The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metering from Masterlink
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Metering from Masterlink

Back in the days of DAT I would mix as close to red on the meter as possible without hitting red. Then one day I got spanked by a mastering engineer who showed me how many overs there actually were on my mix.

D'oh.

He said the Tascams (DA30 Mk II) had notoriously bad meters and were not showing all the peaks.

I noticed last night while mixing to Masterlink that I am back to my old habits of pushing to just below the limit.

Anyone know how accurate the meters are on the Masterlink?

Mixing hot, hot , hot...
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

ml meters

Hi David, I had some diferences with the meter reading, I use wavelab for editing, then I have an aardvark directpro, then, a UA 2192, then the analog gear, then to a Mytek a/d then to the ML.
I had calibrated the sistem to -20 db with a 1k test tone , so the reading in the meters and in the analizer read -14 dbu, then the digital signal going to the Ml at the input it seems to read ok, but at the output is 4 db below the reference, I dont know why, so I always have to push in the limiter from 3.5 to 4 db to have that gain, do the test , maybe my ML need some adjust, I dont know if some one have this simptoms?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree, the output seems lower than it should be. Right now I am concerned with the input, unless the input is 4 db lower than is says it is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search