The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to buy next? Word Clock or Culture Vulture Audio Interfaces
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

What to buy next? Word Clock or Culture Vulture

Hi,

Need advice on what to get next. To give a better picture on what might be missing I´ll give you the asorted kit list. The studio is not commercial, more of a writing, prouction room and sometimes used for mixing 3rd party songs.

Foundation:
PT Mix++++ -> DA16 ->2bus LT - SSL Quad comp clone

Digital stuff:
1 x ADAT Bridge 24
1 x 888/16 for AES/EBU hooked up to TC M3000 and loaned (next door studio) PSX 100, used only when printing the final mixes
1 x RME 9636 for ASIO into ADAT Bridge
1 x Korg Oasys PCI into ADAT Bridge

Plese see my attached jpg for "easier" understanding on how it´s connected.
I understand that my layout is somewhat hard to read but easier than trying to type what´s going on. Anyway, If someone showed me this I would assume the final 2-track would pop and click, but it doesn´t.

Outboards worth mentioning :
2 x Amek 9098
2 x Amek CIB
1 x Distressor w/opt
1 x TC 1210

All quite clean except the Distressor, which I love and will get a 2nd one of in the near future.

My main music is beat oriented such as house music but also some "please the publisher pop" songs.
I Have not tried the CV or any external clock but judging from Jazzius reviews in earlier threads on the CV I assume almost everything could benefit from a bit of Culture.

I would sleep better at night knowing everythings in sync, but I can see much more fun if I decide on the Cult Vult. Choose one, but choose wisely
What would you do?

Best
/Jens
Attached Thumbnails
What to buy next? Word Clock or Culture Vulture-wc-hell.jpg  
Old 8th September 2005
Gear Nut

I'm relatively new on this forum, but I already know the default gearslutz-answer:

BUY BOTH!
Old 8th September 2005
member no 666

The "Mix Foundation" [DA16 ->2bus LT - SSL Quad comp clone] seems excellent... I'd seriously recommend you look at getting rid of the of the fukking 666+222 boxes as quickly as possible... even with a decent clock they'll be more of an impediment to your audio than anything.

While the CV can do some quite remarkable things to help your audio come alive... the 888's will find a way to undo like 60% of it with their horrible 2 dimensional qualities. Adding a superior clock to the system would be like putting a Ferrarri engine in a 15 year old **** box car... yeah, you'd have a great engine but no infrastructure to support that engine.

If you can find a way to score a better A/D converter to print your final mix... like a Lavry Blue [!!!] you can distribute the clock from that to the rest of your system [clock distribution amps run under $500 USD- last I looked] while the music you track [and final mixes you print] will have better life and depth.

Just a thought... best of luck with whatever you do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search