The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
JBL LSR-32 as midfields
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Is it true these only go down (flat) to 50hz? I have the LSR28P's and they go down to 50hz (according to spec sheet) however the lsr32 has a bigger woofer so I was surprised to read that spec, i thought a speaker of that size would be flat down a little further.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Yes they are!

You my try adding mass to them. They are rather light for their size and with a big 12" pumping away, more mass should tighten them up further.

Bolting them solidly to a very heavy stand (with shot/sand, etc.) should help.

Well, that brings up another point. At this point I have the LSR32's up on my meter bridge vertical, but with the tweeter and midrange still mounted as they are supposed to be horizontal (these can be rotated in case anyone didn't realize this). I don't want the tweeters to be way above ear level, so this makes sense in my situation. I think ideally I'd like them to be horizontal, but then I'd have no room for my NS10s. What is the consensus of placing monitors directly on top of eachother, with some sort of vibration isolators between them? This would add more mass... Also, there is a very cool looking new product by Primacoustic called "RX7 Recoil Stabilizer speaker platform" that might work to isolate the NS10's if they are sitting directly on the JBL's. Check out the Nov/Dec '07 Tape Op review on page 83.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I read about the Primacoustic recoil and have seen their site and while I could see it possible to have some improvement, especially with a smaller speaker like the NS10 (and heavy for it's size), the only mass it is adding is the steal plate, which isn't much.

The LSR32 would need something more substantial.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 View Post
Is it true these only go down (flat) to 50hz? I have the LSR28P's and they go down to 50hz (according to spec sheet) however the lsr32 has a bigger woofer so I was surprised to read that spec, i thought a speaker of that size would be flat down a little further.
Well, the LSR32's are only -10db down at 35hz which is pretty good.

The LSR28p -10db point is 36HZ, so it seems similar on paper. I can only think that the LSR32 produces the low end with less distortion than the LSR28. Maybe someone else can explain this better, I'm not a speaker expert in that regard.
Old 26th November 2007
Lives for gear

I just looked at the spec sheets online and the low freq distortion (below 120hz) is lower on the LSR32 @ 96db SPL.

There is a low freq spec for the LSR32 @ 102db SPL, but not for the LSR28p. I can only imagine at that SPL the LSR28p would have done much worse than the LSR32.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search