The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HDB Audio Tube Spring Reverb & Preamps
Old 15th April 2003
Here for the gear

HDB Audio Tube Spring Reverb & Preamps

HDB Audio are a German manufacturer of all tube analog outboard.

We are distributing them mainly in the UK but we have also shipped to the US.

Their products are all literally hand built and have a great high class feel to them. They also sound fantastic.

One great unit is the TSR-3 Tube Spring Reverb that uses 2 tubes as a preamp to the reverb. So forget about wasting big bucks on a Fender reissue get hold of one of these.

The HDB Audio range really is affordable when compared to "other" makes.

Check out our website for a whole host of great HBD Audio products at

www.gargantuansound.com www.gargantuansound.com
Attached Thumbnails
HDB Audio Tube Spring Reverb & Preamps-hdb-audio-valve-display.jpg  
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

WWW Link doesn't work.

R.
Old 15th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Dat ain't da produc, izzit? Where da knobs at, yo? What do I do, turn da toobs?

heh
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Addict

If that big pale donut thing I can see inside is a nice fat toroidal transformer, I'm guessing it's a nicely powered valve amp??

Audiophile, anyone??

Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Neon tubes. Yummy. Reminds me of the "Flux Capacitor" in back to the future.

stikeONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGA WATTS!!!!!stike
Old 23rd April 2003
Here for the gear

HDB Audio TSR-3 Valve Spring Reverb - New

The link works from my end.

www.gargantuansound.com

The tube"display" is basically a high end amp that was made for the Frankfurt show. Its not the reverb.

You need to click on HDB Audio and then sellect TSR 3 Tube Spring Reverb.

It sounds great and the best new reverb around. In my opinion only spring and plate reverb are any use. All the digital reverbs sound really lame to me.

Cheers
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
HDB Audio Tube Spring Reverb & Preamps-tsr-3-pix-front-very-big.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: HDB Audio TSR-3 Valve Spring Reverb - New

Quote:
Originally posted by GargantuanSound

It sounds great and the best new reverb around. In my opinion only spring and plate reverb are any use. All the digital reverbs sound really lame to me.
You WOULD say that though, wouldn't you?

R.
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: HDB Audio TSR-3 Valve Spring Reverb - New

Quote:
The tube"display" is basically a high end amp that was made for the Frankfurt show. Its not the reverb.
I think you took the ribbing a bit too literally.
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Nut

I'm confused......

Is there ONE input and TWO outputs?

The link says "INPUTS" with an 's' at the end but says 1/4" jack.

The "OUTPUTS" (also with an 's' at the end) say 1/4" left/right.

Is it mono in / stereo out (not sure what the stereo part would be), or is it mono in/out?
Old 25th April 2003
Here for the gear

I would say that , yes!

But I mean it!

Otherwise I wouldn't have 3 reverbs in my own racks!

The reverb is mono in and stereo out, because it is a spring reverb it would be a little unnecessary to have stereo ins. who uses stereo ins anyway?

Cheers

Karl
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
who uses stereo ins anyway?
(timidly raising hand...) ummm.... me?

Say i want to add reverb to a submixed group of background vocals. I'll use a stereo send into a stereo reverb input. That way the addition of reverb (if it's true stereo or dual mono) won't dilute any panning I've done on the individual tracks.

maybe I'm just being silly...?
Old 27th April 2003
Here for the gear

OK, so I exaggerated a bit with the stereo ins thing!

But having said that is your "submixed group of background vocals" 2 channels of mono tracks? Or 1 premixed tack [which will be then mono!].

If so that's exactly what I meant by who uses stereo ins anyway.

Whenever reverb is applied the initial panning is often blurred somewhat by the reverb giving more of a "widescreen mono" sound instead of an obvious stereo effect.

In most cases reverb is used on one tack at a time. Thing of vocals, guitar, even on multi miked drum kits, if you add artificial reverb it is to 1 tack at a time ie snare etc. The overheads are generally for reverb/room sound anyway!
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, so I exaggerated a bit with the stereo ins thing!

But having said that is your "submixed group of background vocals" 2 channels of mono tracks? Or 1 premixed tack [which will be then mono!].

If so that's exactly what I meant by who uses stereo ins anyway.

Whenever reverb is applied the initial panning is often blurred somewhat by the reverb giving more of a "widescreen mono" sound instead of an obvious stereo effect.

In most cases reverb is used on one tack at a time. Thing of vocals, guitar, even on multi miked drum kits, if you add artificial reverb it is to 1 tack at a time ie snare etc. The overheads are generally for reverb/room sound anyway!
Wow! You've lost me completely!

Aren't all stereo tracks really two mono tracks if you only listen to one at a time? So what exactly is your point?

I thought I was reasonably clear, but here goes again:

I've got eight tracks of (mono) BU vox, fanned out via panning across the stereo field. They are being submixed to a stereo pair faders, from which a stereo aux send (or a pair of mono ones) will be utilized to add reverb. In this case, I find a true stereo reverb to be useful. I find occasion to add reverb to many other examples of stereo tracks, like string submixes, horn submixes, percussion submixes, etc

Yes, I admit it's a small point, but you are the one who said "who uses stereo reverb inputs?". So I timidly raised my hand. Probably I shouldn't have, because now clearly I'm in over my head, as I can't figure out what the hell your last post was all about!
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Addict

I'm on little dogs side on this one. No - the stereo tracks aren't two mono channels. sometimes they are eight or sixteen mono channels. The panning is essential to retain clarity of the "too many background vocals" effect we are after - muddy-ing it all up with a mono in processor ruins it.

Of course - there are several good ways around this problem...
#1 - Buy two units !
#2 - use the unit in mono print the effect with two passes
#3 - bitch and moan while not buying any lame mono in devices - until they release it in stereo in

(or better yet - bitch and moan until everything is surround in and surround out!! - yeah thats right all - tube - all surround - just kidding.)
Old 27th April 2003
Here for the gear

Yes stereo tacks are not 2 mono tracks, but having said that the stereo track does come out of your mixing board on 2 seperate tracks. So in your case of keeping a stereo picture I would presume that using stereo ins on a reverb device would be the most staightforward. The HDB doesn't have 2 ins and you would need 2 units just like Paul Turpin mentions.

The HDB reverb wasn't designed to be used in a stereo in method anyway and I have to admit I never used stereo ins. Purely because adding any reverb to a stereo signal muddies the stereo placement. Even with a stereo in reverb device. The returned signal will not be as an obvious stereo effect as before hand. [am I making sense!] I often pan the returned reverb signal to the opposite side of the original signal. I am then getting a quasi stereo sound out of 2 monos!

However I digress and the main point is that this reverb only has mono ins! But with a stereo out!

Cheers everyone!
Old 28th April 2003
Gear Nut

What's the difference between the two 'outs'?

Is the stereo effect two different springs?

(thanks for answering all the questions btw)
Old 28th April 2003
Here for the gear

The 2 outs just duplicate the original mono signal just with the reverb added.

So its a quasi stereo reverb. You would pan the reyrns of the reverb left and right on the mixing board.

There is only 1 reverb tay with 3 springs. The tubes are both ECC83 and act as a preamp and for the main input signal as well as for the preamp driver fro the springs.

I'm happy to answer any questions as long as I know the answer!

Thanks
Karl

www.gargantuansound.com
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear