The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice Please - pro tools 5 and WHAT MIXER?
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

Advice Please - pro tools 5 and WHAT MIXER?

Ok, So i finally decided to sign up here. I've been reading posts on here and searching things for some time now, but i finally have a question that must be asked. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on these boards, so i am sure a couple of you might have a piece of advice or two for me. thanks in advance

For the past couple of years, i have been recording on old Pro Tools 24 systems. I have two of them. Both are mix plus plus plus (4 card systems). 2 years ago I was faced with the choice of buying 1 HD rig with no plug ins or two used 24 rigs with every plug in imagineable. I have very little outboard gear and i needed two different work areas so i opted for the two older systems. Up until this point, I have done absolutely everything in the box. I use the one system (with 3 focusrite octo-pres --- yeah i know they suck) and 3 888's to record 22 channels of my band live in writing and rehearsal at our rehearsal space. The other system i use as a vocal/editing/overdub/writing workstation at my home studio. Lately, I've been getting into doing more and more recording of other people and have been reconfiguring my system often. I use software synths, hardware synths, lots of effects pedals and boxes to make things sound weird and track vocals through amps and things of that nature.... right now, with no mixer, it is a BIG pain to change things up.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:
I want to buy a mixer (used is fine with me) in the $1500 - $3000 range that will work with my old pro tools rig and my 888's. i was thinking that i wanted something easily flexible so i could use snapshots for different applications (one for recording the band live, one for various weird overdubs and effect pedal stuff, etc etc).

I want a mixer that is:

flexible and easy to use
a control platform for pro tools 24
something with at least fader and pan automation
something with mic pres and eq's that sound as good as possible (i only have one good mic pre at the moment - a 6176)

Whatever i need technically does not need to be 96k since my pro tools rig isn't. i have no problem buying a used console, in fact, i figure that is a better option for me.

What is out there? What are my options???? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search