The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
distressor vs. ELOP manley
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

distressor vs. ELOP manley

looking at 2 chnl comps for around 2K. distressor vs. ELOP (Manley). will be used primarily on drums (K,s, ovhds) and voxs. what is the difference in sound?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

distressor = versatile chameleon

elop = special (slow)... voc, solo instruments...

I don't have any direct exp with them, but these are pretty different animals for "VS" type post ;-).
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Guru

I find the manley to be pretty useless on Drums.

I like it on Vocals and Bass though.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Guru

i fully agree, the elop on drums is not a good thing.

but i disagree with the characterization of it as slow; elop's are very, very fast, on both the attack and the release; essentially, they're in and out like lightning. the effect of that on drums is that you lose the initial transient, often under 1ms, and everything else is untouched, so drums lose their punch but don't sound any bigger.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

dito,

most often use the distressor for drums and guitar, just got an elop 2 month ago and enjoying it on vox and sometimes gtrbuss...
there´s´no real "VS", get both or start with a distressor heh
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

;-) as I said, no exp with it, just estimating it from LA2A plug ;-). And it has ~ fast attack and slow release IMO. Drums &co generaly sound deaf... but there are times I use it on kick (sample).
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

i have to disagree with the other posters that you can´t use the elop on drums, it works very well on the drum buss. but yes, if you really need to compress kick and snare individually the distressor is the way to go

FWIW, they are both wonderful units, as it has been said before, the distressor is the swiss army knife, but the elop is probably my favorite tracking comp: bass, vox, acoustic guitar, synth... and its set it and forget it.

you need both
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the red
you need both

you, sir, have the correct attitude. thumbsup

gregoire
del ubik
Old 24th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha
;-) as I said, no exp with it, just estimating it from LA2A plug ;-). And it has ~ fast attack and slow release IMO. Drums &co generaly sound deaf... but there are times I use it on kick (sample).
don't go by the LA2a plug in, the only thing it has in common with an La2a is the picture of an La2a
Old 24th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiandishinger
looking at 2 chnl comps for around 2K. distressor vs. ELOP (Manley). will be used primarily on drums (K,s, ovhds) and voxs. what is the difference in sound?
For vocals the elop is a much better box. For drums the parametric nature of the distressor works better. You really should have both. Just figure out which you need first.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Addict

i hear that the pendulum version of the elop sounds better. haven't tested it though. just word of mouth. i'm looking to pick up either one or the other. they are about the same price. maybe someones else can chime in and tell you the difference between the two.
Old 24th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

I had a Langevin Dual Vocal Combo in here, and they don't throw the word "vocal" in there for nothing. That box really is well suited to vocals when it comes to the ELOP and the EQ section.

I really liked the ELOP on voice and guitar, but not on bass and drums.

If you're going for the ELOP give Fletcher a call at Mercenary. He's got the Distressor too!

War
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha
;-) as I said, no exp with it, just estimating it from LA2A plug ;-). And it has ~ fast attack and slow release IMO.

d'oh!

my friend, these things don't work that way. the la-2a is not the elop, and the plug-in is neither (although the meter does behave similarly to the real deal).

the attack on a real la-2a is lightning, something like 10 microseconds (!). the release is variable: the first half is quick but then it gets slow for the second half. that reduces pumping and is part of the smooth character of the box.

the manley/langevin elops are in and out with the quickness, so they're transparent at lower GR but get hairier as you dig in, like an 1176 or distressor, because the release is so fast it's practically riding the waveform (and distorting it as it goes).

gregoire
del ubik
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

;-) nice to know. I knew I was stepping on very very thin ice, "comparing" plugin LA2A to different device. Thanks for elaborating.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

owning one for about three years now its great for tracking, horrible for drums (unless your trimming off less than 2bd) it misses the first transient and pulls all of the drum tone out. this box is amazing as a tracking compressor for vocals, bass, and crunchy electrics. You really don't hear it untill you start digging deep or the program is being very dynamic and you have the Gr moving really fast in terms of realease and attack. The single best thing i like about this box like most of manleys gear is has a slight color to it that softens a little low end and gives a little top end hair, its not really colored that much so its more versitile as a tracking compessor (or leveling amp to be specific) than a La-2A but doesn't have the tone like one. Distressors are great tools that are very versitile, all around great box but much different than the elop, as I'll rather be using the elop while tracking. As said before get both.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search