The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dave Pensado's RenComp LA2A/LA3A Settings
Old 6th April 2009
Here for the gear

Dave Pensado's RenComp LA2A/LA3A Settings

Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and found many inspiring comments, useful production tips, nice product reviews, etc. - Thanks for that!

This is my first post, and i'm interested to hear your opinions about Dave Pensado's LA2A/LA3A settings for the Waves Renaissance Compressor. I found it here: Dave Pensado's Plug-In Secrets (bottom of the page). I've never heard a "real" LAxA (nor the UAD emulations), so i was wondering if those of you who have find this setting behaves in a similar manner to the hardware (or UAD emu)? I find it a bit strange that the attack time is set to 2ms... I believe a LA2A has a slower attack time, hasn't it?

thanks,
benny
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

What's strange about those pics is how it doesn't display the plug in name. For example, instead of "Filterbank E6", you get "Neve vocal", which looks like it was super imposed over it with a larger font. This is true for all the plug ins on that page. I'm guessing the EM editor(s) had a reason for doing this and did it themselves.

As for the question about the attack times, of course they are different. They are different between the hardware LA models. I think the main thing to get from that screen shot is the "opto" setting, which is a softer knee than electro. There's also no mention of if the LA2A is in limiter or compressor mode (it can be assumed it's referring to compressor).
Old 6th April 2009
Here for the gear

e-cue, thanks for your answer. Btw: I've tried that particular RenComp setting on a vocal track and it gave a nice overall sound, but it tended to accentuate plosives and sibilants.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

If those lines that Pensado wrote there were copied and put into a post by a "normal" (meaning not worshipped) GS member, oh boy, folks here would be all over him to tell him what a deaf, stupid, incompetent idiot he is and that if he is unable to hear or appreciate the differences that the much better hardware makes, he should better get a job at mcdonalds instead of ruining his clients recordings.

...using L1 and RenComp instead of an LA2A, hahahaaaa, a Bombfactory Fairchild over a real one, MC DSP instead of 1073 and 1081.....wonderful heh

And while the war would rage on here, Dave Pensado would sit in his studio making more money and better mixes than all of the guys hacking into their keyboards...

Rock on!
Pat
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Can't comment on the LA2A settings.......but the RComp L-1 combo is all over my stuff. Glad to see that I'm in good company.

I like that C-1 thing too.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Not to be disrespectful, but read the blurb he wrote about the C1. To the best of my knowledge, the gain reduction in a Waves C1 is broadband, and the plug-in is incapable of doing what he describes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The application he is describing is absolutely common in multi-band compressors, and is certainly not exclusively "his trick." Neither is using a sidechain filter on a broadband compressor.

-Ben B
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but read the blurb he wrote about the C1. To the best of my knowledge, the gain reduction in a Waves C1 is broadband, and the plug-in is incapable of doing what he describes. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) The application he is describing is absolutely common in multi-band compressors, and is certainly not exclusively "his trick." Neither is using a sidechain filter on a broadband compressor.

-Ben B
I'm back to correct myself. My version of the C1 (an older version) is incapable of doing this. The new version does have the ability to apply split band gain reduction (I Googled the manual) -- so I spoke too soon!

Still not his trick though.

-Ben B
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I used C-1 on everything before I went for the Gold and found RComp.

Always liked it.....pretty transparent and responsive with a very friendly interface. When in split mode you can get GR on a pretty narrow band. I actually have chained two or three to act as a multiband.
Old 9th April 2009
Here for the gear

Maybe Pensado uses the C1 with that "trick" in the article instead of something like the C4, because the article is a few years old? I don't know when multiband compressor plug-ins started to become popular, but i'm not sure about the benefit of using a C1 in split band mode against a dedicated multiband compressor.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Sorry but I don't see the point of using someone elses "settings". Settings for what? A jazz song with female vocals, metal song with screaming, a singer songwriter, indie chanting?

It's pretty simple to mess around with compressor settings and there are no real secrets. Find what works for the vocalist and the track that you are working on.

however, if you want to hear about my eq secrets.....
Old 9th April 2009
Here for the gear

Sure. But my point wasn't that these are Dave Pensados (or anyone in particular) settings, but that the setting are supposed to emulate the behavior of a certain type of hardware compressor.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Hey,

Sorry about that, that was my first ever 'internet asshole' post (me being said 'internet asshole'). I have a new baby and I hadn't had my coffee yet...no excuse but.

All the best.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

his LA 2a setting doesn't sound like an LA 2a at all but it is a nice setting for things kind of like that. It really is hard to beat the sound of real tubes and transformers. That being said its like everything else and I think Dave even said it. It just another set of tools not a replacement for the other tools.
Old 9th April 2009
Quote:
If those lines that Pensado wrote there were copied and put into a post by a "normal" (meaning not worshipped) GS member, oh boy, folks here would be all over him to tell him what a deaf, stupid, incompetent idiot he is and that if he is unable to hear or appreciate the differences that the much better hardware makes, he should better get a job at mcdonalds instead of ruining his clients recordings.
This is true.
Old 10th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnybilly View Post
Hey,

Sorry about that, that was my first ever 'internet asshole' post (me being said 'internet asshole'). I have a new baby and I hadn't had my coffee yet...no excuse but.

All the best.
no problem!
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Hi there,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and found many inspiring comments, useful production tips, nice product reviews, etc. - Thanks for that!

This is my first post, and i'm interested to hear your opinions about Dave Pensado's LA2A/LA3A settings for the Waves Renaissance Compressor. I found it here: Dave Pensado's Plug-In Secrets (bottom of the page). I've never heard a "real" LAxA (nor the UAD emulations), so i was wondering if those of you who have find this setting behaves in a similar manner to the hardware (or UAD emu)? I find it a bit strange that the attack time is set to 2ms... I believe a LA2A has a slower attack time, hasn't it?

thanks,
benny
This is a joke thread ...right???
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

It think the biggest thing that anyone can conclude from Pensado´s description is how overrated the entire gear discussion is. We spend years on GS discussing which compressor you NEEEEEEED to get "pro" sound and which other 3.000.- comp (for example the one(s) that had the status the year before.....germanium anyone?) is so lame against it and so an and so forth and will never get you "that" sound which again, you NEEEEEEEED to sound as good as the top of the line mixers. It is all bullsh*t. A good mixer with a Waves mercury bundle is gonna mix circles around others that simply do not have his skills but 300.000.- invested in the finest outboard equipment. As easy as that.

Rock!
Pat

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search