The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for kik mic Condenser Microphones
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

Looking for kik mic

Anyone have any suggestions for a good kik mic to be used at the end of a tunnel...3 feet or so for the drum. I know the 47fet is a standard. Any modern mics working well in this situation. Been using mu Lawson and a Cad 100 for this application. Looking for alternatives. Thanks,
Tim
Old 14th April 2003
I've had good luck with an AT4040, FWIW. First choice is still a 47fet, but I've had good results with the AT.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Head

In front of the kik

I think that the Soundelux u195 kicks serious ass a few feet outside the bass drum.

Thadd
BlackCat Studios
Old 16th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

I've been a little too gunshy to stick my U99 out in front of a kick...

What is the chance of damaging such a beauty with all those SPL's? I know the U195 is not a tube mic while the U99 is...

feedback anyone?
Old 16th April 2003
One with big hooves

Depends on how close you get it to what spot on the drum. You'll get the most air moving from the hole in the front head. Get any condenser in there and it's toast but a dynamic will take it. Keep it at least two feet away and your fine. Tube mics are only more fragile if you drop 'em.
Old 16th April 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by jho
I've been a little too gunshy to stick my U99 out in front of a kick...

What is the chance of damaging such a beauty with all those SPL's? I know the U195 is not a tube mic while the U99 is...
Whether a microphone has a tube or solid state amplifier is of little relevance. The question is whether or not the capsule can handle the Sound Pressure Level of the sound source or not... the capsule in the U-99 is more than capable of handling the SPL from a kik drum... much in the same manner than the capsule in a U-195 or a 47FET can handle the SPL.

Fear not my brother... give it a go and see what you get.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear
I donno about a tunnel situation but an AKG D12E is my first choice for normal kick use. If you can get your hands one one second hand it's well worth having.
I have an IFet 7 on demo at the moment and although I have not yet had a chance to try it on kick, my first instincts are that it could be great.

Would you mind letting me know how exactly you created the tunnel?

DW
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

Anybody used the new AT kick mic???
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
I had one as a demo for a weekend. I liked it a lot. Each element sounds good on it's own. I think the dynamic sounds better alone than the condenser. it sounded good both inside and ouside the drum. I'd like to get one.
thumbsup
Old 17th April 2003
Old 22nd July 2005
Shure SM91 !!!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Neumann U47 FET when my buddy Gary brings his mics

Sennheiser 602, Beyer M88, AT 4047 (outside) when Gary doesn't show up
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I always use a popscreen between the outer kick mic and the drum when using a condenser. the wind blow will much more likely damage the capsule than the actual spl.
As far as mic selection goes I love a shure beta 91 boundary mic inside and for outside the fet47 is cool, but the last recording I did with a blue lollipop capsule and this kick sound killed! Never tried my U99b as a kick mic as it is my favourite front-of-kit mic by far. the u195 might also be a great choice if you are going for a modern (bright & lots of low bass) type of sound.

Rock on!
Pat
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

soundelux u-195 or soundelux ifet7
joshua
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

i would say the d112 is a best allround kick mic
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rente
i would say the d112 is a best allround kick mic
UUUUUGGGGHHHHH I hate that mic. The D12e blows it away.So does a Beyer M88
an RE 20 an Audix D6 or just about anything else. For outside the kick a U195 works great, also the speaker trick is cool.
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
UUUUUGGGGHHHHH I hate that mic. The D12e blows it away.So does a Beyer M88 an RE 20 an Audix D6 or just about anything else. .
Hummm... many put it down but I have had good luck with it for quite a few drum sessions. Does not work all the time but what does. I guess YMMV.

Anyway we are talking about the front of tunnel mic and I would say that you should check out the Subkick idea with a good close up mic in the sound hole or in the drum. The subkick is a good "modern" (not so modern really) take on the distant kick mic, worth checking out.

