The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.
Old 1st April 2009
Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.

I just wanted to post some pictures of a custom studio desk I just finished for a local producer friend of mine. I think you will agree, it is one of a kind. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Steve

I sat down with my friend and we came up with a design that would look like nice and provide a comfortable work place for an engineer during a normal tracking session but also provide a way for him to access his 88 note controller when needed. This is what we came up with...

It features a padded leather wrapped front arm/wrist rest, a pull out drawer for the computer and a place for the main controller to slide and hide out of the way when not needed... and it is motorized/automated... there is a crappy video of the desk in action in the zip file if you want to download it.

Forgive the poor quality of the pics and the video, I just took these with my cheapo digital camera. I plan on having more professional pictures taken once my friend has finished remodeling his studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00087.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00088.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00089.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00090.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00091.jpg  

Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00092.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00093.jpg   Very unique custom studio desk / workstation.-dsc00097.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jamies Desk.MPG.zip (623.0 KB, 282 views)
Old 1st April 2009
Here for the gear

That's some good work right there. Would you mind telling us a little more about the construction?
Old 1st April 2009
Not much to tell really.
The desk is just basic cabinet construction, made of solid oak and oak laminated plywood.
The 88 note keyboard sits on a shelf with heavy duty steel drawer sliders attaching it to the main desk top. There is a 12" throw 12v DC motor driven linear actuator attached to the back of the keyboard shelf which drives it in and out. The weight of the front arm rest assembly is mostly suspended my internal springs and is pushed down and out of the way by the keyboard shelf in much the same way a CD drive tray pushes open it's tray door. There are steel cables connected from the sides of the keyboard shelf to the front arm rest which pull tight when the keyboard shelf is fully retracted keeping the front arm rest firmly in place. Everything is very solid when the keyboard shelf is either position. You can put your full weight on the front arm rest when it's up and it doesn't budge. There are built in limit switches in the linear actuator that automatically cut the power when the keyboard shelf is fully extended or retracted so there is no danger of breaking anything. A simple 3 position rocker switch controls the whole thing.
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Nut

Good work!! You should post a video of it opening up!
Old 1st April 2009
Here for the gear

Appreciate the info. Do you design desks and things for a living? If not you should.
Old 1st April 2009
There is a crapy cell phone video of it opening in the zip file if you download it.

I'm actually a mix engineer by trade. I just do some minor carpentry work as a bit of a hobby. It makes for a nice break from working on music all the time.
I'd be willing to do any custom work for anyone interested in the Nashville area.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

when the leather arm rest pad is down for the controller to be played, is there enough room for someone's legs when they are sitting there playing the keyboard?
Old 4th April 2009
Sure, I think there is, but since I'm not the one who has to sit at it, I also made a latch that holds the arm rest completely back out of the way under the desk if you need more room. One quick additional push on the armrest releases this latch and allows it to be closed with the drawer. I'd say it's a little more than 12" of clearance under the keyboard to the arm rest.
The producer I made it for was completely satisfied with the end result.
Old 4th April 2009
Gear Head

that really looks good Stephen.
wow!
impressive.

would you care to elaborate more about how to hook everything up?
with more pics of it too?
if you're not interested in doing it "publicly" (ie. if you're gonna make this for some people from the Nashville area), feel free to PM me - that would rock.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

does the tray loading CD drive in the computer work sideways?
Old 4th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
Most optical drives have little tabs to hold a CD/DVD in place while upright.
Old 4th April 2009
teo
Lives for gear

looks great!
Old 4th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
Yes, I had a dual 2.5gig G5 (which is also what is pictured) and currently have a Mac Pro. Both of witch I used on their sides with no issues. I never had a CD get stuck or fall out when the drive tray opened... As long as you aren't trying to put 2 disc in the tray at the same time:-)

My original design had the computer upright with some narrow shelves next to it for hard drives but the producer decided that he wanted the whole thing on wheels and didn't want the desk surface any higher so I had to lose some hight in the bottom rack spaces.

You can't really see the wheels because they are recessed on the bottom and only stick out about an inch. With it sitting on carpet it pretty much makes them disappear.

Desk hight was definitely an issue. We decided that 30" would be the highest he would want to go. (most Argosee desks and mixing consoles usually come in at around 29.5") The desk top had to be thick enough to contain the controller when it was retracted and we wanted to have enough leg room under the desk to sit at it comfortably. I'm 5'10" and the producer is about 6' 3". I sit at it fine but he felt that it was a little tight. It worked out in the end cause the desk sits on a carpeted area and his chair and feet stay on hard wood floor. This effectively raised the desk maybe another inch which solved the leg room issue he was having and the overall increase in hight ended up not bothering him at all. So in the end. I could have probably just made the whole thing an inch taller with the wheels and kept the computer upright. But whatever, I actually think it looks pretty cool the way it turned out.

On a side note I hope he doesn't get rid of his NORD controller any time soon since I built the keyboard shelf specifically to fit it:-)
Old 4th April 2009
By the way, thanks to everyone who has given me positive feed back. I appreciate it!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear