The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
alesis hd24- does it have a sound?? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

alesis hd24- does it have a sound??

I'm thinking of moving to one of these. I plan on researching as much as i can about it this weekend, but would like to know from the folks here at GearSlutz that have been using this system for a while.

Does it have a sound?
Style of converters?

I'm blind going in and what like to get as much USER experience as i can from present HD owners, especially from some of the peole here who have "HEARD IT ALL" so to speak.

Thanks to all willing to share,
Steelyfan
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear
I love it. I use it mostly for the converters, these days. I have a non-XR, which everyone will say has crap converters, but I love the way they sound. I use it for larger tracking and use a HEDD for overdubs. Sold my Fireface, was going to get the Lynx, but staying with the HD.
Old 3rd April 2009
The converters on the regular version are pretty mid range frequency emphasized and congested sounding to my ears. You could make a pro recording with them if you had the right source/room/mic/preamps but you'll be fighting to get clarity and they will require more EQ processing. Clocking them to a Lavry makes a huge difference in the quality in my experience, significantly more clear and open to my ears. That's probably the most economical way to get 24 ins and outs and a recorder of good quality (when hooked to the better clock).
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear
To clarify, I'm clocked to the HEDD using Great River and API pres in a room I like. So all that was said may be true. I found it 350% more open sounding than the Fireface.
Old 4th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambro2 View Post
To clarify, I'm clocked to the HEDD using Great River and API pres in a room I like. So all that was said may be true. I found it 350% more open sounding than the Fireface.
The HEDD clock is most likely what is making the difference, it has a great clock too.
Old 4th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The converters on the regular version are pretty mid range frequency emphasized and congested sounding to my ears. You could make a pro recording with them if you had the right source/room/mic/preamps but you'll be fighting to get clarity and they will require more EQ processing.
I'll second that!
I used my Metric Halo 2882's as primary recorders and the HD24 as backup for a live recording last year. I mixed in DP with the Metric Halo tracks and then I imported the HD24 tracks. They were middy and murky and required a lot of eqing and other tricks to get the tracks to sound good. The Metric Halo tracks were very open and mixed themselves. All I needed was to pretty much just bring up the faders and use a few compressors.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Well.... I don't want to buy something new to work with and what goes in isn't what comes out. This seems unusual, I'm trying to get a new set up going, more hands on and no computer.Seems like this entails buying more gear to make it sound good.

I was thinking about this one, but maybe I'll start looking at the Akai24 DSP again, Something simple to use with good recording quality. Or is someone going to recommed something I don't know about.
I'm done with computers, but I've already ranted on that subject in another thread.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

You want the latest HD24 with "XR"(?) on the end. That's the one with the upgraded convertors. They also sell the "ECC" upgrade kit for the old HD24 with the same new convertors. I just recently upgraded my original HD24. I think it takes a really trained ear to hear the problems with the original HD24 referred to in this thread. I was tracking bands with my original HD24 for years with excellent results.

One thing I did see somewhere is that the HD24 works better with its own internal clock, since there is a termination issue when receiving external clock, but if others are clocking externally, perhaps it's not a problem. I always use internal clock with mine, and then transfer into DP via adat lightpipe and motu 2408 - which gives you a 24 channel transfer in one pass, (something you can't do with PTLE.)

One thing to be aware of - there is no "undo" when recording on the HD24. If you record on the wrong track and wipe out a previous take, you're SOL, just like on a real tape machine. The HD24 does have editing capabilities with undo, but they're fairly basic - copy and paste audio to a new location/track, whatever.

There are a ton of HD24s out there in use everyday. At least one of our local big-buck studios uses a pair of them when the client doesn't want to pay for 2" tape, and if I'm not mistaken, they're the original model without the upgrade.

There is a HD24 user's group out there somewhere, but it's not in my bookmarks.
Old 4th April 2009
If you are worried about the converters just get the XR version. Honestly, when talking about converters these days we are splitting hairs.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

I never heard the HD24 converters but I can tell you that the ones on the HD24XR are some of the best sounding I ever heard in that price range (and even higher).

If you are going to be editing and/or mixing with a PC then get the Fireport with it. You'll need it to transfer the 24 tracks in one shot to your PC at disk to disk speed.

I got it because I wanted a more immediate way of recording bands. So I got the HD24XR and a mixing console. I love it and don't miss doing everything in the box at all. It was just not for me.

The only frustrating thing about the Alesis recorders is that other than an old BRC etc. there is no remote control for it.

For the money its the best thing out there in its class. Also the HD24XR can also do 12 tracks at 98KHZ if you care for that.

Jim
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

I enjoyed your other rant thread and can appreciate your frustration with the computer. If you're not going to use tape, I would get an HD24XR and a Toft ATB24. If you ever want to use Pro Tools or Cubase again, it would be easy to intergrate, keeping the Toft & the XR. You would only have upgraded your computer rig with those purchases.

If you decide to stay with a computer (it's still recording to a hard drive, just like the HD24XR) & DAW software, look at the SSL Alphalink for conversion to and from the Toft ATB24. Sweet. 24 channels of conversion, AD & DA, for $2495. But, you get that and an HD recorder with the XR for $500 less.

I don't see how you can lose or really make a mistake if you go with SSL or HD24XR and a Toft ATB. Can you tell I'm strongly considering the same thing?
Old 4th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I was thinking about this one, but maybe I'll start looking at the Akai24 DSP again
I really like the stock HD 24. It is very easy to work with and the converters are great. I can not even begin to go down the list of coverters I have used (and currently use). You should consider that the rest of the signal chain is important and the color of each component can be voiced to match.. What console do you have?

Bottom line, the converters on the HD24 and it's ability to provide a very musical sound are not in question..
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornchuck View Post
Alesis HD24XR with (possibly mods from Jim Williams)
So I have heard about this upgrade, but I don't see it on Jim's site? Does he still offer it? I'm just wondering what he does and what it supposedly improves. I don't doubt his work, I'm just interested. I have an XR and I love it - but if it could be even better that would be cool!

Of course the question is when I could take it out of service to be modded (not to menetion afford that ).
Old 4th April 2009
Corran,
It looks as though Jim does not do mods to Alesis anymore. I found a thread in '07 that he said the stock converters in the Alesis HD24XR are good enough. Upgrading would not make much difference. Maybe He will correct me if I am wrong on this......(but that's what he said). Oh well, I'm still content with the idea of using the hd24xr as is.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Ah cool, thanks.

I thought I had seen an HD24XR being sold on the classifieds that had been upgraded to some awesome degree or something. Maybe they meant just a regular HD24 upgraded.

Regardless, the HD24XR sounds great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search