The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chameleon Labs 7602
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

Chameleon Labs 7602

http://www.chameleonlabs.com/catalog1.htm?

Anyone have it, using it, loving it?, hating it? I saw that it was available in April '05.

I saw 2 threads about it but nothing came of them.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...highlight=7602

and

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...highlight=7602

For the price, I thought people would be all over this. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2005
Jai guru deva om

It was not available in April, it has been available since a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet, this weekend I will. It's heavy as hell and the switches feel great, other than that who knows.

War
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Addict

I'll bump this one, i too am interested.
Old 25th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

I spent some time with the 7602 this weekend. I have used it as a vocal preamp but it's not anything I am allowed to post a clip of yet. The following are tracks recorded a while back, but sent out tonight at line level to use the 7602 EQ.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1350

I quickly made these tracks tonight, just to find what the EQ is capable of. The settings on the "EQ ON" tracks are:

Acoustic Guitar:
Low Cut Filter: 80Hz
Low EQ: 110Hz @ + 2dB
Mid EQ: 360 @ - 7dB
High EQ: 4.9k @ + 10dB
Line input, 0 gain and 0 output gain

Electric Guitar:
Low Cut Filter: 50Hz
Low EQ: 220 + 7dB
Mid EQ: 360 - 5dB
High EQ: 3.4k @ + 7dB

Gain settings are approximate as they aren't marked numerically.

The preamp has tons of gain, and sounded great on vocals with my VX2 tube mic. I need to play more before I go saying it's this or that in character, other than it did sound great and I had no complaints from the singer or band.

I plan on using it as a D.I. some time this week, and more as a preamp later on in the week also. My partner is on vacation and I'm running the place all week by myself...and I've got mixing sessions scheduled most nights this week...and my 3 year old woke up today with a 103 degree fever...but I will spend time as I can with it.

My impressions so far are very good, and the switches feel great and it's a pretty much noise free unit. The box definitely has vibe.

War
Old 25th July 2005
Good info, please keep us posted.
Old 1st August 2005
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I spent some time with the 7602 this weekend. I have used it as a vocal preamp but it's not anything I am allowed to post a clip of yet. The following are tracks recorded a while back, but sent out tonight at line level to use the 7602 EQ.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1350

I quickly made these tracks tonight, just to find what the EQ is capable of. The settings on the "EQ ON" tracks are:

Acoustic Guitar:
Low Cut Filter: 80Hz
Low EQ: 110Hz @ + 2dB
Mid EQ: 360 @ - 7dB
High EQ: 4.9k @ + 10dB

Electric Guitar:
Low Cut Filter: 50Hz
Low EQ: 220 + 7dB
Mid EQ: 360 - 5dB
High EQ: 3.4k @ + 7dB

Gain settings are approximate as they aren't marked numerically.

The preamp has tons of gain, and sounded great on vocals with my VX2 tube mic. I need to play more before I go saying it's this or that in character, other than it did sound great and I had no complaints from the singer or band.

I plan on using it as a D.I. some time this week, and more as a preamp later on in the week also. My partner is on vacation and I'm running the place all week by myself...and I've got mixing sessions scheduled most nights this week...and my 3 year old woke up today with a 103 degree fever...but I will spend time as I can with it.

My impressions so far are very good, and the switches feel great and it's a pretty much noise free unit. The box definitely has vibe.

War
Hey War!

Hope your child is doing OK......
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio
Hey War!

Hope your child is doing OK......
Turns out it's some kind of strain of strep, doesn't show up on the tests! Right now, I've got one that's been throwing up all day, and the 3 year old threw up once and later went to a 106 temp and we rushed her to the doctor to have the strep not show up on the tests and we hope tomorrow they'll put her on antibiotics. My oldest is in bed with a bucket right now ready to blow at any minute, and my wife says HER throat is feeling a bit scratchy now and I'm starting to wonder about mine!

The newborn and my 6 year old out of all of them not showing any signs (yes do the math I've got 5 kids).

