The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Fire Wire Drive
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Best Fire Wire Drive

Hi Amigos,

I need to buy a pair of 200 gigas Fire Wire Drives. I´ve always used Glyph´s but I wanna know what you guys are using. Maybe some Seagates in different enclosures? I don´t know if I should have post this on computer music cause cause for me, this is a really important piece of gear in my recording chain. I do most classical location recordings and I don´t wanna mess up in the middle of my sessions!

See ya slutz...

PUPO

thumbsup
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

If you are recording into protools it is recommended that you use external case with oxford 911 chip ( PT approved ) on the circuit!
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've been using firewire drives from http://otherworldcomputing.com and have had great luck with them for a couple of years of heavy use. Check them out.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Pacific Pro Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundpad
If you are recording into protools it is recommended that you use external case with oxford 911 chip ( PT approved ) on the circuit!
Yep,

I just visited Pacific Pro Audio but they don´t sale online! This Drives have been posted around here.

Anyone else?
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Never had a problem with my 2 FW drives from http://www.caldrives.com in 3 years of constant PT beatings. I even unscrewed the case from the 80 gig drive and popped in a 200 and it worked without a hitch.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

The High-Speed Oxford 912 FireWire 800 chipset

Some know if "The High-Speed Oxford 912 FireWire 800 chipset " works as well as the famous 911 chip that Digidesign suggest for the drives?
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Enclosures?

Anyone putting Seagates in Fire Wire Enclosures?

THAN´S FOR YOUR POSTS SLUTZ!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
Hi Amigos,

I need to buy a pair of 200 gigas Fire Wire Drives. I´ve always used Glyph´s but I wanna know what you guys are using. Maybe some Seagates in different enclosures? I don´t know if I should have post this on computer music cause cause for me, this is a really important piece of gear in my recording chain. I do most classical location recordings and I don´t wanna mess up in the middle of my sessions!

See ya slutz...

PUPO

thumbsup

I've used various drives over the years, but lately I've been using the Avastor drives (http://www.avastor.com/). They have several advantages for audio / video work, very quiet, includes a foam-lined case, etc. I think these are upgraded versions of the drives Quantegy used to sell.

Best regards....H
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I've been using Wiebetech Drive Doc's for a few years now with no complaints.
Also, EZ Quest if you need the enclosure.

DO NOT go to Pacific Pro Audio. They are rip-off artists and have terrible and unprofessional customer support. YMMV.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Guru

I use the OWC drives as well-

when you find a drive that works out for you, stick with it. That way you have only one form factor, and one kind of power supply to deal with.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I buy the ACOM drives or Lacie Porsche when they are on sale at Comp USA.
Seriously. $1 per Gig or less!
Been using them for over 3 years, subjecting them to shock/drops/rough handling/temperature swings. NO PROBLEMS-EVER!
I once bought a Western Digital and it would lock up if it got warm.
I have one Glyph drive which I never use because it is the loudest thing in the control room aside from the music.

YMMV
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultools
I buy the ACOM drives or Lacie Porsche when they are on sale at Comp USA....YMMV
A client once brought a session over on a Lacie Porsche and we worked from it for a day then lost everything. I just think the enclosure was too compact for no fan.

I've used Lacie d2's for years with the highest success rate so far. (knock on simulated wood)

Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

EZ Quest Pro Audio FW 800 Drives.

Not only are they efficient, they operate with a internal power supply and use a regular 3-prong iec power cable (same as most gear, guitar amps, etc.). So, you do not need to carry an annoying proprietary power supply! That is big for me!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I would recommend the glyph netdrives, they have been thoroughly reliable with my mac whereas i went through several lacie bigdisk drives which failed to mount after only a couple of uses causing me to lose work. dfegad
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

I use the Lacie d2's and have been for awhile, no problems what so ever, also their customer support is really good.

Jim
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee
I've been using Wiebetech Drive Doc's for a few years now with no complaints.
Also, EZ Quest if you need the enclosure.

DO NOT go to Pacific Pro Audio. They are rip-off artists and have terrible and unprofessional customer support. YMMV.

Hi Shikawkee,

Wich Wiebetech are you using exactly. I have been in their webpage and they´re lot´s of models out there. Can you please help me with this one?

PUPO

thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Shikawkee,

Wich Wiebetech are you using exactly. I have been in their webpage and they´re lot´s of models out there. Can you please help me with this one?

PUPO

thumbsup
Sure, I have the standard drive doc with the 400 connection and I also have a super 800 combo drive as well. Both have been trouble-free for over two years and have paid for themselves over and over withn the money I save by buying IDE drives w/o enclosures.

I think the standard drive doc cost about $129.00 or something like that? I think that's what I paid. I hope that helps.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have some insight on this...

i record live bands, shows that extend into the 2-3 hour mark, and we keep them on hard drives. we have about 25 drives...200gb and 250's

10 are LaCie, D2's...only had one kind of go wierd on me, however it didn't crash completely, but i've heard some horror stories, so we moved on to another type...

the StorCase drives are pretty great, i have 7 of them, 200gb each...they're using Western Digital drives in them...no failures so far.

as of late, i'm buying 250 gb bare Western Digital drives for $135 each, so far the hands down best deal.

the StorCase chassis are awesome, what i'm doing now, is removing the drive in one of my StoreCase chassis, and plugging in the bare drive to it, filling it up, and storing away the full drive. i was just putting the drives into removable bays (which are fan cooled) and using them that way, but this seems to be just fine too.

bare drives in removable sleds is the way to go thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005
pan
Lives for gear

If noise is not an issue - definitely go for enclosures with FANS!!!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
EZ Quest Pro Audio FW 800 Drives.

