The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help picking preamps in given situation
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Help picking preamps in given situation

Hi,

Imagine having only 4 'money' pre's (SCA API copies) and doing rock/pop drums with those and the console pre's (Ghost)

Obviously I would go for kick, sn top and OH's. Question is: kick in, kick out or 'it depends' ??? And why?

Herwig
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

bump?
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, it depends . . . on what kind of sound you want, the mic, the room, the drum, the beater, the drummer, the music , etc . . . .

I normally use an ATM25 mic inside the drum pointing dead center of the batter head about 3 to 4 inches back . . . .works well for just about everything I do. ( Tama 22x14 bass drum with evans EQ4 head )
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

man, there is no way to say without hearing the kit, song, style, etc... as far as kik in or out, if i do use an in and out mic i usually put something a bit snappier and quicker on the inside and something a bit bigger on the outside. just experiment.
good luck,
joshua
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet
Hi,

Imagine having only 4 'money' pre's (SCA API copies) and doing rock/pop drums with those and the console pre's (Ghost)

Obviously I would go for kick, sn top and OH's. Question is: kick in, kick out or 'it depends' ??? And why?

Herwig
Just try it and hear what sounds best... As a default, I'd say use the best preamps on the things that are going to be loudest in the mix and need to have the most depth and definition. Also, if you need to eq a lot - for example a close kick mic - I'd go for the best preamp. Good signals often take eq better.

Good luck,
Dirk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search