The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Safe to store ribbon mics this way?
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Safe to store ribbon mics this way?

Ahoy hoy,

quick question. Is it a bad idea to store ribbon microphones on their sides? As in, storing the case so the lobes are still pointing left and right (not up and down), but 90 degrees clockwise?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've just bought a sontronics sigma mic and the case is HUGE!! It looks conspicuous everywhere I put it, and my only sane option seems to be storing it on its side beside some amps.

My thanks to ye in advance.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Generally you don't want gravity pulling on the ribbon and causing it to sag, but apparently this isn't a problem for Royers. Check here. Tape Op Message Board :: View topic - Storing ribbon mics
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Addict

I'm sure it depends on the ribbon. I know with Beyer M160's, they say to store it vertically (red dots facing up and down). That tape op link should be helpful.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Addict

It's always a good idea to store ribbons vertically. The larger the ribbon, the more likely it is to sag due to gravity. I'd always recommend storing them vertically just to be on the safe side.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the responses. The TapeOp article doesn't clarify for me 100% what I'm wondering, but I figure I'll just play it safe and store them vertically. Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search