The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Minimus 7, which ones?
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Minimus 7, which ones?

I'm looking for a pair of Minimus 7 for checking mixes, I see all kinds of used ones and I'm wondering which are supposedly the best. There's white, black, silver, grey...I'm confused. Anyone have a model or some sort of # to designate the proper run?

Amy amp suggestions, possibly my home Harmon Kardon?

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of the original black ones for sale. excellent condition. Email me if you're interested.

[email protected]

Thanks...
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Are you saying the black ones are the desired ones everyone use to make a fuss over?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

They're just cosmetic options.

All the same innards.

I have a pair, they happen to be black.

Frankly, I don't use them much for anything other than a quick radio ref, and I use a SONY boom box that does it much more accurately.

No difference on colour for the specs, though.
Old 23rd July 2005
There are new[er] Minimus-7 models, now, but I think they have a suffix.

Here's a user created info page (a search of Radio Shack's current site produced nada):

www.angelfire.com/ vt/audio/minimus.html

As you can see there were several different speakers with that number.

The Minimus 7 came at a time when small, cheap speakers were seldom listenable. They're 10 month a year price of $50/ea was too high but for two months every year RS would drop the price to $30, which was just about right.

You got A LOT of metal for your money. These speakers were weapons-grade heavy... if you had the strength to pick them up, anyhow. Even though they were tiny, they were very dense with metal.

Like anybody who played sports and got in fights, I found myself with an often broken nose that had a distinct bend to one side in the middle... kind of like a very subtle parentheses. It was really only noticeable when looking straight on, but it made the nasal passage way easy to block.

I had a pair of Minimus 7's sitting on the wooden bedstands on either side of my double bed about ten years ago. One morning I reached for something behind one of the nightstands, snagged the speaker cable and pulled a Minimus 7 off and down about 8" flat onto the side of my nose.

It hurt like a long string of automatically-inserted wagging finger smilies. And a half.

I was frozen in pain, howling in bed but I finally made my way into the bathroom to look in the mirror.

I broke out laughing when I saw that the blow had actually straightened my nose.

Not only that, it was easier to breath aftewards.

So, say what you will about the Minimus 7's sound qualities -- they have a special place in my heart as a rhinoplasty substitute.

And, like an SM57, you can pound nails with them all day long without and still have a working speaker at the end of the day...
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Was looking for some info, need to get some Minimus 7's repaired, and came across this post.

This is one of the funniest f-ing stories I've ever read on GS.

Revival time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
You got A LOT of metal for your money. These speakers were weapons-grade heavy... if you had the strength to pick them up, anyhow. Even though they were tiny, they were very dense with metal.

Like anybody who played sports and got in fights, I found myself with an often broken nose that had a distinct bend to one side in the middle... kind of like a very subtle parentheses. It was really only noticeable when looking straight on, but it made the nasal passage way easy to block.

I had a pair of Minimus 7's sitting on the wooden bedstands on either side of my double bed about ten years ago. One morning I reached for something behind one of the nightstands, snagged the speaker cable and pulled a Minimus 7 off and down about 8" flat onto the side of my nose.

It hurt like a long string of automatically-inserted wagging finger smilies. And a half.

I was frozen in pain, howling in bed but I finally made my way into the bathroom to look in the mirror.

I broke out laughing when I saw that the blow had actually straightened my nose.

Not only that, it was easier to breath aftewards.

So, say what you will about the Minimus 7's sound qualities -- they have a special place in my heart as a rhinoplasty substitute.

And, like an SM57, you can pound nails with them all day long without and still have a working speaker at the end of the day...
Old 13th February 2012
heh

I don't have any specific info on repairs. But I suspect what you're going to need to do (after googling to make sure there's nothing obvious out there, mind you -- and there may well be, these were one of the most mass produced speakers ever) will be to open them up, get the driver measurements, and order two new acoustic suspension speakers. (If you could match the cone resonance, that would be even better.) You could try buying just one -- but, let's face it, even if the drivers were identical manufacture, if one's old and worn in and the other is brand new, the sound isn't likely to be uniform.

Don't just buy any old speakers that fit, though. They're sealed cases and designed only to work properly with acoustic suspension drivers.*

*Just to belabor the perhaps-obvious, acoustic suspension speakers are very low resonance -- if you try putting them in a ported enclosure or playing them bare, the likely result will be a woofy, distorted sound, because they actually are intended to depend on a small sealed enclosure to raise their resonance to something usable. It's a clever and effective idea -- but they're not very efficient. However, they tend to have less resonance peaks/more even response than ported (bass reflex) speakers. [NS10's -- which I also have a pair of -- are probably the best known of semi-contemporary acoustic suspension speakers.]
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

Funny. This thread reminded me that I have a pair of Minimum 7's that I bought in probably the late 80's that have never been used. I haven't even thought about them in years. Do you think it would be gaudy to power them with a McIntosh MC-250? I've got one of those I've never used either. I could put them alongside my monitors, or maybe put them on wall brackets near my weight bench.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Maniac

In all the times I worked at Village Recorders there were Minimus 7's on the monitor bridge. This was in the 80's.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

OK, then they're definitely getting the McIntosh and going next to my monitors.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

If you look on ebay there is someone who sells a crossover kit that is supposed to dramatically improve the sound, and the same person sells a woofer and crossover upgrade that is suppoed to do that even more. I was considering it for a while. I have a single driver minimus set, minimus 3 maybe? They work well for checking the mixes.
Old 13th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Funny. This thread reminded me that I have a pair of Minimum 7's that I bought in probably the late 80's that have never been used. I haven't even thought about them in years. Do you think it would be gaudy to power them with a McIntosh MC-250? I've got one of those I've never used either. I could put them alongside my monitors, or maybe put them on wall brackets near my weight bench.
Sweet. I've actually got a late 60s McIntosh hybrid receiver a buddy gave me... I've been trying to figure out what to do with it... maybe grab a pair of Minimus 7's out of the garage. I've got at least one pair left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
If you look on ebay there is someone who sells a crossover kit that is supposed to dramatically improve the sound, and the same person sells a woofer and crossover upgrade that is suppoed to do that even more. I was considering it for a while. I have a single driver minimus set, minimus 3 maybe? They work well for checking the mixes.
Yeah... that's like dropping a 427 into a Pinto. You can do it but... it ain't gonna make it a Cobra. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search