The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite producers and why
Old 26th January 2006
Lives for gear

Bob Ezrin-Anybody who could get Pink Floyd to make The Wall with the inner turmoil that band was dealing with is the shiznit. Not to mention, as stated above, he makes big American cheese rock fun. The last Ezrin produced Janes Addiction is smokin'.

Kevin Elson-Countless huge Journey hits among other 80s rock bands (Mr. Big, Europe, Nightranger, etc.) Give the latest Europe CD Start From the Dark a listen. Huge guitar sounds.

Mike Wagener-Does anything really need to be said here?
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz
Bob Ezrin - as influential as his work with Pink Floyd was, I'm more blown away by things like Lou Reed's 'Berlin', Gabriel's first album, Alice Cooper's classic stuff... He makes shameless over-production FUN and exciting. And he's a Canuck. heh

But if I had to pick one, I guess it'd just be Ezrin.
You're so right! How could I have overlooked Ezrin on my list?!?

'Berlin' is a MASTERPIECE! (my all-time fave)

But I swear, I'm not depressed.
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

Chic

My vote :
Bernard Edwards(RIP) and Nile Rodgers from Chic.
No comments.
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Mark Trombino

I really LOVE his work on Clarity and Bleed American! He adds nice little ear candy that really does the trick.
Old 27th January 2006
Gear Head

Steve Albini - Landmark recordings with Nirvana and The Pixies but also does a lot of obscure work that mainstream doesnt know about; Godspeed You Black Emperor, F-minus, A minor forest, Leftover Crack etc. He'll work with anyone and has done wonders for alternative music.

Jon Brion - Many people say he just rips off the Beatles but I really enjoy his work especially When The Pawn

Dangermouse - My pic for the best modern hip hop producer

Rob Schnapf and Tom Rothrock - Maybe cause I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan, but their recordings with him are perfect.

Hmm I guess my stuff is of really recent people...I dont know how that happened.
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

lee townsend- frisell and many others.

godrich: sea change, hail to the thief, ok computer

i'm still one of those who has a hard time really separating what is band and what is producer..in my fav records. i kind of think of george martin as one of the beatles.
Old 27th January 2006
JDN
Lives for gear

Very different genres but

Prince

Flood

Scott Storch
Old 27th January 2006
Lives for gear

Lets not forget Jerry Wexler and Tom Dowd (Ray Charles,Aretha), Chris Blackwell (Bob Marley), Paul Rothchild (Doors,Janis), Bill Szymczyk(Eagles), Brian Wilson (Pet sounds).
Old 31st January 2006
Lives for gear

Tom Dowd. Jeff Lynne. Wally (guy who did Level 42....listen to "World Machine") Badareu.
Old 31st January 2006
Gear Maniac

Lots of great names so far.

I'll chip in with Hugh Padgham (synchronicity, Peter Gabriel 3) Bill Bottrell (Tuesday Night Music club, Toy Matinee) and Kate Bush.
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Top 5

Nigel Godrich - His work with Radiohead and Paul McCartney is like an orgasm in my ears.
Ethan Johns - Heartbreaker is one of my favorite albums sonically and contained absolutely no compression or EQ... That shows how much of a bad ass this guy is at mic placement and hand leveling... Oh did I mention he didn't use automation either? Also his work with the Kings of Leon, and The Jayhawks is awesome... On top of that he is a hell of a nice guy, and very modest... oh and he knows his gear like no other.
Dennis Herring - His work with Modest Mouse is absolutely brilliant... "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" is one of my favorite albums of all time, and the sounds are fabulous. Also his work with Mute Math was quite impressive as well. I am actually about to order a JFL MP F6E mic pre from him studio in the next month or so...
Steve Lillwhite - Hmmmm let's see... His work with U2, The Dave Matthews Band, Guster, and countless others is just brilliant. When I was 16 I e-mailed him (I was sneaky and got his e-mail), and he was kind enough to give me quick responses to all of my questions. I have kind of let off of him in the last few years, but I was shocked that he constantly sent me friendly and encouraging words of support and information. He is a genius, and a nice guy.
Goerge Martin - I mean come now... Do I really need to explain why?

-Grant

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search