The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your favorite records recorded in a house.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

The Shins - Oh Inverted World
Incubus - Morning View
Pedro The Lion - Contol
Iron And Wine - The Creek Drank The Cradle
John Fursicante - (Early Solo Stuff)

I never knew where Neutral Milk Hotel - In an Aeroplane Over The Sea or Nick Drake - Pink Moon were recorded. So I will have to add those to list. Great Albums!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Neutral Milk Hotel, "In an Aeroplane Over the Sea".

and I never knew OK Computer was recorded in a house. God damnit do I love that record.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

Zuma by Neil Young.

Holy ****.
Old 23rd July 2005
The River - The Boss

Hmmmm... (scratches chin...) I suppose CASTLES don't count eh..... ummmmmmmmmm (thinks....)
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

when i was in middle school i liked waching the red hot chili peppers "funky monks" video about recording BSSM in that mansion. that got me so excited about recording.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Multiple snaps to the Neutral Milk Hotel referers. Absolutely incredible man Jeff is.

I have to say, though, that On Avery Island (the album before Aeroplane) is even more technically impressive - from what I remember, Jeff recorded quite a bit of that in the room under the main staircase of a different house, before all the Elephant 6 gang bought a house together. Amazing album that sounds wonderful.

Really, though i have to second that Aeroplane may be the best album ever recorded that cheaply. I can say without any reservation that that is literally a PERFECT album.

OK Computer was recorded partly in a barn, not a house. Big ole' barn in the countryside.

Now off to Largo... Jon Brion recorded his new album in a house... the house the Beatles built.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

The last record I did was a trad jazz album done in a house, there's this funky office room between the kitchen and the lounge. we had the drums in the lounge, the upright bass in the office next to me (worked better than you'd think) and the horns in the kitchen. lots of makeshift accoustic treatment, but it came out brilliant.
Funny thing is, the guy I did the album with has since moved out and I've moved in, so there's more stuff to be done :D

Wasn't the first Gomez album done in an apartment or something?
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

except for the drums, the latest james labrie cd was recorded in a cottage ....
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Rage Against the Machine:-Evil Empire

Amazing album. The engineer heard the rehearsals in the house and decided to kick a hole in the wall, take the cables out and set up the control room in the next room.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Slowreader on Fueled by Ramen Records...hands down the most beautiful sounding record in years. Recorded by Rory Phillips and Gabe Hascall, formerly of the Impossibles, in Austin Texas.

http://www.fueledbyramen.com/bands/index.php?id=12
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Incubus, Morning View.

An absolutely fantastic album. Recorded in a Malibu beach house.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet
Neutral Milk Hotel, "In an Aeroplane Over the Sea".

and I never knew OK Computer was recorded in a house. God damnit do I love that record.
the hypercompression on the guitars gives me goosebumps.
Old 23rd July 2005
Didn't Matt Serletic record Matchbox 20 in house by wheeling in a vintage Neve desk & 2 x PTH rigs all at 192K (giving him 48 tracks of 192k 24 bit audio)

???
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

do not take the floods name in vain!!!

(it was actually Youth on production duties and not Flood -i know another band that also had a very similar experience with him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recky
Crowded House's "Together Alone" was recorded in a (crowded?) house on Kare Kare beach in New Zealand. All the gear, including a big console, had to be carried along narrow paths and steep steps down to the house. Apparently, the recording was a complete disaster, not least because producer/engineer Flood was too doped up to handle it, apparently.

The album was salvaged/mixed in Melbourne by Bob Clearmountain, and it turned out to be a great little record.

I recently recorded and produced an album in a large living room, with makeshift acoustic treatment, e.g. sofas and armchairs positioned around the drum kit and amps, acoustic guitars overdubbed on the marble floor in front of the fireplace. Great vibe and it worked a treat as the room sounded excellent! The "control room" was in a corner of the living room, because I was also the guitarist... The things one does, eh? :-)

Cheers,

Recky
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiesolutions
(it was actually Youth on production duties and not Flood -i know another band that also had a very similar experience with him)
Oops, yes, you're right - that's hwo rumours are started.... :-) Sorry Flood!!!!
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Up until their newest album, which was recorded at Dark Horse, all of Relient K's albums were recorded at my friend's house here in Canton.
Old 25th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Pink Moon -- Nick Drake
Actually, it was recorded by John Wood at Sound Techniques. Numerous other artists also recorded there, notably Richard Thompson, Fairport Convention, John Cale, and Pink Floyd.

To that end, it was pretty unique in that in was recorded over the course of two evenings...sans producer...and the masters were dropped off at Island Records by Nick Drake where it sat on the receptionists desk for several days (so legends say..).

Frank
Old 25th July 2005

Beck, mellow gold, not exactly hifi gearslut material but I love it anyway..

btw, i've lived in a few studios, does that make them houses?
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Addict

Perhaps a naive comment, but this refers to tracking. The mixing for these projects was done in a studio correct? Most of these houses wouldn't be up to that task I would assume. . .
Old 13th April 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezoboy
Not a house turned into a COMMERCIAL STUDIO, is what i said. I am just talking about a house whos only pupose is to record the one band who scoped it out, and then after they are finished it returns to normal duties of a house.

Lets not be sticklers and say "technically any house with X amount of gear is a . . . if anyone records there"
Sheby Lynne's "Suit Yourself". Recorded most of it in her living room to TAPE!!. There's a real vibe on that CD you don't catch on most releases. Great new recording, btw.
Old 13th April 2006
Gear Nut

Did anyone mention James Taylor's "Hourglass"
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

Train ...the CD with "Meet Virginia" ...recorded in a house, and bass amp recorded from a car in the driveway, Jeep Cherokee.
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

The White Stripes. It works for them totally.
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear

I've recorded John Frusciante in his living room, RHCP in the same mansion that they did BSSM in for "Stadium Arcadium", Blink-182 self titled, The Kinison "What Are You listening to" and the new Glenn Hughes (formerly of Deep Purple) "Music for the Divine" in houses, and they have been so much more fun than "going to the office." My dream is to have a house dedicated to recording, making the "studio" as invisible as possible, while still maintaining the comfort of a home...

Mike Campbell's place is amazing... got to record some of Tift Merritt's record there. I wouldn't call it recording in a house tho, as it's pretty much a full on studio over there...

Some of the old Aerosmith records were recorded in a mansion in upstate NY with the Record Plant Remote truck. Talking Heads "Fear of Music" was done in a loft in NYC with RPR truck... A few Rod Stewart records were done in his living room with the LeMobile truck...

Ryan Hewitt
Old 13th April 2006
Lives for gear
Jules, did you mean Nebraska?

The River was recorded at the Power Station. (I'm fairly certain)

one of my favourites would be Cracker - Kerosene Hat
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

And sixties group, The Association, "Along Comes Mary", "Windy", etc ...supposedly recorded some of their songs in a garage, and later in a house.
Old 14th April 2006
Gear Addict

'McCartney' (first solo album)
Emitt Rhodes
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
Joan Osborne - Relish
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic

Two of my favorites.

Also, any Counting Crows record. Either you love 'em or you hate 'em. I personally went through a huge Counting Crows phase. August and everything after, Recovering the satellites, This desert life... All done in a house. All done with gear they bought after the first record sold millions of copies. Those guys aren't dumb.
Old 14th April 2006

I seem to remember reading John Mayer's album was recorded in a living room with a Neve rack....
Old 14th April 2006
Lives for gear

Jose Gonzalez - Veneer - recorded in his kitchen.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search