Say a SM91 and a Subkick as a good combo....
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

U67 or U47 when I have access to them.
Old 22nd July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Been using D12E in front just inside the hole, and a Sure beta 91 inside resting on an Evans kick pad. Been digging the 421 inside lately and a condenser outside a couple feet on front with a BLUE Mouse or a Gefell UM70.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys
I always use a popscreen between the outer kick mic and the drum when using a condenser. the wind blow will much more likely damage the capsule than the actual spl.
Maybe we need some clarification on this. Wouldn't the "wind" be part of the SPL?
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
Shure SM91 !!!
Outside the kick drum? I've tried lots of times. Its never sounded good. Inside, on the other hand - certainly.

The sm91 sounds great mixed with another mic close to the front (resonant) head. I like the at4047 on this application (outside the kick). With pad off its pretty fat - with pad on its pretty clean. So there.

Mike
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I've had good results with U195 and R-121's. I use the U195 closer more like you would with a subkick kind of mic to get sublow with some sustain. The R-121 is very cool in a sparser arrangement to get some space and ambience around the kick. Sometimes I don't make a tunnel and the R-121 is more of a mono room mic with some emphasis on the lowend sustain.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious G
I just cut some stuff with Clown from Slipknot, he brought his own mics, it sounded huge. the drummer was a complete monster though so YMMV thumbsup

I still like the D6 better

(o/t wazzup dynomike?)
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

John Bonham kick

How would you track a 26inch undamped Bassdrum, without a hole in front and "kicked" with a wooden beater?
Which technique? With one or two mics? Like micing a snare? Any experiences?
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
Whether a microphone has a tube or solid state amplifier is of little relevance.

Not my experience at all....

I like these:

U195
AE2500
KSM 32
U47fet

Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
I just cut some stuff with Clown from Slipknot, he brought his own mics, it sounded huge. the drummer was a complete monster though so YMMV thumbsup

I still like the D6 better

(o/t wazzup dynomike?)
The D6 is wayyyy tooooo EQ'd and phasey sounding to use in the studio - its a performance mic only IMO.

Try one of the mics I listed above, add some thump and snap EQ to taste, and you will get a much more natural, powerful sound.

Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
The D6 is wayyyy tooooo EQ'd and phasey sounding to use in the studio - its a performance mic only IMO.
well I must respectfully disagree, then again I am looking for a certain sound. the d6 may be a one trick pony but fortunately that is the trick I want it to do. And I LIKE the fact that I don't need to eq it.
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
Maybe we need some clarification on this. Wouldn't the "wind" be part of the SPL?

I wouldn't think so...If somebody makes a 130db noise from across the room, it's not the 'wind' that is going to fry my ear drums. Sometimes two phenomena that occur in close proximity in time can be construed as being related through cause and effect. Although in this case I don't think that is the case. So, IMO, two totally seperate issues. If we are talking about ribbon mics, put a pop filter in front of it, and crank the SPL to untolerable levels. IME the ribbon will be fine.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Has anyone here fried a capacitor thru excessive SPL? What happens? I mean, the diaphram can only move a certain distance back before it touches the plate, is it on the forward movement it rips? I take it this would be mainly the low frequency transients that would do this to a mic...
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I wouldn't think so...If somebody makes a 130db noise from across the room, it's not the 'wind' that is going to fry my ear drums. Sometimes two phenomena that occur in close proximity in time can be construed as being related through cause and effect. Although in this case I don't think that is the case. So, IMO, two totally separate issues. If we are talking about ribbon mics, put a pop filter in front of it, and crank the SPL to untolerable levels. IME the ribbon will be fine.

You know I have hear this argument a few times and my take is... Sound is just a pressure wave in a fast enough frequency and a strong enough amplitude to be "heard" by a living creature or a mechanical device.

SPL is just the amplitude of the wave front. A puff of air is just a wave front at a high enough amplitude that you can feel but at a slow enough frequency that you (luckily) can not hear.

Quote:
If somebody makes a 130db noise from across the room, it's not the 'wind' that is going to fry my ear drums.
Okay so let me take an air hose and put it in your ear drum and turn it on, it is not the 'sound' that is going to hurt your ears, it is the wind. Both the air blast and the "sound" are just pressure gradients and have the same mechanical effect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search