The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing Orchestra in with Pop rock song
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Mixing Orchestra in with Pop rock song

Ok Guys, I'm about to embark on a huge mixing project. I have to mix an entire orchestra (Garritan-programmed well) with a big pop-rock song. Any tips on shoehorning it all in?
H.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Bounce them!

Actually,

depending on the context of the song, whether the orchestration is backing up the band or the orchestration is the melody of the song.

My trick is usually a reverb that i would use ONLY on the orchestra and blend it a little with the band, plus longer predelays on the orchesrtra.

Not knowing the song, take my suggestion with a grain of salt
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Used to work at a studio where we had all the Garritan strings. Usually I find mixing an orchestra with an avarage pop/rock song not that difficult (as always depending on the material and arrangement)...but with the Garritan strings. Horrible.
I really grew to hate that library. Maybe you have the option of doing it in the new EastWest library. It's what I'm using now and it is a huge difference.
Garritan sound ok on it's own but in the mix it just doesn't work.
Though he might have a new library out now. I'm talking the Garritan strings that came out in 2002.

Cheers, Julian
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Guru

try putting the strings thru a spacious medium room algo (tc is nice for this) at 100% wet, and seating the whole thing behind the band. lots of sweet midrange, it'll sound like ass when solo'd.

also, panning is gonna be a huge factor; throw everything out to the edges, or keep it all tucked in between the guitars.

have fun!

gregoire
del ubik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search