The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bitch Session: Standardize Digital Transport!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Bitch Session: Standardize Digital Transport!

Ok, let me start by saying that I realize that this is probably never going to happen, but I have to get this off my chest. I am so sick and tired of buying and managing digital cables of all formats and lengths, especially when most of them carry similar data and could easily supplant one another. The depth of this problem has been reinforced by the recent relocation of my small studio which has taken weeks to get back into shape mostly because of cabling work and cable management issues.

Ignoring the thornier issue of data format wars (i.e. what travels over the wire), I'm amazed that the various relevant industries haven't standardized on a common transport method for most forms of digital data. I understand that analog signals and power signals have their own requirements, but there is no purely technical impediment I'm aware of to combining and routing all of the various forms of digital data over a common transport if the manufacturers would work together to make it happen.

I don't care if it's Yamaha's mLAN (limited in scope), CobraNet (similarly limited) or Gibson's MaGIC (which, while promising, seems to be going nowhere) -- I would love to see a single, wide-bandwidth open transport standard for routing digital data over reasonable local distances (perhaps up to 100 feet). Imagine being able to route storage (replacing SCSI and firewire), audio interconnects (replacing ADAT, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, firewire and USB), common peripherals (replacing USB, DVI, etc.) and network data with a single cable or snake of inexpensive cables like CAT6. Basically, if it's digital, it should be running on CAT6!!! This would lower R&D costs, component costs, reduce incompatibilities and provide a disincentive for manufacturers to create exclusionary, proprietary data interconnect formats.

I'm far too realistic to believe that this will happen in an age when major technology vendors are focusing a majority of their attention on locking up potentially profitable intellectual property to the exclusion of others (example: the next generation DVD wars), but it would sure solve a lot of problems in the Gearslutz universe, in information technology circles and in many other industries. It would also lower product costs by commodotizing interconnect parts and reducing product development cylces. I'd rather Yamaha, Sony, Samsung, Apple, etc. focus on their core competencies of delivering more functionality, not more formats, more confusion and more costs.

The other issue I see is one of priorities: companies like Intel have a much different view of what needs to travel over a common digital interconnect format than do Sony or Seagate or Tascam. Setting aside the role of the IEEE, there needs to a be an industry group consiting of a wide range of representatives who can draft an open digital interconnect standard to meet the needs of traditional information technology, consumer electronics, professional audio and other industries (like custom integrators who install A/V, alarm and industrial control systems). Given the obvious convergence of technology and media from both the consumer and professional perpectives, it surprises me that this hasn't already happened (or did I miss something?)

Just think about it -- how many types of digital cabling do you have to support in your environment and what is so special about the data on each of those different cables that they couldn't run on CAT6? Not even counting the various analog formats for consumer and pro-level audio and video gear, I'm running USB (1.0 and 2.0), firewire, CAT5e, CAT6, ADAT/Lightpipe, S/PDIF and MIDI all for a small home studio. Argh!

Aside from Gibson having near zero creditbility in the technical arena, why can't we all puch to see something like this become a reality?

http://www.gibsonmagic.com/thisismagic.html

-Synth80s
Old 9th December 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s View Post
Ok, let me start by saying that I realize that this is probably never going to happen, but I have to get this off my chest. I am so sick and tired of buying and managing digital cables of all formats and lengths, especially when most of them carry similar data and could easily supplant one another. The depth of this problem has been reinforced by the recent relocation of my small studio which has taken weeks to get back into shape mostly because of cabling work and cable management issues.

Ignoring the thornier issue of data format wars (i.e. what travels over the wire), I'm amazed that the various relevant industries haven't standardized on a common transport method for most forms of digital data. I understand that analog signals and power signals have their own requirements, but there is no purely technical impediment I'm aware of to combining and routing all of the various forms of digital data over a common transport if the manufacturers would work together to make it happen.

I don't care if it's Yamaha's mLAN (limited in scope), CobraNet (similarly limited) or Gibson's MaGIC (which, while promising, seems to be going nowhere) -- I would love to see a single, wide-bandwidth open transport standard for routing digital data over reasonable local distances (perhaps up to 100 feet). Imagine being able to route storage (replacing SCSI and firewire), audio interconnects (replacing ADAT, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, firewire and USB), common peripherals (replacing USB, DVI, etc.) and network data with a single cable or snake of inexpensive cables like CAT6. Basically, if it's digital, it should be running on CAT6!!! This would lower R&D costs, component costs, reduce incompatibilities and provide a disincentive for manufacturers to create exclusionary, proprietary data interconnect formats.

I'm far too realistic to believe that this will happen in an age when major technology vendors are focusing a majority of their attention on locking up potentially profitable intellectual property to the exclusion of others (example: the next generation DVD wars), but it would sure solve a lot of problems in the Gearslutz universe, in information technology circles and in many other industries. It would also lower product costs by commodotizing interconnect parts and reducing product development cylces. I'd rather Yamaha, Sony, Samsung, Apple, etc. focus on their core competencies of delivering more functionality, not more formats, more confusion and more costs.

The other issue I see is one of priorities: companies like Intel have a much different view of what needs to travel over a common digital interconnect format than do Sony or Seagate or Tascam. Setting aside the role of the IEEE, there needs to a be an industry group consiting of a wide range of representatives who can draft an open digital interconnect standard to meet the needs of traditional information technology, consumer electronics, professional audio and other industries (like custom integrators who install A/V, alarm and industrial control systems). Given the obvious convergence of technology and media from both the consumer and professional perpectives, it surprises me that this hasn't already happened (or did I miss something?)

Just think about it -- how many types of digital cabling do you have to support in your environment and what is so special about the data on each of those different cables that they couldn't run on CAT6? Not even counting the various analog formats for consumer and pro-level audio and video gear, I'm running USB (1.0 and 2.0), firewire, CAT5e, CAT6, ADAT/Lightpipe, S/PDIF and MIDI all for a small home studio. Argh!

Aside from Gibson having near zero creditbility in the technical arena, why can't we all puch to see something like this become a reality?

http://www.gibsonmagic.com/thisismagic.html

-Synth80s
I'm agree! I'm sick of all of the snakes and cabling!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search