The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the dimension of noise
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

the dimension of noise

We all hate noise, don`t we? So is noise always a bad thing? Well, as we all know sometimes noise has its use to produce more dimension.
So who of you is using noise and if yes how and what kind of?

Some examples of noise to give you an idea of this thread:

1) In a Robby Williams song "If its hurting you" very quiet (near the noise level): a barking dog, an elevator sound, a cricket (a bit louder)...
2) Roomnoise
3) Analogdither anyone is working with this?
4) A sound engineer at TV went out with an remote van, to track the "sound of silence" (you read right). They wanted it, for more live in a TV docu.

Andreas
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
We all hate noise, don`t we?

no.

if it weren't for noise, a lot of the newer music i've been buying these past couple of years wouldn't exist. and it's not noise i'm listening to, it's music, sweet and harmonically rich music. but there's a lot of cleverly sampled, sliced, mangled, filtered, stut.tered, rhythmically arranged noise in there, and it's beautiful.

also, big props to users and abusers of hiss, buzz, hum, pops, clicks, and glitches.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Most of the time guitars and basses I record do not have their volume all the way up because the tone changes. A side-effect of this is more noise since the amp or preamp needs more gain.

This noise is not a bad thing, IMO, and cannot be avoided without accepting a different tone.

Is clean good? Sure, when it comes, and crackling caps or tubes is not my idea of fun. But avoiding inherent noise level of tape, mics, and pre's can't over-ride tone.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
no.
ha, ha... of course, but I had to provoke a bit to get people like you on this thread! (If two or three will post... thats really a lot for this theme)

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
...if it weren't for noise, a lot of the newer music i've been buying these past couple of years wouldn't exist. and it's not noise i'm listening to, it's music, sweet and harmonically rich music. but there's a lot of cleverly sampled, sliced, mangled, filtered, stut.tered, rhythmically arranged noise in there, and it's beautiful.
could you name some of those cds where you noticed that?

thanks Gregoire

Andreas
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

I used vinyl noise recently on a hiphop recording that sounded too "digital" in some way. And it helped quite a lot. It´s kinda like dither noise, but a bit more offensive.

I´m also doing a lot of electronic music, where using all kinds of noise is a common practice. I usually don´t like it too clean.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan
Most of the time guitars and basses I record do not have their volume all the way up because the tone changes. A side-effect of this is more noise since the amp or preamp needs more gain.

This noise is not a bad thing, IMO, and cannot be avoided without accepting a different tone.

Is clean good? Sure, when it comes, and crackling caps or tubes is not my idea of fun. But avoiding inherent noise level of tape, mics, and pre's can't over-ride tone.
...agree with you! And yeah, clean is not always good! But again, my question goes more in the direction if you be aware of using noise in any kind to improve dimension (or music as Gregoire wrote)?

Andreas
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
I used vinyl noise recently on a hiphop recording that sounded too "digital" in some way. And it helped quite a lot. It´s kinda like dither noise, but a bit more offensive.

I´m also doing a lot of electronic music, where using all kinds of noise is a common practice. I usually don´t like it too clean.

Cheers,
Bill
Hi Billster, how loud do you mix your noises? As an noticeable effect or very less? I mean how do you judge the sweetspot?

Andreas
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

if i'm programming a synth patch that i expect to overdrive/distort, i'll somehow work in a velocity sensitive attack noise to make it cut through the mix. the idea being that notes that recieve emphasis push the distortion box into a crumbly/scratchy/nasty state for a split second (30-80ms?) at the beginning of the note. i'll make an envelope that has a high value for that first 30-80ms and then drops back to zero, and apply it to filter resonance, feedback, simple white noise, what ever seems to work for the sound and gets the distortion to break up nicely.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Sorry, but I love noise when it works. One of my favorite recordings I ever did was a ballad done on acoustic guitar. At the end of the track, as the music was fading from the last guitar chord, a ambulance wizzed by.

That sound of an ambulance was just genius. We had to leave it in.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

ONe of my favourite tracks, Refused, New Noise, off the shape of punk to come, has this massive roaring crowd noise going through alot of it, and becomes really apparent in the final breakdown before the end, just makes the whole song sound MASSIVE and very rock. It puts it in a space without using reverb, very clever.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
4) A sound engineer at TV went out with an remote van, to track the "sound of silence" (you read right). They wanted it, for more live in a TV docu.
It's also necessary to record some 'room' during film or tv production to use when editing dialogue.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Noise is one of the main components of electronic music these days.

In fact, I think when people listen back to the electronic music of the past few years it will be like be-bop. You'll instantly recognise the period from the use, in otherwise pristince recordings, of controlled noise. People who like to categorise tend to term it 'glitch' music.

Sometimes it's fairly subtle, just replacing hats and cymbals with pops and hisses etc..(e.g. Micro-House). There is music like Basic Channel which deliberately layer up vinyl surface noise to create an ambience. Monolake used recordings of outdoor noise in their music. Then there are the extreme forms like Merzbow's Japanese noise records which are made entirely from noise.

Recording noise is the only reason I have for owning a microphone.
Old 23rd July 2005
azz
Gear Head

Noise can be great if its used in the right way
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Billster, how loud do you mix your noises? As an noticeable effect or very less? I mean how do you judge the sweetspot?

Andreas
It depends on the project really, but that is always hard to decide.

When noise is not part of drum / groove programming but more of a background smoothener, I´ll make it just so loud that you hear it, when you listen carefully to the music. A tad louder than the border of perception I guess you could say.

I try to take into account that the noise comes up even more when the track is being mastered.

Greetz,
Bill

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search