The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone get rid of their CD's?
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone get rid of their CD's?

I have around 1000 CDs, and am thinking of ripping them all and lightening my load.

I'm trying to decide if I should rip as AIFF or use Apple Lossless.

Has anyone gone this route? Terabyte drives are dirt cheap now and I love my ipod classic.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Last count I have 4623 CD's... and I'm not getting ride of any of them.
All of the info on the CD jacket liners would be gone and that alone is worth keeping them around.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Plus, legally if you sell them, you technically do not have the right to rip them and keep the music.

It is essentially the same as downloading illegal albums or copying your friends.

I know everyone is doing it, but that does not make it right.

XJ
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
Plus, legally if you sell them, you technically do not have the right to rip them and keep the music.

It is essentially the same as downloading illegal albums or copying your friends.

XJ

mmm...then technically he can rent them for the price he can sell for a very long long time so he has the rights to keep the ripped music (since he still owns them)?

though I have no idea how to make this renting legal in anywhere in the world...just an idea...
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Nut

I've been trying to sift through mine and want to get rid of a bunch. I actually filled a bin and let my friends have at it, but I'd like to even get 2 bucks at some used cd store considering I probably have a few hundred I never listen to anymore and they take up a lot of space.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I've been thinking about what to do as well. I thought about just keeping the cd's and liner notes and tossing the jewel cases. At halloween I'll probably get a bunch of cds ready to offer to the older/teenage "ironic" trick-or-treaters.

Maybe I'll rip em but most of them I don't listen to anyways. I'm trying to declutter and get rid of everything in my life that's not useful. I've got the same problem with audio gear. "It's kind of good, I may have some use for it down the line but I haven't used it for a couple of years. Do I really need to keep it around..."
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I still find it amazing at how many people could care less about the artwork, inserts, etc. I would never sell my CD's, or Vinyl!
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Who says anything about throwing away?

a) Rip to USB drive as flac
b) Newegg.com - WD TV HD Media Player - External Hard Drives
c) White Paper CD Envelopes 5 x 5" S-7067 - Uline for cds
d) IKEA | CD & DVD storage | Paper & media boxes | KASSETT | CD box with lid to store cds
e) Manila folder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for art / inserts
f) recycle the plastic / paper covers

Since doing this, I have been listening to more music then ever--flac, so not mp3--and w/the cds in uline envelopes, at a FRACTION of the space. Mine is hidden in the living room...accessible via remote control, yet invisible. since its not computer driven, it's a lot easier for everyone to use. and usb storage so if one drive fills up, just get [email protected]

I actually don't keep the art for many things. I wish I had but thems the bricks.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Im a LP type guy
Old 9th April 2009
Sky
Lives for gear

I have been ripping my small collection to 192kbps AAC and will keep all the ripped CDs for ethical reasons. Also, when I'm in the mood for hifi over convenience I can still play the CD.

Sky
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Be careful!

Keep your CDs. Trust me.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

My CDs are all in storage with some of them on HD in AIFF/Wav/AAC formats. I do miss having walls of CDs but no place for them now and also clients tend to walk out with CDs leaving the covers in place! heh
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Addict

Funny story about collecting CDs, about 2 years ago I bought a limited indie release CD 250 copies only. A year later my friend had discovered that the CDs were selling on eBay upwards of $150 (no joke) I was really proud of myself for buying the limited release.

My friend had decided to sell his copy and cash in, I told him no I'm keeping mine the prices can only go up as it becomes rearer, then a few months later the band decides to do a re-release of the album and now the price are back to $9.99 per CD and even available in iTunes I guess CDs will never attain the vintage value of vinyl.
Old 9th April 2009
Les
Lives for gear

I ripped my cd collection to .flac last year. It would have been an impossible amount of work without feedb finding the title/artist information automatically. Too much typing.

Average album in .flac was about 300 meg, so no problems with finding space.

Playing them back through my RME interface sounds better than my fairly high end cd player, which is now kind of retired.

I still use the cds in a player in the car.

Les
Old 9th April 2009
I have well over 1000 CD's. they are in boxes in the basement and periodically I've thought about getting rid of them, but since I didn't rip them at lossless when I did the vast majority of them, 8 years ago, I probably should. that said the prospect of ripping 1000 CD's AGAIN is just too daunting. when I did it I was concerned with space, but there is no problem with that any more.

frankly I wish there were an option in iTunes where I could rip them at lossless and have it transfer stuff on my iPods at an arbitrary bit depth. I realize it would take more time to sync, but frankly I'd be willing to deal with that. I could listen at home to high quality, and ride the bike or listen in the car wher it doesn't matter so much at 128 or such.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I don't know how computer savy we all are...but...

FLAC, I believe, has metadata. So if one had two external storage drives ($100 USD for 1TB! Unbelievable), one could put all the flac stuff on one and...convert the flac to mp3 on the other. I believe it could be done in one fell swoop. Doesn't answer the auto bit rate conversion but...

I love the wd hd tv thing. It has hdmi / tos link out, so if one wanted, one could hook it up to a high end dac etc (which is my plan at some point) and get an extremely compact media playback center (it also does hd video etc).

Anyway, since ripping to flac I have found I listen to a lot more stuff. It used to be I had a 5 disc cd changer and I would rotate around. Last night, I cycled from Iz to DJ Spooky to Handel's Water Music.

