The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM New SX Series
Old 2nd February 2013
  #391
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogrubert View Post
I went into a store and listened to the S1X, S2X, S3X, P11, P33, A5, A7.

You will never guess, what pair I decided to buy because they show the mixing mistakes on my demo CD best... ;-)
so what is the answer ?
Old 23rd May 2016
  #392
Heard the Adam SX3's at a studio at was amazed how detailed and revealing they were. I am surprised there is not more talk about their monitors. Mark had the S3A which were replaced with the SX version. Everything from depth, space, and detail is on another level with these monitors. Very nice indeed.
Old 17th February 2017
  #393
Gear Head
 

Up =)

Hello every one. Can u help me. Iam thinking about take S2X with SUB10mk2 or try to find B-stock S3X-V for same price (s2x+sub10). Is S3X-V better than S2X with sub10mk2? Or diference not so huge? Now i have A8X.
Old 17th February 2017
  #394
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NisT View Post
Up =)

Hello every one. Can u help me. Iam thinking about take S2X with SUB10mk2 or try to find B-stock S3X-V for same price (s2x+sub10). Is S3X-V better than S2X with sub10mk2? Or diference not so huge? Now i have A8X.
i tried the S2 X with a sub 8 (witch was more than enought in my room) it's an exellent combo ,and i always prefered having a sub (that you can move and tweak level wise and phase wise) to get the problem sorted easier that a big 3 way near a wall !! for exemple .... also add to this that the medium on the s2x will be even better since on the sub you will exclude like for exemeple everityhning from 85 hz to zero from the S2X ...

That said i tested the Quested 2108 , and the quested stayed .... lol not the S2X .... (i was moving from a P11A + Sub 8 combo , i always found that the P11A were one of the best Adam ever made)
Old 17th February 2017
  #395
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
i tried the S2 X with a sub 8 (witch was more than enought in my room) it's an exellent combo ,and i always prefered having a sub (that you can move and tweak level wise and phase wise) to get the problem sorted easier that a big 3 way near a wall !! for exemple .... also add to this that the medium on the s2x will be even better since on the sub you will exclude like for exemeple everityhning from 85 hz to zero from the S2X ...

That said i tested the Quested 2108 , and the quested stayed .... lol not the S2X .... (i was moving from a P11A + Sub 8 combo , i always found that the P11A were one of the best Adam ever made)
Nice =) But if we are talking about middle, s1x will be better (6" woofer vs 7.5" S2X) But i am dont want buy s1x=)
I have only one problem. I can put sub only in the corner of the room, near with door to next room, or second variant place it in another part of room behind of listener. Is it bad positions for sub?
Old 17th February 2017
  #396
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
not necessarily , if you can , think of one solution like sonarworks or dirac , the diff is hudge , and you will end up with a great system (of course i suppose that you have done acoustics work before) and be absolutly sure to put one of this under the sub :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeII

It was like night and day the first time i tried one of those ....
Old 19th March 2017
  #397
Here for the gear
 

I'm looking to buy some Adam SX monitors for low volume critical listening in a home studio. I've read several review that say S3X excels in this area (and A77X as well). Does anybody know if S2X would also excel for extended periods of low volume listening, or would the 3-way speaker be required to get excellent bass and mids at low volume? I wouldn't be using a sub with any SX monitors.
Old 29th September 2017
  #398
Here for the gear
 

Hello guys .
I want your help . I'm working on my 8.5 square meter room (2.2x3.95) height 2.75m
My room have this treatments : 22 unit of cinema round abs
6 units of multifuser dc2
9 units of flexi A75
5x mega fuser bass trap + vicoustic vari bass in front of them for each corner in front of me ( right and left )
And round bass 360 floor to the roof in the corners behind me .
I make electronic dance musics , Trap and most of the time and some times progressive house .
In my country i can only buy ADAM monitors or GENELECs or Neumann .
I want to you to share your knowledge . Which monitor should i buy ?
, , S3X , , 8330 , 8340 , .
Do i need subwoofer ?
I heard that the genelecs wont give a good mixing export in other devices like car laptop or anything and they will make my ears sick after hours .
I want to buy something which work for me a long time. A wise choice .
I will be so glad to see you sharing your knowledge cuz i'm new to the game and young .
Sry if i made any mistakes in my english grammering . Good luck everyone is his/her music carrier .

Last edited by alidhhhhhh; 5th October 2017 at 09:41 PM..
Old 14th July 2019
  #399
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

I’ve listened to a lot of speakers these are amazing. I can’t believe they’re 10 years old...so far I can’t fault them Anywhere. I just got an older one without the flange, but I have no port chuffing. Even if it had it, I wouldn’t care. Did they upgrade it just because of the rattle some had ?

Last edited by JblKid95; 14th July 2019 at 04:35 AM..
Old 8th December 2019
  #400
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Heard the Adam SX3's at a studio at was amazed how detailed and revealing they were. I am surprised there is not more talk about their monitors. Mark had the S3A which were replaced with the SX version. Everything from depth, space, and detail is on another level with these monitors. Very nice indeed.
Do you remember which model you heard? Was it the S3X-H? Or the S3X-V?

I'm getting in a pair of the H's in my room this week.
Old 8th December 2019
  #401
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Do you remember which model you heard? Was it the S3X-H? Or the S3X-V?

I'm getting in a pair of the H's in my room this week.
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!
Old 9th December 2019
  #402
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!
I'm very excited. Don't think they'll disappoint. I'll update after I've got them set up.
Old 16th December 2019
  #403
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments!
I'm going to copy the impressions that I sent to JBLkid...

"More impressions...I'm going to use the track "Angel" by Massive Attack as my reference here. If you haven't heard it go listen to it on the S3X-H.

The Low End: Tight, controlled yet at the same time HUGE. Kick has WEIGHT and the bass / kick relationship is perfect. Exactly how this song should sound. My Twins could never reproduce that kind insane low end. The low end never overwhelms the track either. Just sounds like it's own space below everything. I have my Adam's on Sound Anchor stands with the tweeter exactly at ear level about 3.8 feet from me btw...

Front to back information: Reverb levels are, in my opinion, almost as important, if not more important then midrange detail. The sidestick in the intro of Angel is dry and mixed right up front and the feedback on the guitars in the background feel like they're actually behind the sidestick. This is how I love to listen to music. Reallly get DEEP into the mix. The Adam's are 3D but not phasey which was always one of the things about the Focal Twins I didn't like. There was zero perspective of front to back like these. Go listen to some 80's stuff on these Adams...The reverb on the snare drum on Arcadia's "Election Day" is bananas. SO LOUD and STEREO. But then you pop on your headphones and you hear it again. I never noticed how pronounced it was until I heard it on the Adams. On the Adam's I can actually discern the percentage of how drenched an instrument is in reverb on full mixes. I've never been able to do that on any other speaker until now. It's mega detailed in this regard.

The top end: Beautiful. The separation of frequencies between different percussion / drums in the top end is just incredible. I can hear a hihat's frequency and it's relationship to a ride cymbal and they sound totally independent of each other. Same with crash cymbals. They're a tad bright / have presence but not fatiguing in any way to my ears. The ribbon tweeters are such a nice change to the Twin's overly metallic / shiny top end that presented high frequencies that no normal playback system (consumer headphones, Sonos, etc) ever has.

Mid range: The mid range is the only thing I can't tell how detailed it is compared to something like the Twins. The Adam's aren't any where near the level of the ATC's here but that's to be expected. The Twins made rock records that sound great (Queens of the Stone Age, etc) sound like SHHIIIIT. I never liked that about them. They always made distorted guitars sound overly distorted in the 3K-5K region. The adams still show that distortion, but it's not as pronounced which I feel is more correct. I don't want my mixes to sound overly soft in the midrange. I want them to have definition.

Any rate - I'm going to actually start mixing on them now. I'm going to pull up a track for my band that I've been having a hard time with on the Twins and see what the Adam's tell me to do with it.

So far I am 99.9% sure these are my next monitors but I have 27 days to decide. It's honestly up between these and the ATC SCM25's but I know for a fact the 25's aren't going to give me this kind of low end information.
Old 16th December 2019
  #404
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I'm going to copy the impressions that I sent to JBLkid...

"More impressions...I'm going to use the track "Angel" by Massive Attack as my reference here. If you haven't heard it go listen to it on the S3X-H.

The Low End: Tight, controlled yet at the same time HUGE. Kick has WEIGHT and the bass / kick relationship is perfect. Exactly how this song should sound. My Twins could never reproduce that kind insane low end. The low end never overwhelms the track either. Just sounds like it's own space below everything. I have my Adam's on Sound Anchor stands with the tweeter exactly at ear level about 3.8 feet from me btw...

Front to back information: Reverb levels are, in my opinion, almost as important, if not more important then midrange detail. The sidestick in the intro of Angel is dry and mixed right up front and the feedback on the guitars in the background feel like they're actually behind the sidestick. This is how I love to listen to music. Reallly get DEEP into the mix. The Adam's are 3D but not phasey which was always one of the things about the Focal Twins I didn't like. There was zero perspective of front to back like these. Go listen to some 80's stuff on these Adams...The reverb on the snare drum on Arcadia's "Election Day" is bananas. SO LOUD and STEREO. But then you pop on your headphones and you hear it again. I never noticed how pronounced it was until I heard it on the Adams. On the Adam's I can actually discern the percentage of how drenched an instrument is in reverb on full mixes. I've never been able to do that on any other speaker until now. It's mega detailed in this regard.

The top end: Beautiful. The separation of frequencies between different percussion / drums in the top end is just incredible. I can hear a hihat's frequency and it's relationship to a ride cymbal and they sound totally independent of each other. Same with crash cymbals. They're a tad bright / have presence but not fatiguing in any way to my ears. The ribbon tweeters are such a nice change to the Twin's overly metallic / shiny top end that presented high frequencies that no normal playback system (consumer headphones, Sonos, etc) ever has.

Mid range: The mid range is the only thing I can't tell how detailed it is compared to something like the Twins. The Adam's aren't any where near the level of the ATC's here but that's to be expected. The Twins made rock records that sound great (Queens of the Stone Age, etc) sound like SHHIIIIT. I never liked that about them. They always made distorted guitars sound overly distorted in the 3K-5K region. The adams still show that distortion, but it's not as pronounced which I feel is more correct. I don't want my mixes to sound overly soft in the midrange. I want them to have definition.

Any rate - I'm going to actually start mixing on them now. I'm going to pull up a track for my band that I've been having a hard time with on the Twins and see what the Adam's tell me to do with it.

So far I am 99.9% sure these are my next monitors but I have 27 days to decide. It's honestly up between these and the ATC SCM25's but I know for a fact the 25's aren't going to give me this kind of low end information.
Appreciate the review. Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Especially your comments about the mid range. I’m hoping to demo these and the Dynaudio Core59’s.
Old 16th December 2019
  #405
Lives for gear
 
Shaggy2039's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Appreciate the review. Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Especially your comments about the mid range. I’m hoping to demo these and the Dynaudio Core59’s.
Sure thing. BTW - My room isn't that big - it's 14X13 feet. There were a few people commenting to me about how that's too small for the S3X-H's. They sound incredible in my space. I have all the corners covered floor to ceiling with GIK Tri Traps plus 27 GIK 244 traps on the ceiling and all 4 walls. If you don't have adequate treatment you might have a different experience with the low end on the Adams but in my room with this level of bass traps they sound insanely great. Ive demoed the Genelec 8351,8341 and the KH310's in here recently and none of them were giving me this kind of presentation across the spectrum.

Remember, the Adam's used to go for $9K before they were discontinued. I picked mine up for around $4K from Vintage King and they 100% sound like a premium monitor.

Edit: Also - probably the biggest thing I've noticed about the Adams is that they lean more "musical" than "clinical". The KH310's for example were nice but didn't really have a vibe. As a composer I wanted a monitor that I can write and feel inspired on but also revealing and detailed. The Adam's seem to fit that bill. I'll know more as time progresses but that's my initial impression.
Old 16th December 2019
  #406
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 

If you set the S3xh 5ft apart, they'll work even better. It's impossible to make those speakers sound bad placement wise imo. The mid range on atc is forenzic, and incredible, but it doesn't sound like that elsewhere. The s3xh is more true to other mediums with a great midrange. I don't like speakers that give way more than it's suppose to. that's not "accurate" for me.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 78 views: 20190
Avatar for anseo
anseo 8th February 2010
replies: 115 views: 9634
Avatar for poshook
poshook 2nd July 2009
replies: 57 views: 9599
Avatar for ECM
ECM 22nd July 2014
replies: 340 views: 57969
Avatar for JblKid95
JblKid95 21st July 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump