The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apparent Loudness
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Head

Apparent Loudness

I'm looking for suggestions on raising the apparent loudness of songs in a DAW prior to buss compression.

Thanks
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Freq spectrum

Start with a balanced frequency spectrum. Most mixes I get are dull sounding and the producers wonder why it´s not as loud as Korn although they crank their L2 until no tomorrow. Human hearing is very sensitive to mid frequencies (especially 2k - 5k). To obtain a "loud" sounding mix, this range needs to be represented.

But don´t just boost 2k, go for a nice balance.

My second suggestion would be to compress and / or limit individual tracks carefully or use some sort of harmonic effect (tube or tape).

Rock on,
Bill
Old 22nd July 2005
Cranesong Phoenix
Sony Inflator
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

particularly since louder is better...

parallel compression does an ok job of lifting the perceived loudness....
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm with Jules, the Sony Inflator plug fits that bill...
Old 22nd July 2005
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryClutch
I'm looking for suggestions on raising the apparent loudness of songs in a DAW prior to buss compression.

Thanks
Why on earth would you want to do this?

And why before bus compression?
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

well I once again witnessed the distructive power of volume.....I put on Springsteens new album.... first tune starts out all acoustic... nice... builds a bit.... still nice... hit the first chorus bamm meter hit the wall and sticks solid.... massive distortions( the bad kind) brittle ugly .....I dont know where it happened in mixing or mastering... if it was mixing Bob should have sent the mix back for a remix if it was mastering ... shame on him... some one needs to send those guys some adam monitors next time maybe even Ludwig.... ok I'm sure everyone else loved it

cheers
SP

I guess I just blew my call from bruce for the next CD
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

oh and PS.. I know I get **** for this ..but when the sony guy demoed the inflator for me at namm a few years ago he smiled as he kicked it in and the level jumped .... my only comment was ..oh I see you can use this instead of your Big Muff .. I thought he was demoing a distortion device....

cheers
SP
Old 22nd July 2005
Mastering Moderator

[QUOTE=scott petito]
if it was mastering ... shame on him... some one needs to send those guys some adam monitors next time maybe even Ludwig....

hope this was intended as a joke.........
Old 22nd July 2005
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito
oh and PS.. I know I get **** for this ..but when the sony guy demoed the inflator for me at namm a few years ago he smiled as he kicked it in and the level jumped .... my only comment was ..oh I see you can use this instead of your Big Muff .. I thought he was demoing a distortion device....

cheers
SP
heh

Works wonders on electric guitar tracks! Better than the original Muff! heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search