I of course own all my music and would never trash my cds.
Old 9th April 2009
i still buy CDs. not download, but the actual hard copy. i do the same with DVDs, books, etc.

i'm 25 years old, and a lot of people say i'm a bit of an old man, but i feel that downloads are the death of music as an art form and the transition into all music being just background noise to pose to.*

i love my CDs and i love the album art. i also love the crappy cracked cases and the scratched disks that don't work. there are some that i just would not sell.

(*my personal ranting.. it's probably not true, but meh!)
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I've got about 7TB of data (mostly ripped CD's and other music) on disc now... I still find myself going back to the same 10-15albums to listen to... But dammit, I'm not gonna delete any of that data!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt View Post
I've got about 7TB of data (mostly ripped CD's and other music)
Wow... there's no emoticon here for the awe I have for your collection...

I have around 3000 albums, plus about a hundred vinyl rips in 96/24, and that's not even 1 TB...
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

CDs and books are valuable items to me - I wouldn't get rid of either because both are the closest to collecting "art" as I get. I'm not much for visual art, but I have a deep love for writing and music. As for CDs as a medium, I love the liners, and I prefer listening to them over MP3 or iPod.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Last count I have 4623 CD's... and I'm not getting ride of any of them.
All of the info on the CD jacket liners would be gone and that alone is worth keeping them around.
Yep, same here. I didn't realize there where others that owned so many cd's like myself. It seems that should be a prerequisite for being an engineer. How can you create great sounding work if you aren't extremely well versed in what has come before you?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
It seems that should be a prerequisite for being an engineer. How can you create great sounding work if you aren't extremely well versed in what has come before you?
I agree 100%. I bought my first CD in 1985. It was Stings-Dream of the Blue Turtle.
And just because I thought it was a good time, I went and pulled it out and it plays perfect today... some 24 years later.

Many of the CD's I own are no longer in print/manufacturing.
Hold on to your cd's, it's a little part of history.
Old 10th April 2009
Deleted User
Keep ur cds. Im a teen and im still buying cds i never download. By selling them all its like giving into the man.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I ripped mine 4 years ago and haven't pulled them out since. I went AAC for stuff I didn't care about and a mix of lossless and aiff for others.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
frankly I wish there were an option in iTunes where I could rip them at lossless and have it transfer stuff on my iPods at an arbitrary bit depth. I realize it would take more time to sync, but frankly I'd be willing to deal with that. I could listen at home to high quality, and ride the bike or listen in the car wher it doesn't matter so much at 128 or such.
Pretty sure there is, or at least was.

I do recall seeing an option with my old original iPod Shuffle that allowed you to re-encode the files to a lower bitrate when transferring to the Shuffle.

Not sure if that has changed with most of the iPods being much bigger in capacity these days.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

I am ripping my CD collection too. I use WAV. I kinda like having all my music on external drives. I haven't counted but I have at least 500+ CDs. They will be stored in the basement.
While I still buy vinyls. And this collection is a lot larger. I have bought over 100 Vinyls just this year (mostly old stuff).

But, just like crufty said already, with having all in one place I'm listening to more different music.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the discourse on this topic.

I just got an ipod and did a cross-country trip. Let me tell you, there's something nice about having thousands of songs-- all organized in-- one collection. I've been ripping an organizing them for the past 8 years, so my collection is prime. It's like listening to a radio station where every song is a favorite!

As a producer/engineer, it's very enlightening to put the thing on shuffle, and notice various trends across years and across genres. As someone else mentioned, it makes me want to listen to more music now. My car stereo, bedroom stereo and boombox all have aux ins, so I'm taking my music collection everywhere!

I think I will keep the discs, since I've already lugged them from Miami to LA. And they are worth far more than $1- $2.

Also, years ago I slimmed down my collection from several thousand to around 1000. Now my entire collection are things I actually want to listen to. I weeded out the industry freebies I acquired (that I didn't like) and the singles. I know I'm late to the game, but the ipod has been really inspiring. Just in time for the LA traffic jams!
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post

XJ
True that!
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I find that my attention span shortens when I play from the computer, - I'll rarely hear a whole album, as I will if I play the CD.
I'll keep my CD's but maybe weed them out a bit.

Actually, this is a really sad thread. The material has no value anymore. Why? We don't trust that the CD will be a widely used format anymore... Right? But still, the artwork means something, in framing the album?

It's so paradoxical, vinyl seems to survive
all the fads and digital formats the businessmen come up with. I have more CD's than vinyl btw. Guess I should have had it the other way. And vinyl even gets worn, yet it survives.

Honestly, this whole deal makes me sad, the physical album format vanishing. I mean, how many would honestly read War and Peace (if ever ...) as an E-book. Yikes. Its the same thing. We just instinctively know that digital formats are vaporous?

Books, vinyl, but not cds?
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
I have around 1000 CDs, and am thinking of ripping them all and lightening my load.

I'm trying to decide if I should rip as AIFF or use Apple Lossless.

Has anyone gone this route? Terabyte drives are dirt cheap now and I love my ipod classic.
I'm keeping mine since mp3's just don't sound as good and are just are not as cool. No artwork, no credits?? it's not tangible. I love CD's and LP's I still use cassettes and 8tracks. It's all better than mp3. MP3 is cool for 14 year old teenie boppers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search