The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
College/School for engineering
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

I went to Full Schmuck..

I love it too. I'd go again if offered the chance.

Every school is different and like posted before, it's what you make it. I am really really good friends with someone in my class who graduated. He can barely use his computer at home. It's amazing

I've worked with guys out here who went and taught at the Conservatory. They have a completely different outlook on things than I do.

I also answered some questions for a guy trying to get into the Conservatory. The lady said the answers were better than what they had in their textbooks.

It's all what you make it. Full Sail is an incredible place loaded with some of the best gear in the industry. They also teach a lot more than pushing buttons. I love that place. It's hard, but worth it if you are sierous about this field of work.
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

I have a 4-year science degree and a master's in music.

I think Bob Ohlsson said something about people who are music educated having an easier time jumping into engineering than the other way around. I second that. Try getting somebody who ONLY studied engineering (never pursued music performance or studied music) to produce a vocal or hear the most in-tune take while listening for feel, vibe, and rhythm ('pocket'). A few can do it -- most can't.

When George Martin spoke at AES one time, he ended his speech with "don't forget the music." I think there's a tendency for people who didn't get into music in early teen or pre-teen years (the usual "guitar for Christmas/Hanukkah age) to think at age 17-20 "holy s&^t, I don't wanna study physics...there's this college loan thing...why don't I find something I'm passionate about?"

Music...Art...Film...Animation...

Businesspeople have found out that college loans are BIG $$$ business if you can sell the whole "make more money doing what you love" thing to the everyman/woman/kid of the world. One of the richest people in the U.S. is the BILLIONAIRE who started the nationwide (ahem!) University of Phoenix.
Old 14th September 2005
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

I also think it's ironic that although we're in an era which demands that 99% of audio pros diversify (instead of specializing) to survive, there's a glut of pure engineers coming out of the ever-expanding number of audio schools.

I'd like to see some U.S. large universities re-tool their music programs into something that's applicable to an era beyond...ummm...the fifties. Of course, every school has a bare minimum of "electronic music" within elective classes (or whatever), but, as somebody who has had college level classical & jazz training, will somebody please tell me why our colleges are churning out so many dang violin performance majors who can't improvise worth a s&^t? I mean, for most of 'em, a music career means playing Verdi once a year or so and teaching the local teenagers (maybe playing at church, too). This is not a bad thing in and of itself -- I'm just pointing out that we have a system that seems like it's almost built around creating a certain kind of college music graduate.
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Guru

I did go to a recording school and I would not recommend it.

I really believe that recording is something that you have or don't.

The guys who have done well after college probably would have without it.

And vice versa.

I personally wish I learned more about music theory and less about recording.

There is a world of knowledge to be had just by interning.

And that's free.

Pay "ME" $40,000 and I'll take you under my wing and record your band too.

Peace.
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Head

Another Berklee College of Music MP&E ('89). I think college in general gave me width of knowledge I wouldn't have had otherwise at 23 (didn't help with widsom, though :-). It helped open a few doors - I talked my way into an assistant gig by explaining the theory and details why you need to align a tape machine (boy, I am dating myself!) although Berklee neglected to actually give us 1st hand experience at that.

A solid knowledge of music, and being able to read music, was equally as helpful. I can think of dozens of times I'd be "tapeop" on commercial sessions and the producer would say "let's punch in at, uh..." and I'd say (score in hand), "oh, at measure 8, 3rd beat?". Jaws dropped, and the studio got return business.

A few folks mentioned EE degrees. In hindsight I may have gone that route (or at least taken some electronics classes) as that's some key knowledge.

Good luck!

Steve E.
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsonarboy
Another Berklee College of Music MP&E ('89). I think college in general gave me width of knowledge I wouldn't have had otherwise at 23 (didn't help with widsom, though :-). It helped open a few doors - I talked my way into an assistant gig by explaining the theory and details why you need to align a tape machine (boy, I am dating myself!) although Berklee neglected to actually give us 1st hand experience at that.

A solid knowledge of music, and being able to read music, was equally as helpful. I can think of dozens of times I'd be "tapeop" on commercial sessions and the producer would say "let's punch in at, uh..." and I'd say (score in hand), "oh, at measure 8, 3rd beat?". Jaws dropped, and the studio got return business.

A few folks mentioned EE degrees. In hindsight I may have gone that route (or at least taken some electronics classes) as that's some key knowledge.

Good luck!

Steve E.
My University of Miami experiences were similar -- right down to the tape aligment! We didn't have any 'hands on' recording instruction. I did have the EE classes, though. I ended up with a degree in Music and a minor in EE.

Going to school will give you exposure to other avenues you may not even thought of. I think it all makes you more versatile as you move forward. Folks I went to school with got into a variety of things -- tech-ing, DSP progamming and design, speaker and other types of design, the FBI [!], along with those of us that wanted to make records.

The bottom is line is that you get out of it what you put into it. I know it helped me in a lot of ways that I would not have imagined back then...

Cheers,
john
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

I went to Los Angeles Recording Workshop (LARW) I already had a decent working knowledge in audio and found that the teachers were not all that bright except one of them was pretty up on it. I don't think I'd condone dropping the loot for it. Buy some gear and intern at a studio..befriend some engineers and be a slave for free.
Old 15th September 2005
Lives for gear

If I never went to college, I wouldn't have learned things like harmonic series or equal temperament.

But if I was in L.A. then, as a motivated, well-trained, young musician in my late teens, the world may/may not have opened its doors and offered me unique life experiences.

We'll never know.
Old 22nd September 2005
Here for the gear

I'll just drag this thread back....

I've come from a musical background, been recording and doing live stuff for a few years now (I'm currently in my last year of school)...
I got a grant from my local council to get training from a local studio and record my own EP....Thats my school of sound engineering training!!
Next year, I want to defer a year before going off to uni to study science and arts...Possibly acoustics, music and biology/psychology....
It's all good fun!!

I'm not a fan of the schools we have here...SAE and so on....It seems that there are a few who make the very most of their opportunity but some who don't - despite what they've paid....

Of course, those that do well through schools would do well anyway.

Oh, and does a piece of paper count??
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

True story about Full Sail...

(Studio phone rings)
"I went to Full Sail and I am looking for a job"

me:
"SSL consoles, huh? what did the pre section sound like?

him:
I don't know, they wouldn't let us touch the stuff in the big room"

me:
"any examples of things you have recorded?"

him:
"yea, but they are not that good."

me:
"ok, on a snare, you would use which one for a heavy rock band...
57 into API
or
3 shotgun mics into a portastudio"

him:
"3 mics would be better, it gives you more control"

me:
"thanks for calling"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search