The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your favorite records recorded in a house.
Old 14th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Bil VornDick told me that he recorded the Peter Rowan / Jerry Douglas album "Yonder" in Bela Fleck's living room.

Bela was away on his honeymoon at the time.
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
Beck, mellow gold, not exactly hifi gearslut material but I love it anyway..

btw, i've lived in a few studios, does that make them houses?
Seems to me a few Beck albums were tracked in houses. Mutations, Midnite Vultures -- I think.
Old 14th April 2006
Gear Nut

Gladys Knight and the Pips
Midnight Train To Georgia
Recorded in the basement
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Guru

I'm going to bump this awesome dead thread. +1 on beck, radiohead, zep, white stripes, NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL

I don't know if those big old mansions in some of these examples count as houses. old houses seem to be where it's at (+1), as well as the "hey we're not in orwell's 1984 torture complex" vibe you get in a house (+1) I'm just a sensitive guy I guess and studio pressure makes me uneasy

the white stripes have gone on to work in some pretty tricked out regular pro studios, and I think they got better sounds (toe rag and blackbird)

trout mask replica was rehearsed for a year in a house, you can find pictures on the beefheart radar station website. they went to a studio with zappa producing, for most of the tracks, but there are a few on the record that were recorded in the house, giving the whole thing that atmosphe. love that record
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Peter Frampton "Frampton" recorded at Clearwell Castle.

Owsley, recorded in a house and nominated for an engineering Grammy!!!
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Dylan's Oh, Mercy! recorded at Lanois' house in New Orleans. It had an API board, but the "houseiness" of it was clearly part of the intrinsic creative process in making that record. May not be exactly a house by the "one record and then dismantled" standard, but Lanois does seem to leave environments as soon as they seem to be getting too studio-like.
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Head

Thrice's Alchemy Index was pretty cool i think. The fire stuff was a little over compressed but it was pretty good in general. Loved the water disk, " the whaler" is amazing
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Does Rudy Van Gelders house count ?
Old 14th August 2008

blood sugar sex magic

narco
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Guru

I would like to point out that i think this is great seeing the different artist that has recorded in houses/basements etc, and a bass amp in a jeep !!!
wow, just goes to show you that you can about set up shop anywhere and come off with a great product if you know what you are doing.
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Do stately homes/castles count as houses?

If so early CAN does it for me.

How about old cinemas?

If so its slightly later CAN.

Should this not count, how about Ween's 'White Pepper'?
I think its been recorded in a rented house somewhere in Canada. Not too keen on the sound but I like the album.

Last edited by O.F.F.; 14th August 2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hank III - Straight to hell, most everything but the drums was recorded on a Korg D1600 Digital workstation in a house in east nashville.

theres an article in Mix here
Old 14th August 2008
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Head

Pink Moon was done at Sound Techniques but the home demos released later sound just as good. Less hi fi but at least as atmospheric.

Led Zep 3 was also recorded at Stargroves wasn't it?

Music from Big Pink was done in a regular studio. Because of its name and picture of the Big Pink house on the cover its story gets mixed up with the 2nd album, which was recorded on location.

The Basement Tapes. Never liked the sound of those though.

Before he built his famous studio Rudy Van Gelder recorded in his parents living room. That's much of the mid 50s Blue Note list. He was beating the comercial studios of the time. Amazing.

This has reminded to me to listen to Exile on Main St again. Great album. A weird sound that adds to its effect. Sounds so "live in the room" although it's anything but.

Makes me think how as musicians and engineers we will get really nervous about losing "quality" even if we think it might give us more atmosphere. I guess we think "what if it doesn't?!"
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I'll have to agree with "Oh Mercy" but shove "Wrecking Ball" by Emmylou Harris just above it. That whole period of Daniel Lanois recording at Queensway blows me away. I got to walk through there once, and it was dripping with vibe.

And I will add a +1 for Aeroplane over the Sea. That record is like the hope diamond in the rough.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Someone mentioned Springsteen and home recording; that would have to be 'Nebraska' on a 4-track Portastudio.

I don't know if "The Seeger Sessions" count; they were done at his farm house in (I believe) Jersey. Or is that set up as a full-time studio?

Also in the 'grey area': psycho producer Joe Meek was recording in a small English town house (and terrorizing his landlady) using every room including the loo for his Phil Spector-like productions.

Some of Buddy Holly's last issued recordings were done on a reel-to-reel in the living room in his apartment in NY (on the originals you can hear his wife working in the kitchen.) They were overdubbed by the Fireballs to make them "commercial".

And Robert Johnson, Frank Hutchinson and other early blues legends worked in hotel rooms, using one mic and a bottle of bourbon.

Best,
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac
"Into the Fire" by Bryan Adams is one of the best sounding rock albums I've ever heard.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

I almost forgot two records that were tracked at home, Kevin Gilbert's Thud, and I think Toy Matinee might have been recorded at his house also. They are definitely two amazing sounding records!
Old 12th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Music from Big pink
Old 12th October 2008
Lives for gear

Don't Buddy and Julie Miller record at home? Their records sound great. Maybe their house is as much a studio as it is a home; not sure.

Here's a left field choice for you: Jackson Browne's Running on Empty, parts of which were recorded on the tour bus, while it was being driven down the highway. I guess if you are on tour, that IS your house.
Old 12th October 2008
Here for the gear

Judas Priest - British Steel

fantastic sound, from Tittenhurst Park (John Lennon and Ringo have both owned it at different times) courtesy of Chris Tsangarides and Tom Allom
Old 12th October 2008
Gear Head

Duran Duran tracked The Wedding Album in Warren Cuccurullo's living room.

doei! ®
Faizz
Old 12th October 2008
Gear Nut

Marilyn Manson's "Portrait of an american family". Re-recorded at Le Pig Studios, in the Sharon Tate house , after Trent Reznor bought it.
Old 12th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Deep purple - Machine Head . A lot was done in a hotel t-section coridoor, but could as well have been a house I guess...

A lot of houses of the holy was done at stargroves, and much of physical graffiti at headley too... the bed/ guide of black country woman was done on the lawn outside... that's why the plane's there at the beginning - and (i think) tweeting birdies in the fade at the end
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

STP - Tiny Music
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recky View Post
Crowded House's "Together Alone" ....Apparently, the recording was a complete disaster, not least because producer/engineer Flood was too doped up to handle it, apparently.
I don't recall that Flood had anything to do with that album.
Old 13th October 2008
Gear Head

Love As Laughter

I believe most of the Love As Laughter records where done in a house.
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Now I'm confused a bit. All that I ever hear is "room treatment, room treatment." This coming from all the pros around here. It's also been said time and time again how there ain't no way you'll get a pro sound out of an untreated room.

This point has been HAMMERED into the ground. And it makes perfect sense. It's the first thing mentioned in the "What should I get" threads.

Now this thread pops up and offers a huge list of some of the best sounding records ever recorded and they were done in someone's house. Granted, they had great equipment but they set up in the untreated living room of a house and just played. Or sometimes even in some basement (I think that awesome Shins album was done in his basement on cheap gear, for that matter.

Someone clear this up for me because it's very confusing and seems to directly contradict a point that is made over and over by some of the most accomplished guys around here.
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x View Post
The vibe in a house is much nicer in my opinion, more condusive to being creative
Plus the BIG clock ticking away is not evident...
No doubt, me included, most people have better ideas when the "pressure" is either low or non existent...
Not comparing this to being "prepared"...
But some great music has been created "on the spot" ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search