The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daniel Lanois's new album
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Daniel Lanois's new album

Anyone know anything about the recording of Daniel Lanois's new album Belladonna? Sonically and in the writing it's really deep and lovely - I wonder how much was tracked together, that sort of thing.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

no vocals right?

i haven't heard it yet.

i love "shine"
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I got this email from DL web site:

DANIEL LANOIS and TORTOISE TO COLLABORATE ON HISTORIC TOUR

Two of the most singular and note-worthy* artists in the music world today, Daniel Lanois and Tortoise will be touring together this fall, both as co headliners and as collaborators.**

On this tour Tortoise, in addition to playing their own set, will back up Lanois during his set for a one-of-a-kind night of musical alchemy. Tortoise and Daniel Lanois are both giants in their respective niche's, and while their music can be perceived as very different, this tour will explore that space where two distinct sensibilities come together.

Daniel Lanois, who has been called the most influential producer of his generation due to acclaimed albums with Brian Eno, U2, Dylan, Peter Gabriel and others, has also built a venerated body of work in his own right.* His new album, Belladonna, is an instrumental* record featuring his own stunning work on the pedal steel guitar blended with the organic atmospherics and haunting sonic textures that he is known for.

CMJ magazine called Belladonna "an aural buzz of pedal steel guitar, dusty drum kits and layers upon layers of mood, mood, mood that reveal themselves after repeat listens", while Performing Songwriter says about the record: "Belladonna is an immersive, alluring work, as mysterious and evocative as a dry wind."

Tortoise are indie music icons whose several albums over the past decade have helped them achieve a unique reverence amongst music fans of all kinds.* The high priests of the Chicago music scene, and of what has been dubbed the “post-rock” movement, Tortoise have consistently set new standards for musicianship and creativity. With a highly anticipated collaborative album featuring vocalist Will Oldham due this November, they add yet another dimension to their already legendary oeuvre.

Entertainment Weekly says “with melodies and sensations slipping in and out of focus…it’s mood music for post-post-moderns, both forward and backward looking”, while Rolling Stone says, “To be smart and original, playful and provocative – those are the standards Tortoise really aspire to, and that they achieve…as ingeniously as ever.”

10/6** Boston* -* Sommerville Theatre
10/7** NYC* -* Irving Plaza
10/8** Philadelphia* -* Theatre of Living Arts
10/10** Chicago* -* Logan Square or Park West (TBA)
10/11** Madison* -* Barrymore Theatre
10/12** Minneapolis* -* The Fine Lin
10/14** Boulder* -* The Fox Theatre
10/15** Salt Lake City* -* Suede
10/17** Vancouver* -* Commodore Ballroom
10/18** Seattle* -* Neumos
10/19** Portland *-* Alladin Theatre
10/20 & 10/21* San Francisco* -* The Independent
10/22* Los Angeles* -* The Avalon
*daniellanois.com

Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks,

i've never heard tortoise

maybe i'll see you at
irving plaza........

- jack
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

See you at the TLA
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

I believe they're playing for free in Battery Park on the 27th in NYC next week. 7pm at the Governor Nelson Rockefeller park.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
I got this email from DL web site:

DANIEL LANOIS and TORTOISE TO COLLABORATE ON HISTORIC TOUR
holy cow. That is going to be the show of the year. Tortoise puts on a heck of a concert. These two bands probably have the most impressive studio creations of the last year or so, seeing what they do live will be really neat.

And they're playing in Madison, my ol' home town!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

I undestand its sort of a compilation of stuff he's made over the last many years in various times, places and contexts. A few tracks were made for soundtracks that never came to be such as "All The pretty Horses". Ive heard he's always recording ideas and has hundreds of hours of stuff to plunder when assembling a record like this...
Old 24th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Is this the album that was recorded with all 57's (for the most part)?

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search