The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum replacement and cutting triggers.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Drum replacement and cutting triggers.

I'm using Drumagog in DP to augment drums, and curious about a post made at the top of this page. Mayor999, or anyone else, can you elaborate on this technique? I generally just use the blend control in Drumagog, but I'm not thrilled with this, and it would be cool to be able to process the sample and dry tracks individually before adding them together and processing further. I'm especially interested in maintaining phase coherency and sample accuracy as much as possible.

Thanks a lot!
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear
I think he's referring to creating a duplicate drum track, say the kick, which is manually edited so only the attack of the waveform is left. This track is then used to create a cleaner sample track with the edited track as trigger. This new track is blended with the original track, which may also be separately processed,
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I did a post detailing this awhile back.... let me look 1 sec.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Rec View Post
I'm using Drumagog in DP to augment drums, and curious about a post made at the top of this page. Mayor999, or anyone else, can you elaborate on this technique? I generally just use the blend control in Drumagog, but I'm not thrilled with this, and it would be cool to be able to process the sample and dry tracks individually before adding them together and processing further. I'm especially interested in maintaining phase coherency and sample accuracy as much as possible.

Thanks a lot!
Here it is:

Is John Fields around?
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool, thanks man. I understand the idea, it's just the method, especially getting things sample/phase accurate that I wasn't clear on. Do you leave the edits so the trigger starts at full amplitude and then ends at the next peak (so it's once full cycle, but starts at max amplitude), the way it is in that screenshot? If so, what's the rationale behind that (I always cut at the beginning of the hit)? And, you just get things sample accurate manually by eye?

I'm not dense, I just want to make sure I understand the full process.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, thanks man. I understand the idea, it's just the method, especially getting things sample/phase accurate that I wasn't clear on. Do you leave the edits so the trigger starts at full amplitude and then ends at the next peak (so it's once full cycle, but starts at max amplitude), the way it is in that screenshot? If so, what's the rationale behind that (I always cut at the beginning of the hit)? And, you just get things sample accurate manually by eye?

I'm not dense, I just want to make sure I understand the full process.
I do it exactly like the screenshots.

The rational is to get the dynamic range of the attack and the decay so that when "Follow Dynamics" is on in the Sound Replacer plugin, it will more accuratly follow the intensity of the hit.

It does not matter a ton exactly how you cut the one full cycle as long as you do it exactly the same every time.

Yep I do it by eye... Zoomed in this far you can get a pretty good stab at being within 20-50 samples everytime.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Right on, thanks a lot, I've got a project that will benefit greatly from this, and I'm looking forward to the extra flexibility that having a separate track for the samples is going to award me. I really appreciate your quick replies as well.

Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right on, thanks a lot, I've got a project that will benefit greatly from this, and I'm looking forward to the extra flexibility that having a separate track for the samples is going to award me. I really appreciate your quick replies as well.

For sure man.

Play around with your methedology of how you do this and then pick what sounds best to you.

Maybe you will come up with a better way than what everyone else does!
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

For sure. Like I said, I normally use the blend function in Drumagog, so I'm looking forward to playing around with this. I'll certainly post if I find another method that works better with DP and Drumagog. I don't do much editing, so I need to dive into the edit functions in DP as well. If anyone else has some tips, please chime in. I love finding new and faster ways of working.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search