The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Rosetta 800 distortion when recording bass...
Old 30th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Apogee Rosetta 800 distortion when recording bass...

Hello all. I've searched the forums and haven't found a similar issue, so decided to put this to everyone and see if I can get some help.

Recording with my band. Tracked drums and rhythm guitars so far. Signal path has been:

A 1/4" balanced batchbay, into a preamp, into an Apogee Rosetta 800 into an M-Audio interface via lightpipe, externally clocked.

So far everything has gone relatively smoothly.

Last night not so much.

Recording bass with a D12 in front of a 10" Gallien. Low volume. No pedals, just bass into Gallien. D12 into the pre. No compression.

Here's the problem/question.

I could not get more than a third of the meter in Pro Tools without getting a weird distortion/farty sound. Played with a million different gain settings on the pre. Tried a compressor to get more gain. Played with the gain setting on the bass/Gallien in relation to the gain on the pre. Still at essentially the same gain range we would get distortion/fart.

After two hours or so, on a whim, I decided to bypass the Apogee and go line in on the M-Audio interface's analog ins. Fart gone. Distortion gone. Signal significantly higher. Cleaner.

SO weird, so confused, so upset.

Set up a decent tone, decent gain setting, good level in Pro Tools. Going into the M-Audio. Sounds good.

Didn't change a thing, but just switched the patch over to the Apogee. Fart sound, MUCH lower gain, distortion. It was back.

Checked my patch, checked the DB25 connection, tried a different channel, same issue.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm very confused. Has this happen to anyone? Did it lead to an RMA # and repairs with Apogee? The unit is less than a year old. Haven't been working it to death.

What's more, now that I look back, some of the "issues" we had with guitars early on were eerily similar. Ribbons sounded farty at certain points. We solved those issues with lower volumes on guitars (thank you THD hotplate) and different mic setups, but I was still never totally satisfied with the tones. I'm wondering what's going on with the Rosetta.

Drums however sound great. And they were done on the Rosetta.

Do Rosetta's have issues with recording low end? Should I disengage the soft limit feature? Is that my problem? Do I have a bad unit?

So bummed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

The Rosetta 800 has no problems recording low freq's. I would try recording the bass on another channel and see if you have the same problem. I don't use the firewire but a RME card. The RME has a mixer that I open which allows me to control the signal going into my DAW. I don't know if the firewire has a similar option.

Good luck
Old 30th March 2009
Gear Maniac

hey tubeworld,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I tried all 8 inputs on the Rosetta. I don't have time to do another test until Wednesday, but will report back. Any other users with ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

how did you go with this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search