The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to use electric guitar pedals when recording acoustic
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

How to use electric guitar pedals when recording acoustic

Where and how can I insert my guitar pedals when micing an acoustic guitar. All of my outboard gear is balanced though I do have an fmr rnc which I made special xlr to ts cables - is it not good to go to and from my pedals with those cables?

I do have an acoustic pickup with 1/4" cable out, but I'd rather go through my microphones.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

These are oddball ways to get there, but you could try this:

- use a high impedance (guitar level) mic) plugged into whatever effect you wish to track with, then out to a DI box to change impedance to mic or line level to get into the recording device.
- mic the guitar like you normally would, but put a contact mic(again, hi impedance) or use the gtr DI to run to pedals...monitor only the effected chain

Its important to note that you'll need some serious isolation type headphones to accurately hear what is REALLY going to the recorder.

I think I would prefer using the traditional micing techniques, then send that track through a reamp device, to pedals, then back to line level....this way you will have much more control over what goes on....

Hope you get some use out of these ideas...
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Maniac

A much more direct way of doing this would be to use a reamp box in conjunction with a D.I. box. A reamp box will allow a line level signal to act like the output of an instrument, and the D.I. box will convert it back. Your signal chain should look something like this:

acoustic guitar => mic => preamp => reamp box => effects pedals => D.I. box => recording interface
Old 22nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Gratuitous excuse for posting this ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search