The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How I've been mixing lately. Am I missing something?
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

How I've been mixing lately. Am I missing something?

-Record everything dry to DAW with no eq and no comp.
-Out to outboard EQ and comp: Seperate passes for kick, snare, all toms, all overheads including room. I've now got 4 drum tracks recorded in DAW.
-Run entire drum mix through eq/comp and now I have a full stereo drum bus stem.

-Run bass out to eq/comp and record in DAW.

-Run guitars out to eq/comp and record stereo track in DAW.

-Run all vocals (complete stereo mix) through EQ/Comp. I may do 2 passes so that lead gets different treatment. In that case, I would then run all vocals through eq/comp to eventually have stereo track in DAW.

-I would now have 4 stereo tracks. Run entire mix (4 tracks only, not originals too) through stereo eq and stereo comp..record back into DAW.

-Export final 2 track and burn cd.

-It seems to be working well for me lately. I used to use all plugs and then let the computer mix down my 25-35 tracks and burn a cd. I have been much happier lately with this method.

Opinions? Thanks.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I'd be tempted to use your eq and comp while tracking but if it works for you....why not keep doing it?
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear
Sounds like you are missing an analog console with good eq's and a few compressers. Sum out of the box thru the console and nice outboard to a stereo track back in your daw. Just sounds like alot of work the way you are doing it. But, can't argue with success.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post
I'd be tempted to use your eq and comp while tracking but if it works for you....why not keep doing it?
+1. Commit at recording. Trust your ears. It will sound great at the mix. The mix will go quicker too.
I've just finished recording an album where I did all the processing on the way in (It's "Live in the Studio"). The blend is working reall well. All I'm doing at the mix is automating some volume changes for solos & stuff.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJones View Post
Sounds like you are missing an analog console with good eq's and a few compressers. Sum out of the box thru the console and nice outboard to a stereo track back in your daw. Just sounds like alot of work the way you are doing it. But, can't argue with success.
I agree.
Old 9th April 2009
Vum
Lives for gear

It's good advice in the long run to start committing to tape as mentioned above, however, you shouldn't experiment with that in a paying session as it can lead to ruin!

Even tracking through an EQ or Compressor without them "working" very hard may give enough character to not need as much processing during mixdown.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like a lot of extra steps.. Why don't you get an analog console and just use daw as a multitracker? You would actually gain some control with console as you now have to make submix stems and then mix them. what do you do if it's not balanced when doing a mix? Make a new stem?
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

the problem is

I only have 11 total preamps to use for tracking.

8 are very good with no eq.
2 are very good and have eq
one is ok and has no eq.

I have 2 RNC's, one dbx 160x, one dbx 163x and a Chameleon labs 7720 comp.

How would you use this stuff to record a 5 piece drumset with top and bottom mics for snare and close and far mic for kick drum?

I have no problem commiting to DAW (fake tape) if it is practical.

Thanks.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I don't think you need to compress and eq everything on a drumkit, a good placement ca be enough for your overheads.
Then eq and compress (if you need to) your kick and snare, if you had a console you could only use 2 channel of eq and comp for every toms using a stereo bus.
I don't know...my situation is the opposite, I just got a console but I'll need more comp and i/o pretty soon.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

cool

Glad nobody has called me crazy or lazy or ridiculous for my methods. It really isn't that bad. I set up the eq and comp settings for kick..i process all 5 or 10 songs or whatever and then move on to the next instrument. it only takes as long as each song. It takes longest to find settings I like for the first song. The real pain is when I get done with all that and find that the kick doesn't fit. I've then gotta go back and re-out-in all of the kicks again with different settings..or use plugs. Then, the drum mix has to be re-done with the new kick..or use plugs.

yar.

Last edited by filthyrich; 10th April 2009 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: I'm dumb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search