run ALL of your drum tracks out and back in. (The phase anomalies can occur with delays shorter than a single sample, so compensating for the latency will not put the tracks back into the same phase relationships.) Not necessarily a problem at all, I do this all the time, but you need to be aware of it. Parallel processing is a no-no, for example, unless you run the dry track out as well. If you're mixing out of the box, you will not have the same issues.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

I like dynamics, so I rarely compress kick and snare. If I do I'll use about .5-3 db of GR. There is usually more punch and attack with no compression (if tracked with enough headroom).
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Rec View Post
Unless you've got real crap converters, I think you should play around with the hardware first. I've never used the dbx or the Trakker, but I do have two UAD cards and the mentioned plugs. In my experience, you will not get the same punch from the plugs that you will from decent hardware compression. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use the UAD, just that it WILL be different. You need to decide if it's what you're looking for.

What style of music are you doing, and what are you looking to get out of the compression (control over the dynamics, envelope shaping, tone, etc.)?

One thing you need to be aware of if you're mixing in the box, if you run tracks out to a hardware comp, your phase relationships WILL change. Nudging may mitigate it, but you will NOT be able to maintain the same exact phase relationships unless you run ALL of your drum tracks out and back in. (The phase anomalies can occur with delays shorter than a single sample, so compensating for the latency will not put the tracks back into the same phase relationships.) Not necessarily a problem at all, I do this all the time, but you need to be aware of it. Parallel processing is a no-no, for example, unless you run the dry track out as well. If you're mixing out of the box, you will not have the same issues.
Are you talking about how UAD plugins cause latency in PT? This really sucks that PT doesnt have delay compensation. That why I use Sonar
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

No, I was referring to the latency incurred by the round trip through one's converters. That could be an issue if you were using your outboard gear. You should be cool, phase-wise, with plugins in Sonar, but always use your ears. For instance, Blockfish is NOT phase-accurate in DP.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search