The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Electric Guitar recording need help
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Electric Guitar recording need help

What should be the signal chain? Can anybody give me some Tips & trick for getting up front sound. Please help. (POP, POP JAZZ Style)
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

guitar -> DI & Amp
DI -> interface
Amp -> microphone -> pre -> interface

this way you can re-amp later if you want to try different amplifier settings
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

with a SM57 and a R-121 and a Chandler TG2, or API or whatever quality preamp with some balls, you are going to be able to cover all your el. guitar recording needs. Throw in a Distressor later on to use on the more dynamic (cleaner) parts if you want to and your golden...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

My friend will bring his PRS custom made to the session. I don't know what to do with the tone. Any comment on how to handle this GT
Old 21st July 2005
azz
Gear Head

The PRS guitar range are all very well made (and expensive) guitars, So u sholdent have much of a problem whith this guitar. The main thing u shold foces on is the amp.
Soooooo what kind of amp is he useing?
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

It's very easy if you have a good source.

PRS + good playing is half of a good source. As "azz" said, you'll need a good amp too - what do you have? I've always had good luck recording 10" speakers so I like 210's and 410 cabs a lot. Totally depends what sound you're going for. A lot of pop type stuff will simply use a Fender (Super Reverb 4x10, Deluxe 1x12, Twin 2x12) at a medium volume so low volume playing is clean but as you pick harder you'll get a bit of natural tube breakup.

I don't really like the 57 on guitars, but many do, so try that in the center of whatever speaker sounds best to you. If it's too bright, you can try moving the mic off axis. If it's lacking bottom, mic'ing the back of an open-back cab can often restore that - watch the phase on this mic! Move it around till they sound good together, and play with the phase invert switch on that track with both mics together in mono. Other common mics that I like on guitar amps - Beyer m88, Sennheiser 421.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

This may be somwhat redundant depending on your expeirence with recording guitars. If it was my project with a dream budget I would start with a R121, 57 and md 421 into neve 1073 and chandler Ltd 1 pres. I would place the 121 about six- 10 inches back from the amp slightly off axis and to the left of the speaker cone. I'd place the 421 2 inches off the grill to the right of te speaker cone also slightly off axis and then angled toward the center of the cone. With the 57 i usually crank up the amp and get some hum to find the sweet spot. start at the edge of the amp and then sweep the mic across the grill until you hear the most articulate noise level (x marks the sweet spot). I've had better results with 57's lately by placing them off axis as well and not nessisarly slammed right on the grill. If the sound of the room is in your favor, try giving the mics a bit more air between the amp, especially the royer. A combination of these mics, good pres and decent convirsion should get you way close to the sound you are after.

cool as,
bloodz
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Pop/Jazz is still pretty broad. Are you looking for Kenny G jazz or Ornette Coleman? With all that said, you can get some GREAT, dark jazz tones out of many solid state amps too....like the Brute, etc. 15" speakers do wonders on jazz tones too. What about a Roland JC120?
I agree with the above, a well placed ribbon would probably sound ideal. The royer is going to be alittle more "upfront" than say a more traditional ribbon like the AEA's or even a real vintage RCA mic. You can definitely do it with a 57 too. It'll take the edge off which you probably want if it's more jazz than pop. If it's more pop than jazz, well, who knows...you might want a crispy, clean, upfront, overly compressed tone.
I don't know the song, so how can I comment on the actual tone you're looking for.
later
m
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

fatso is nice too
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetatkinsdiet
Pop/Jazz is still pretty broad. Are you looking for Kenny G jazz or Ornette Coleman? m
Probably not Kenny G dude, although he blows a mean horn, he's probably not much of a guitar player.

Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I totally dig recording guitar amps with a single Beyer M160 at the moment. There's a reason that this was supposedly the main mic used for Page and Hendrix.

That and a TG-2 never makes me miss tape in any way....

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I can recommend the following signal chain for mono gtr:

royer 121>chandler tg2>1176>tape/daw

I have a 1073 and I think the tg2 sounds pretty much as good for close mic elec gtrs providing you dont need any front end eq...that should all be done at the guitar and amp stage anyway IMO.

Sometimes I'll split the signal and run to two amps for more tonal choices.

But there are many great signal chains for this purpose. There is no one right answer. All you need is ears (and a good source and some good equipment, etc )
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

gotta go analog dude!

Jason
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys for your tips and info.
The amp was vintage handmade tube circuit (don't have brand) age 14 yrs
Style is pretty close to john Oat music. I'd like to get the good signal before going to RME

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search