So I've been home working on the new website all day and chasing kids with buckets and Tylenol all day and had to cancel a mixing gig tonight.

Of the time I've spent with this unit, it is very impressive and full of character. The preamp isn't real heavily colored and has a nice presence to it. The DI is very smooth in character, think 70's bass sound with a thick-ish midrange / mid-lows. The EQ is just cool as hell, and "a little dab'll do ya" as it's very aggressive and effective. I would like to rent a 1073 (any renters with a deal out there?) and do some real comparisons so until then I can't testify to any side by side shootout stuff but they got a great sound out of this box for low dough. As a whole it really is a great piece.

War
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

War, my neice had the same exact thing a few months back. Yes- she had the 106 fever and they had to ice her down and put her on Antibiotics. Before that she was misdiagnosed, so if something does feel right - take her in just to be on the safe side.

Hope all is well. Take care ..
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Well to make that long story of mine longer, her cousins had this recently and neither of them were showing positive for strep but you could see irritation in their throats. They put them on antibiotics and all was well eventually, but we didn't find this out until AFTER my wife got home with ours from the doctor today and it was too late to get her doc on the phone to call in the prescription.

So tomorrow morning we get to tell them about her cousins and why we need antibiotics and they will surely prescribe them.

Thanks for all the well wishes, we were scared today when she hit 106. That's dangerous stuff.

War
Old 2nd August 2005
Being a father of three myself, I'm no stranger to fevers and when one is sick they'll all be sick before the week's through. A fever of 106 always causes me panic, although it's very rare for fevers (in the US) to reach the danger zone of 108. Pretty scary and even worse is when the kids just seem listless. Take care of 'em.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm a father of 3 as well........Yes 106 is SCARY

Hope all is well with you and yours.........
Old 2nd August 2005
Jai guru deva om

She's on the couch watching The Aristocats, doctors finally hit her with antibiotics although it was a shot to each thigh! I've never heard a child scream so loud, twice at that. At least she scored some cool Garfield bandaids and stickers out of the deal, amazing how those things can divert a child's attention.

All seems well, thanks for the well wishes all.

War
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
She's on the couch watching The Aristocats, doctors finally hit her with antibiotics although it was a shot to each thigh! I've never heard a child scream so loud, twice at that. At least she scored some cool Garfield bandaids and stickers out of the deal, amazing how those things can divert a child's attention.

All seems well, thanks for the well wishes all.

War

Here's to antibiotics! And Garfield stuff! Can't say those guys don't know their market!

Hope all stays well.
Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

warhead, hope everything is ok. any more and the 7602???
Old 30th September 2005
Gear Addict

alright, i broke down and bought one of these things out of curiosity.

First off, on my unit the gain control on the midrange band has no affect at all whatsoever when set to 700Hz. That sucks ass. So hopefully i'll have a new unit pretty soon. Other than that, i did a few somewhat accurate tests with vocals and acoustic guitar comparing it to a FMR RNP pre amp (im borrowing a buddys neve 1272 next week and i'll compare it to that as well). But for now the FMR is all that i had availible.

I put up 2 audio technica 4047's side by side with 1 going to the FMR and the other to the chameleon. I sang and played acoustic guitar around 9 inches or so from the mics and aimed between the 2. So naturally i was a bit off axis with both mics. I managed to get the output of both pres pretty damn close to each other. By the way, if anyone has a better way of comparing 2 pres other than the way i described above, then please let me know. When i get the 1272 this week maybe i'll try your way. I wish i had access to a 1073 since thats the model the chameleon is trying to emulate but i just dont.

The chameleon pre alone is cleaner than i thought it would be. It was a bit smoother in the mids and had a hair more weight in the bottom end than the FMR on both acoustic and vox but was not night and day difference. I would give the edge to the chameleon though. It does get a little hairy when you turn up the input and back off the output though. Very useable but not much wow factor. Which is kinda what i was expecting. I guess you just cant get wow factor without paying serious cash. The eq is very nice though, plenty of gain and pretty darn smooth.