Not only are they efficient, they operate with a internal power supply and use a regular 3-prong iec power cable (same as most gear, guitar amps, etc.). So, you do not need to carry an annoying proprietary power supply! That is big for me!
the StorCase drives are like this too....it's EXTREMELY convient this way.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
I would recommend the glyph netdrives, they have been thoroughly reliable with my mac whereas i went through several lacie bigdisk drives which failed to mount after only a couple of uses causing me to lose work. dfegad
Hi Goldphinga,

I have one of those netdrives but I think these are for storage. I´ve never A/B a netdrive and a GT-50 Glyph´s, but the GT is reccomended for audio and video stuff while the netdrive is reccomended noly for storage.

By the way, I found this ones:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/fw800-drives/#

Have anybody here have use this ones?
I email this guys and ask if they had the 911 chip and they answer me it had the 912 chip. Is this one approved by Digidesign? I ask you guys cause Digidesign answers .....................well.............do they really answer your emails?

I´ve also seen that they´re lot´s of GLYPHS CLONES!

Well, I have not decide yet, let´s see what happens. I´ve found a pair of 200 Gb Glyph for $599, and they are Glyph, but looking on the Wiebetech´s!

Thanxs for your posts!

PUPO
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaldo
I've been using firewire drives from http://otherworldcomputing.com and have had great luck with them for a couple of years of heavy use. Check them out.

P.S.

I posted I FOUND THIS ones but IO forgot to post:

THA NX TO ALLBALDO and others...

This one carry the 912 chip, would it be the same as the 911 chip?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

If you don't go with Wiebetech look at EZ Quest. Great drives w/enclosures and terrific customer service.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikawkee
If you don't go with Wiebetech look at EZ Quest. Great drives w/enclosures and terrific customer service.
Shikawkee,

Wiebetech are very very expensive in comparison with the EZ Quests. I still haven´t decide. I´ve seen that the Glyph´s are only Fire Wire 400 with the 911 chip. I wonder if the EZ Quest at Fire Wire 800 will be faster or if the transfer rate for PT will be a maximum of 400Mb/sec. I´ve email Glyph, let´s see what happens!

Thanx again,

PUPO

thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shikawkee,

Wiebetech are very very expensive in comparison with the EZ Quests. I still haven´t decide. I´ve seen that the Glyph´s are only Fire Wire 400 with the 911 chip. I wonder if the EZ Quest at Fire Wire 800 will be faster or if the transfer rate for PT will be a maximum of 400Mb/sec. I´ve email Glyph, let´s see what happens!

Thanx again,

PUPO

thumbsup

I think where Wiebetech saves you money is on the drives (if you're using the non-enclosure Drive Doc). About $1.00 per gig which is pretty good. Sometimes I get drives for .50 cents a gig during sales.
But like I said, you can't go wrong with EZ Quest either.

Good luck!!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

Go to Fry's Electronics and get the Venus firewire enclosure and put the drive of your choice in it. The Venus enclosure has the Oxford 911 chipset in it and works great with PT on both Mac and PC.

As an added bonus, the Venus enclosure is made for quick and easy (dis)assembly. This means you can buy a bunch of drives and when one drive is full, just pop the enclosure open and replace the drive.

They also make enclosures with SATA jacks on back if you swing that way. Highly recommended.

DD.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
I 2nd that, lacie sucks a fat one! I have glyph gt drives and lacie stuff and truthfully both of their bridge chips blow out about every 13 months. but the glyph tech support is WAY better. They have even overnighted me a new bridge chip when i was in a pinch. LAcie however doesn't even try to help you if your 2 year warranty is expired, they won't even sell you a new chip!! plus you can't open their enclosures without voiding your warranty.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B
I 2nd that, lacie sucks a fat one! I have glyph gt drives and lacie stuff and truthfully both of their bridge chips blow out about every 13 months. but the glyph tech support is WAY better. They have even overnighted me a new bridge chip when i was in a pinch. LAcie however doesn't even try to help you if your 2 year warranty is expired, they won't even sell you a new chip!! plus you can't open their enclosures without voiding your warranty.
Hi Chuck,

I thought Glyph´s where the ones but they have not answer my email (10 days ago I ask for some info)!

Other World Computer drives come with Seagate Drives and they support Fire Wire 800, Glyph don´t.

Thank´s for all your advice,

PUPO
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Addict

You should be more worried about the speed of the actual drive itself (RPM), the drive's cache size and speed, and the reliability of the drive than the speed of the Firewire connection. You're not going to get 400 from a 400 line, nor will you get 800 from an 800 line. Especially not if the drive is slow.

So yeah. That. Best of luck! I'm gonna be shopping around for drives soon, since I think my desktop is dead and gone.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

We use all Glyph drives and they rock. They do now put Seagates in them, they are quiet and reliable and Glyph service is awesome. They will cross ship a drive in the first year of the warranty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search