The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your favorite records recorded in a house.
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousfun View Post
The Band - Music from Big Pink.
One of my favorite of all time.

Listen to the remastered edition ! Please !
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Head

Incubus- Morning View.

Something amazingly unshined, unmolested about the sound of that record.. really adds to the character and mood.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Ween, The Pod.

Peter Gabriel, So.

Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Robyn Hitchcock's Respect was recorded in his house by John Leckie...as I learned by asking John Leckie right here on Gearslutz. Really nice album, that one. But I guess I love The Basement Tapes and Music From Big Pink quite a bit more.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Paul McCartney - RAM
Elvis Presley - Moody Blue / From EP Boulevard Memphis Tenn.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Hans View Post
Paul McCartney - RAM
Elvis Presley - Moody Blue / From EP Boulevard Memphis Tenn.
I believe Ram was recorded mostly in New York...
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

NIN

Downward Spiral.

recorded in the Tate house, made famous by the Manson family. definitely not a commercial studio...
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for snowflakes

Seems to me I remember something about some guy (and his wife, Mary) recording some stuff at home (and on the road) back in the day.

I think they even named a guitar after the guy.

Gibson, (..something... ) ? ? ?

(Its right on the tip of my tongue...)

Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Failure -"Fantastic Planet" was recorded in a house i believe. the drums sound so damn cool on that record.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I believe Ram was recorded mostly in New York...
What was the story with Paul recording an album with one u87 in a Scottish farm house? Wasn't that RAM?
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Nut

Moby Grape: 20 Granite Creek
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

How about this... list your favorite records - "not recorded in a house of any kind, all takes done outdoors"

Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
The Stones, Exile on Main St.
Led Zeppelin IV
etc.

+1 EXILE - the house jam record of all time. On one track you can hear bacon frying in the kitchen in the background
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Does Abbey Road qualify as a house?
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

our home studio

We have recorded about 75 albums in our living room - kitchen, about 25 releases on Frogville records and the rest for independent local acts.

I bet there are hundreds of great albums recorded in homes. We get a great sound here at our home studio, although nothing for any majors and also nothing that had a budget for promotion and marketing, which is maybe why nothing big has come from here YET!

I can name 25 bands you never heard of, but we have had blues legend Taj Mahal here, singer Shannon Mcnally, country fiddler Johnny Gimbal (bob wills texas playboys), actors Val Kilmer and Gary Farmer have recorded music here too.

we decided to expand, building more studio space surrounding the original house.

people get relaxed in a living room environment, feel comfy = best performance.

I hope not to loose that vibe in the expansion.heh

our studio construction thread :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...co-2009-a.html
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegenh5 View Post
I find it curious why all these high-profile records were recorded in houses. I'm in a house right now, but always though if I had the budget I'd like to do it right in a nice studio with a separate control room, sound proofing, tuned rooms, yada yada yada...
Why are all these people with the big budgets going back into houses to record. Comfort factor? Save money on a real studio? They like to make things hard on themselves?

I think the last Blink 182 record was done in a house.

Sean
Given my choice of a relaxed studio in a house or a pro studio I'd take the house hands down.
No booked time.Don't have to leave.Nobody else coming in.Work when I (we) want.
Something cool about standing in an old kitchen and singing to cupboards.
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Nut

Songs From Big Pink was not recorded in a house. The second "Brown" album was recorded in Sammy Davis Jr's pool house in LA.

I think people get confused with the Basement tapes, which actually were recorded in the basement in Saugerties, NY before the release of Big Pink.
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog View Post
We have recorded about 75 albums in our living room - kitchen, about 25 releases on Frogville records and the rest for independent local acts.

I bet there are hundreds of great albums recorded in homes. We get a great sound here at our home studio, although nothing for any majors and also nothing that had a budget for promotion and marketing, which is maybe why nothing big has come from here YET!

I can name 25 bands you never heard of, but we have had blues legend Taj Mahal here, singer Shannon Mcnally, country fiddler Johnny Gimbal (bob wills texas playboys), actors Val Kilmer and Gary Farmer have recorded music here too.

we decided to expand, building more studio space surrounding the original house.

people get relaxed in a living room environment, feel comfy = best performance.

I hope not to loose that vibe in the expansion.heh

our studio construction thread :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...co-2009-a.html

I would love to see pics of that living room.
Your new one looks great....
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Nut

.... back to topic...

all Buddy Miller records.....
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for snowflakes

... How High The ...

...Wait...

... It's coming to me! ...

Old 29th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Hans View Post
What was the story with Paul recording an album with one u87 in a Scottish farm house? Wasn't that RAM?

Some of the songs off Paul`s "McCartney" album were recorded at home then finished at Abbey Road. But, it was "McCartney II" that was mostly(if not completely) recorded at home. Paul just plugged the microphone into the back of a Studer 16-track tape machine; not using a mixing console to track.

McCartney II is one of my favorite "at home" recorded albums. It has such a unique sound and is probably vastly underrated.
Old 29th October 2009
Gear Nut

I'd have to say Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago.
I believe that was recorded up in his fathers cabin in Wisconsin if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search