As usual take all this with a grain of salt, i've only had the unit for a couple days now so maybe i'll fall in love with it the more i use it (after i get a working one that is). I'll try to post some samples soon.

I wander how hard it would be to swap out the chameleon transformers with some good ones? I dont know if im ready to jump in there with my soldering gun just yet though.
Old 2nd October 2005
War, any more advice to shell out on this pre - for some reason I'm very intrigued by it.
Old 2nd October 2005
Jai guru deva om

It's got a pretty even response to it and as stated above it's cleaner than you might expect. I love the fact that you can push it some by dropping the output and jacking the gain. It has 80dB of gain and plays well with my ribbon, condensor and dynamic mics. It is a good sounding pre, and the EQ is outstanding. Hand wired point to point box, good build quality.

I really love that EQ, you can flat out manipulate the hell out of it and the Q width on the midrange is pretty wide and is very effective for scooping drums, guitars etc (I love the 360hz setting and just dropping the boxiness out of toms / guits etc with it) and the high end can really be pushed without adding nastiness like many shelves can.

Not a lot of new info to add, other than I will be keeping a pair myself and we've only had one returned (the customer was trying to potentially "match" it to his Vintech X73 only to report the Chameleon was cleaner and not a "match". It was worth a shot for him to try it though at that price.

War
Old 11th October 2005
Here for the gear

chameleon labs 7602

Hello all, tis my first post here.

I recorded 3 tunes with the 7602 this past week.

I didnt spend a whole lot of time getting sounds with this, I just plugged it in and dialed up a pretty decent sound for each session rather quickly.

One was a male vocal , a spec ad for radio/tv, the other one was a female vocal spec ad and the third I used on the snare drum for a ballad where I used brushes on the snare. The snare sounded good, clean, EQ brought out some nice sizzle. I dont have that tune mixed so I wont post it yet.

Both vocals were run through 4033 mic and a Distressor.
I like the pre alot, I think it sounds very good.
I did rent a Neve 1073 last week for a country session female singer so I still have those tracks to compare it to. I gotta say that the 7602 performs nicely.

Im still on the fence with it though, Im really in the market for an EQ for vocals and other needs. I have some nice mic pres already but no outboard EQ's so this was appealing to me, especially at the price. I'll post the spec ads at the links below.
Let me know what you think, maybe I'll be persuaded to keep it.
Its well built, comes with the power supply. EQ sounds good, pre is clean and can get a bit dirty.

Final words: Worth the money for sure.

www.houseofloud.com/specadd1
www.houseofloud.com/specadd2

peace
makes
Old 16th October 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007
I put up 2 audio technica 4047's side by side with 1 going to the FMR and the other to the chameleon. I sang and played acoustic guitar around 9 inches or so from the mics and aimed between the 2. So naturally i was a bit off axis with both mics. I managed to get the output of both pres pretty damn close to each other. By the way, if anyone has a better way of comparing 2 pres other than the way i described above, then please let me know.
make a splitter cable. female XLR on one end wired to two male XLR's on the other end, then run them into two pre's.
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

i picked one up this week. i had a session at a studio that has many 1073s and 1066s. we did some quick comparisons and the 7602 held up very well. it was slightly thinner with the eq bypassed and it's highend wasn't quite as smooth as the neve but it sounded very good. build quality feels good as others have noted. i'm getting a second one.
Old 24th October 2005
Lives for gear

Drew, my experience with the 7602 yeilded the same opinion as yours. A little grainier than a 1073 but still very usable.
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Would the chameleon pre be considerd a ''class A'' unit ??
Old 5th November 2005
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

would it be possible to upgrade the xformer ?
Old 5th November 2005
Lives for gear

Warren thanks for the sound samples.I think it sounds great.The way i understand it you recorded the Electrics direct.Thats what i wanted to hear because thats what i like to do.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

these are on special...any good?
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grockvt View Post
these are on special...any good?
Do a few more searches. This thread is from 05, and I know this preamp has been discussed plenty of times since then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search