The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
When are SSL faders audio/VCA
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

When are SSL faders audio/VCA

Anybody know for absolute certainty when an SSL fader is a VCA, and when it is an audio fader? And are we talking about E's G's, G's with Ultimation, J's or K's?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that on the newer SSL's (certainly the J's and K's) the fader is a VCA as soon as it is grouped. The physical fader position is only a representation of where the VCA level is. So if you're using the groups, then it makes no sonic difference whether you mix motors on or off, since the fader is not an 'audio' fader anyway. From memory, the only faders that are true audio faders are those set to 'Independent'.

I'm not sure about the older E's and G's, but I thought they were always VCA's? I should have read the manuals before posting, I know. In fact, I'm going to check it out tomorrow (since I'm currently mixing on a 9072J, I should really know!).
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Hey Adrian

The answer to your question does depend if it is a 4000 series console with or without Ultimation (moving faders) or if you are talking 9000 (J or K).

On a 4000 with out moving faders it is always VCA

on a 4000 with Ultimation Motors off mode is always VCA

On a 4000 with with Motors on it is generally NOT VCA unless you are automating and are in trim Mode.

On a 9000 It is almost always the fader path unless you:

Are automating and in trim mode.

Working motors off and have a group set.

I hope that makes sense
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

if you switch in the dynamics, your going through a vca. if you don't have the "motors" switched on you're going through a vca. if you get into trim mode with ultimation you're going through a vca if you use the small faders, your going through an audio fader and not a vca
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Small faders are a different issue.

On a 4000 they can not be automated so they are always taking the fader path.

On a 9000 they can be automated but are not moving faders. So when automating they will use the VCA path unless you are in absolute mode.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search