The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
totally unsexy power amp questions...
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

totally unsexy power amp questions...

I'm looking at going from a Hafler P3000 to a P7000 to drive my Dynaudio BM15p's - but the P7000 is fan-cooled. Two questions for anyone with experience with the P7000:

1) The Hafler literature seems to lean toward referencing sound reinforcement and live work with the P7000 - is it equally suitable driving studio monitors, or should it stay in the live category? Besides the fans, is there anything about it that make it less than ideal for studio monitors?

2) Are the onboard fans loud? I'll have the amp sitting on the floor behind my mixing desk in an open rack. I'd imagine the mix will drown out the fan noise, but sitting idle, is the amp noticeable?

I called Hafler Customer Service a couple days ago with these exact questions and the rep I talked to didn't "have any experience with these products" (I was also asking him about the 9505). Hm.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Any reason you're stuck on this Hafler? I'd shy away from one w/ fans. I've had great luck using the older Urei amps. I've got a pair of the 6360's (is that the right number?) as well as one of the smaller ones too. They all are dead silent and sound great. Of course, I'm running them with JBL monitors....4412, 4411, etc....

later,
m
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet
Any reason you're stuck on this Hafler?
The main reason is that I can get one at a decent price right now. I just missed out on a 9505 on eBay a couple days ago. Oh well. Perhaps I just wait and see.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search