The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How's the Climate Where You Are??
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

How's the Climate Where You Are??

I'm seriously considering spending some time over in the US, mainly because it's something I've always intended to do but ain't yet, hence the question.

Obviously, it varies from indiviual to individual, but I don't think it's that great at the moment in the UK. I think it's been pretty grim for most people I know so far this year and it looks like there's some picking up headed along soon, I hope! There's ton's of speculative work about (as always), but the "mortgage" jobs are scarce at present, IMO, YMMV and I hope it does...

So, LA, NYC, Nashville, etc.. other places in Europe....Oz, Japan, anywhere else...how's things where you guys are?

(FWIW, I'm considering LA..... or going to Nashville to sort BrianT out!! Malice, r'you coming!?) heh heh
Old 14th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

I was going to say that the weather is beautiful with the dogwood and redwood trees in full bloom, but somehow, I don't think that you're talking about the weather...

As close as I can tell, some rooms in town are really busy, while others are going bankrupt - just like everywhere else...
Old 14th April 2003
London is tricky, work scarce.
Old 15th April 2003
There is only one

we went from 70 degrees to SNOW, then more 70-80 degree weather to 7" of snow, then more 70-80 degree weather. its pretty ****ed up this time of the year.
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Addict

hmmm... business climate = weather

yup! sounds 'bout right
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Habla Espanol?? seems ok here if u do...
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
A little Creole doesn't hurt, either.
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
Not really...

Keeping with the great British tradition though, what I can do is shout very loudly until 'Johnny Foreigner' understands what I'm saying. If he doesn't, you just shout louder....ahh, the bliss of ignorance.

Seriously though, I'd learn!!

(CLIMATE=BUSINESS. Shoulda made that more clear...)
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Addict

dang... and I thought all you E.U. guys spoke 8 languages and drank cappuccino all day.
Old 15th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Not really...

Keeping with the great British tradition though, what I can do is shout very loudly until 'Johnny Foreigner' understands what I'm saying. If he doesn't, you just shout louder....ahh, the bliss of ignorance.
I think that for Spanish you add an 'O' to the end of each word - "For breakfasto, I want toasto, jamo, and some milko for my bowlo of cerealo." At least, that's how they do it in South Texas...

Maybe for Italian, you add an 'A', for an 'ich' for German. They'll understand you if you say it loud enough and they try hard enough...
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
dang... and I thought all you E.U. guys spoke 8 languages and drank cappuccino all day.
That's the continental Europeans. The first other language most learn is English (unless it's your 1st language), especially in Europe, and it just makes us Brits lazy as hell when it comes to learning another language.
Es ist für meinen persönlichen Gebrauch. Er det nogen som taler engelsk?
Deustch und Dansk I can just about get by with, I'm not a total Philistine!!
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

I'd suggest LA. The rooms are very cheap right now. Hell, a studio manager just offered me a 9000K room for just under a grand a day. Meanwhile, I'm stuggling to find time here in Miami. Damn I miss home.
Old 16th April 2003
Mindreader

hey, i speak 8 languages

english
midi
smpte
C++
basic
backslang (pigeon english)
machine code
and another
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
hey, i speak 8 languages...
Bev, by your definition I'm not SO illiterate... let's see:

English (although the Brits may disagree)
Drummer (I talk to drummers occasionally and they are definately from a "foreign place" but they seem to understand me)
Gearslutz (i.e. "I took an E47 into the mp2nv with just a brush of 1176 into the psx100se staright to the mix+" ... my wife and friends hate this language, but that's why I come here)
Old 16th April 2003
member no 666

The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence... the fact of the matter is that it still sucks to mow.

The business climate is shaky all over the world... so a change in location may or may not lead to greener pastures.

The bottom line is that if you do good work, network [get to know people in your market that know you do good work] and are persistent with both... you'll at least make a living. Doesn't much matter where you are if you don't work at getting work...
Old 16th April 2003
Mindreader

ha ha curious

i've been working on a stupid film and it's DOING ME IN (one man band scenario)... And now the sun's come out at last and I can't go and enjoy it. I don't need a screen saver - I need an eye-saver to stop Logic being burned into my retina forever...

Last night at around 10.15 I lost it and phoned up a friend of mine from around the corner to go for a quick drink.

He met up with me at the pub and brought his cousin (a singer songwriter) and another singer he is working with 'cos he's a guitarist for a famous solo artist. And then someone else arrived to drop some tapes off for him who is also the md for another famous guy with his singer songwriter friend with him,and the topics for the evening became Logic, Midi and SMPTE.

So much for getting away from it.

Must make some more friends. I'm going to type in 'forum' and then 'random word' into google and hang around somewhere different I think.

Well, I'll have a go. Until I admit there really is no escape.

Time for a holiday.

What's this got to do with this thread anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search