The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OSA question. Hello Nathan?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

OSA question. Hello Nathan?

Quick and possibly dumb question...

I just received my OSA 8-space rack fitted with 2 OSA pre's. It was an ebay purchase and the seller said 'there's an MP1-C and an MP1-L".

Fine enough, but I was surprised when the unit showed up that there are no markings on the faceplates to tell you which pre is which. Is there any distinguishing feature I should be looking for, or is it on the circuit board?

Secondly, both pre's have a 'mic/line' input. Should I assume that's a line level input and not a DI, or would the markings be the same in either case?

And lastly, if I want a matched pair for Drum OH's, which is the more 'logical' choice - a second MP1-C or another MP1-L?

yours truly,

clueless in Mississauga
Old 21st July 2005
The differences are told by the color code of the input and output knob (also, you can look at the input transformer on the card, the Lundahl's are labeled with Lundahl (on the L model) brand decal, the C model (Crimson transformer) is a smaller square transformer that is blank. We might eventually have different faceplates for each one, but I'm hesitant to let the street price rise for such a simple issue. Having one faceplate keeps things more cost effective.

Here are the color codes for the knobs

Top: White White White Black

Bottom: White Green Black Black

MP1-A MP1-C MP1-L MP1-L3

As far what's better on overheads, that's extremely subjective and depends a lot on the mics and style of music you are doing. The MP1-C has more of a midrange punch, the MP1-L has a more extended top end compared to the C. Experiment in mono with each preamp on overheads, you won't need stereo just to find out which one is your preference.

On the mic line button, the A, C, and L come standard with +4 inputs on the 1/4" input on the front of the preamp (as you know the back of the rack is all and only XLR). On those three models the transformer DI (also a Crimson) is a $50 option. The MP1-L3 comes with a standard transformer input on the DI, making it appropriate for instrument level usage (again, can be had on the other three models as an option). You won't get enough gain with +4 for passive pickup guitars. The nice thing about the +4 inputs is that you can run other line level devices into the preamps for coloration, as it will only pass through the custom OSA output transformer. You can tell visually if it has the DI option installed on your units by again looking at the circuit board. There will be three transformers instead of two (the black box is the op amp, not a transformer).

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help!
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks a bunch Nathan - that's very informative indeed.

Guess I've got the MP1-C (white/white) and the MP1-L (white/black) as advertised. And I count 2 transformers instead of 3, so that settles the Line/DI question.

This jives with what the ebay seller had said, I just wanted to be 'extra sure'. Hadn't even noticed the color difference in the knobs, to be honest.

Oddly enough I plugged my old Kramer into the Line In to test it out, and I actually did get enough level to record... but it was kinda' on the thin side compared to my TG2. Guess that shoulda' made it obvious my OSA's lack the 'real' DI.

Now I just have to decide where to go next (when my bank account recovers). I'm split between 2 MP1-L3's and some API-512's. Too bad that, being up here in Canada means I can't really check out the OSA stuff first... Oh well. I've got lots of new toys to keep me busy for a while....

THANKS AGAIN. heh
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz
Thanks a bunch Nathan - that's very informative indeed.

Guess I've got the MP1-C (white/white) and the MP1-L (white/black) as advertised. And I count 2 transformers instead of 3, so that settles the Line/DI question.
Actually, White and White is the MP1-A.
White and Green is the MP1-C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz
Now I just have to decide where to go next (when my bank account recovers). I'm split between 2 MP1-L3's and some API-512's.

It does sound like you have an MP1-A, but if the transformer is square and silver, instead of round and silver, you know you have a C...but I don't know why the knobs would be mixed up.

FWIW, MP1-C's and 512's will basically be redundant (for the most part). The MP1-C's have a little more color IMO. Since you have an L, I can kind of help you figure out what an L3 sounds like without hearing it. Since they both have Lundahls, the vibe is somewhat similar between the two, but the L3 is more mellow in the highs, and beefier in the lows and mids than the L. The L3 is also a little 'wider' sounding, where the L is more focused.

Also, we can retrofit a transformer on the DI if you need it.

Glad to be of help. :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search