The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
flatwounds on fretless?
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

flatwounds on fretless?

hey guys, i play a 5 string Pedulla fretless and the 'clear coat' on my fingerboard is wearing away, the cost of having it recoated is way more than i can part with at the moment....do ya think flatwound strings would help with less wear and tear on the neck? also i've never ventured into the world of flatwound strings, i'm heavily influenced by Les Claypool and i got to thinkin', i think he's using flatwounds on Pork Soda on alotta the tracks. anyone tried the Half-Rounds from D'Addario?

thanks

wyd
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Time to buy a bunch of strings.

On my frettless, I use ground wounds. They still have some growl which I prefer.

Flat wound is fine for some, but not my personal cup of tea.

Long time ago I tried half-round and they didn't do it for me.

It is all preference. Try them all and one should jump out at you.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyourdaddy00
hey guys, i play a 5 string Pedulla fretless and the 'clear coat' on my fingerboard is wearing away,

To me, that's when an instrument is becoming good, and better yet, it's becoming 'yours'.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

somewhat related: I play fretless guitar and I put huge flatwounds on it -- results are great! I like them a lot more than regular, roundwound strings.
Old 21st July 2005
Have that clear coat buffed off the fingerboard. It makes any string you use sound like plastic. Any string will sound better on the natural ebony. I like half rounds on the ebony, but flats on the plastic clear coat.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewegogetemtiger
somewhat related: I play fretless guitar and I put huge flatwounds on it -- results are great! I like them a lot more than regular, roundwound strings.
Fretless guitar? I know about fretless bass, I've recorded fretless banjo (nylon strings, very cool), But what the hell is a fretless guitar?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Fretless guitar is so coool!!
I know a guy from Florence-Italy who plays a fretless guitar.
And it sounds....well....different but awesome!
It's like Steve Vai got creative with a hammer and a Jem777.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

been playing the same set of flat wounds for the past 10 years. I own a N5 American Standard P Bass, Fretless!
Old 21st July 2005
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Have that clear coat buffed off the fingerboard. It makes any string you use sound like plastic. Any string will sound better on the natural ebony. I like half rounds on the ebony, but flats on the plastic clear coat.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I always favour ebony fingerboards, and would be mortified if they had clear coat on them
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
been playing the same set of flat wounds for the past 10 years. I own a N5 American Standard P Bass, Fretless!
The same SET?? For 10 years? What a soldier!

I would love to try out a fretless guitar. Never had the chance...actually never seen one.

As per the clear coat...buff that **** off, you'll be a better man for it
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub

I always favour ebony fingerboards, and would be mortified if they had clear coat on them
Jaco used this boat epoxy from a boat yard in Ft. Lauderdale... can't remember the name off hand.

I used half rounds for a season, but they tear up the neck too. I guess it all depends on what style you are playing on your frettless. Pino or Jaco... i'd stay with Rotosounds. Flats on fretless? I guess that would be great for a more traditional full bass tone, but I never tried them on my fretless.

Best,

Kenny
Old 21st July 2005

I have the same issue with my fretless fingerboard wearing out, so much that I barely play it now, 7th "fret" A string goes "wow" where as the same note on the d string goes "dummmm", makes you have to think alot. Its because I have been using it with roundwounds.

The problem is the differenct is huge tonally between flat and rounds, flats are much deader but at the same time cool and mellow, ideally you'd have both (I hate it when people answer my questions like that), you can only try and find out.

There are these strings called "ground wounds" that are round wounds ground down flat, they are interesting but honestly I found them to be the worst of both worlds, not enough of that eaither tone.

If epoxy is good enough for jaco its good enough for me, actually did it to an old ibanez blazer once, ripped the frets off and epoxied it, I quite liked it..
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
There used to be a session guy in NY who, on request, would bring "The Motown Bass" It was a P with super heavy gauge flat wounds that had been on so long that if you looked across the neck you could sort of see little indentations in the strings where the frets hit them. Awesome sound. Pure note, no overtones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search