The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Fire Wire Drive
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Get your self one or two of these and put your own drives in them. Take your pick they have some cool stuff.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s00p3rm4n
You should be more worried about the speed of the actual drive itself (RPM), the drive's cache size and speed, and the reliability of the drive than the speed of the Firewire connection. You're not going to get 400 from a 400 line, nor will you get 800 from an 800 line. Especially not if the drive is slow.

So yeah. That. Best of luck! I'm gonna be shopping around for drives soon, since I think my desktop is dead and gone.

Hi s00p3rm4n,

Thanx for your help, I know that´s true. Other World Computing Stuff comes with Seagate 3.5" 7200 RPM IDE Drives. I think Glyph´s also come with this drives, the problem has been that I emailed them and haven´t receive a response. Other thing I like about the OTW stuff is that they are USB / 400 / 800 compatible. Sometimes I´ll not be working with my gear so this is a good thing to have

Regards,

PUPO

thumbsup
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

1- Lacie d2 work fine here

2- Mackie firewire bay is really slow...impossible for playback or recording
Even transfers with it is way too slow

M.

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

SATA/IDE firwire USB hot swap drives SAME as Wiebtech TRAY DOCK without the price $120.00 for FW800/400/USB2 $100 for FW400/USB. Extra SATA and IDE trays $30.00
www.centralcomputer.com

http://www.centralcomputer.com/itemd...m=DRICREU6104R
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Check these guys out. I may pick this bad boy up and pop in a 16 MB buffer WD drive. I like the fact that it uses a IEC power cord which I can strap right into my mobile rigs power supply. I just don't understand the RCA jack on the back.
They also make the same unit but with 2 drive bays that can run RAID 1/0.

http://www.cooldrives.com/firewire-o...enclosure.html

http://www.cooldrives.com/firen.html
Old 30th July 2005
Here for the gear

Best Firewire Drive

Hi,
Virtually all Firewire drives are marketed towards the consumer market and typically are built to a budget.
Therefore you will encounter DC wallwarts/no fan or noisy fans/unknown IDE mechansims/unknown bridging chipsets/consumer packaging/no QC.
At Avastor -our mandate has been a focus on build quality with a great feature set aimed at the pro user producing and editing MASTER material.
Therefore you will get a good beefy internal AC supply that switches from 90-240v/ultra quiet fan to prolong drive life/unique screwless enclosure/pro label set/100% QC/anti stat foamed lined lockable case etc etc.
Please check out our website www.avastor.com
We were the development team behind the Quantegy FHD drives.
I think you will be pleased with the performance of the Avastor.

Regards,

Richard Wilson
VP Sales and Marketing
Avastor Inc
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson
Hi,

Regards,

Richard Wilson
VP Sales and Marketing
Avastor Inc
I hope the drives work better than your website!
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wilson
Hi,
Virtually all Firewire drives are marketed towards the consumer market and typically are built to a budget.
Therefore you will encounter DC wallwarts/no fan or noisy fans/unknown IDE mechansims/unknown bridging chipsets/consumer packaging/no QC.
At Avastor -our mandate has been a focus on build quality with a great feature set aimed at the pro user producing and editing MASTER material.
Therefore you will get a good beefy internal AC supply that switches from 90-240v/ultra quiet fan to prolong drive life/unique screwless enclosure/pro label set/100% QC/anti stat foamed lined lockable case etc etc.

Regards,

Richard Wilson
VP Sales and Marketing
Avastor Inc
Hi,

People here has recommend Avastor but your website is not working!
Please let me know when it works.

PUPO
Old 30th July 2005
Here for the gear

Best Firewire Drive

Pupo,
It is a basic site with just our contact info and a spec sheet right now.
It will be expanded.
We are concentrating on production right now.
Pls email me at [email protected] -if you need more extensive info and need to know where to buy the drives.

Regards,

Richard
www.avastor.com
Old 30th July 2005
my lacie D2 is permanently unmounted
it kept falling asleep during recording sessions, taking the whole system with it.
good as temporary backup or parking drive
but other users seem to have no problem at all

so my guess there is the firewire controller ITB at fault.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

the quantegy drives always seem more solid than others - maybe it's just
wall-wart free & I like that - but they have come and gone alot, no problems

still use glpyh scuzzi hot swap as the main drives - its still much faster
on a big session than a fire wire drive........

be well

- jack
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Head

LaCie D2

Lacie D2s (5 of them) all awesome. Lacie Porche.. Ruuuuuun.. Ruuuuun. Two of them
freaked out last year during a project I was working on. Swore Id never use em again and havent yet. Keeping them around cause they are not heavy enough to use as a boat anchors.

J.D
Old 31st July 2005
jho
Lives for gear

We used to mess around with raw drives and such but now just use a Glyph GT103 Rack with Glyph GT Key drives.

Dig it.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

LaCie d2

I have two LaCie d2 fire wire drives and they work GREAT. I also know of a very large video production facility that uses many d2's, and believe me they can afford what they want.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

The Avastor's have been very solid so far. I have 3. Much quiter than both the Glygh and the Quantegy of which I also have.
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Nut

Avastor Versus Quantegy Firewire

Having now used both Quantegy and Avastor drives, I think the latter is faster, more reliable, and hands down far more quiet. Never had a major problem with either, but
the Avastor is sleek and that fan noise of the Quantegy drives used to drive me nuts.
I did have issues with a Quantegy drive and there was absolutely nobody at the company that could help me out.

I noticed the new Quantegy drives, which look suspiciously familiar, are not using an internal power supply. That's the main reason we went with the Quantegy drives to begin with. External wall warts suck.

The Avastor drives never had any issues with mounting, and work seemlessly with all our projects. I'm glad they're around after our Lacie nightmare....
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

I finally bought the Avastor...by the way, I thought this thread was dead man...

Until now...no issues...recording with other drives at 96 kHz, I found that they were really slow, Avastor is ok working at higher sample rates. About the noise....welll...don't know...sometimes, just sometimes...I prefer no fan...but I know this can give a netter life to my drive so it's ok.

Pupo
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

FWIW-

I switched to a PC laptop at home with the new Mbox 2 and no 800FW drive will work except my 2-year old Wiebetech Combo Doc 800.
It seems that model has an older firmware version (1.06 rather than 1.07).
The folks at Wiebe are re-programming the firmware right now for me
so we'll see if it's the firmware or Oxford has somehow changed the 922
chip. Or could it be the Mbox 2? Stay tuned....
Old 14th December 2005
Lives for gear

I've got Mercury Elite Pro FW drives from OWC pushing two to three years now with no problems. BTW, these are just cases for Hitachi Deskstar drives. You can easily take apart the case and replace or substitute a standard IDE/ATA drive down the line...

On a somewhat related note, the mechanicsm in my Lacie FW 52x CD-RW burner died recently (just out of warranty, of course). I took it apart and replaced it with a used device I found at OWC for $20. I know Lacie doesn't make the mechanism, but this is the second product I've had problems with from them. I'll stay away from Lacie from now on...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search