The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amplitube? Really?
Old 5th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Amplitube Fender is very very very good. Try the bassman with everything on 10 and 1 of the stomp box distortions.

These plugins come alive when you use them in stereo and have slightly different settings each side.
Old 5th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
With Amplitube, the amp model I got some of the most pleasing results from was the AC-30 one, for a nice thick distorted tone that could be rolled off on the low end as needed to fit. I was DI'ing in through a Great River with the input transformer cranked as well.

And you really do have to get out of the pre-sets, and also turn off matching in many cases, so that you can mix and match pre-amp and power-amp and EQ sections. That makes for much more flexibility.
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i got two computers and was hoping to use one just for amplitube /guitar rig, send it to a real amp mic it , mix it, and send it to the brain computer..i thought it was going to be great ,..but there just so staticky,..i tried bypassing the ampsim fx on the programs, but..damnit man, does anyone know hoe to reduce the noise?
ive tried amplitube guitar rig, waves gtr stomp, overloud,..there all so noisy...but i can see in the future it will be a nice way to record, i hope.
anyone
?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Agreed, for a heavy guitar tone, as far as amp sims go, Peavy Revalver is the way to go. if you really want to go amp sims all the way, I would use Metal Amp Room & Revalver on both sides (2 tracks per side).

I will actually recommend that you go with an EVH 3, a Marshall cab w/ Vin 30's, an SM7, Bear Knuckle pick ups, a good pre-amp, & a good guitar player but, in a "on the fly" situation, Metal Amp Room & Peavy Revalver can certainly get the job done. Amplitube is usable but, IMHO, for a heavy guitar tone, probably the worse of the 3. However, I've had good experiences using Amplitube 3 for non-distorted, cleaner guitar tones so, I won't completely bash it.

Hope that helps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its all about the drums, bass AND guitar tones. Check it out!.

YouTube - Amplitube 3 - Dual Rectifier + Guitarhack Impulses

(Sorry I'll learn how to embed soon promise
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Loving Guitar Rig 4.

Of course, I use it on everything else - but mostly not guitars...heh

And yes, I've been using ReValver for over 10 years. Love it.

...Again, though - mostly on drums, vocals, etc....not so much on guitars.

ReValver is killer on backing vocals, vocal doubles for an edge -
and especially slamming on drums and percussion, for textures in a mix.

A also quite like the Sonar amp simulator plugs - again, especially for vox, drums and percussion/loops.

Every once in a while, I'll run guitars through these plugs, too heh

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
like some people've said, the presets are poop. I wouldn't rely solely on Amplitube, but it can fatten up a guitar sound if you layer it in with the mic'd amp.

The 'Fender' version of it is probably the best one I've used.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by banginhoes View Post
i got two computers and was hoping to use one just for amplitube /guitar rig, send it to a real amp mic it , mix it, and send it to the brain computer..i thought it was going to be great ,..but there just so staticky,..i tried bypassing the ampsim fx on the programs, but..damnit man, does anyone know hoe to reduce the noise?
ive tried amplitube guitar rig, waves gtr stomp, overloud,..there all so noisy...but i can see in the future it will be a nice way to record, i hope.
anyone
?
Send it to a real amp? Are you using a re-amp box?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
they're all similar. none of them feel like a real amp but theyre all workable in a full mix. the waves gtr is underrated. i got it cause they have it lite for a year free and it suprised me. really good and not just for gtrs. i use the pedals all the time on vocals, keys, drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
amplitube is great for clean sounds or for some fender/overdriven guitar sounds. For distortion (if I have to go DI), I use Studio Devil Virtual Guitar Amplifier. Doesn't have that air/room sound, but I think it sounds pretty good. Studio Devil - Products
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew AE View Post
they're all similar. none of them feel like a real amp but theyre all workable in a full mix. the waves gtr is underrated. i got it cause they have it lite for a year free and it suprised me. really good and not just for gtrs. i use the pedals all the time on vocals, keys, drums.
amen! I love the Waves GTR stomp boxes!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like to have the choice with amp plugs. I'm sometimes using guitar rig, amplitube and even nigel from the uad. when the sound suits it's ok with me.

But honestly: a real amp, even the smallest tube amp does sound more real, fuller to me. It is mainly for those in between sounds you know when you play softly and it is clean and then you play a little harder and the tubes start to distort in this warm and nice manner ... till now I haven't heard any plug that could accurately do this.

my 2ct

Maybe with Nebula this is possible ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For me there's a big paradox here: Amp modelers are advertised as improving your workflow, getting great sounds fast,etc but most folks realize that they do have to work pretty hard to get great sounds. At least if you're looking for something reasonably unique that isn't just 'Shred Preset 21'.

What's so difficult about micing up an amp? Often, smaller tube amps that wouldn't be powerful enough for live work sound the best in the studio.

And even though some modelers do sound pretty good it's just no fun to play through them. I want the amp to react to my playing and vice versa, it's more than just triggring a sound.

Also, I found that mixing amp modelers sound can be pretty difficult whereas a decently captured amp seems to find its natural palce in a mix much easier as there's always 'air' involved, even when close-micing.
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
FWhat's so difficult about micing up an amp? Often, smaller tube amps that wouldn't be powerful enough for live work sound the best in the studio..
Is it not possible that every "ampsim" thread doesn't get hijacked by "ampsims suck, real amps are better" posts. Even if they're correct, it's just like some tiresome Mac/PC discussion.

We all work differently.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
Is it not possible that every "ampsim" thread gets hijacked by "ampsims suck, real amps are better" posts. Even if they're correct, it's just like some tiresome Mac/PC discussion.

We all work differently.
Sorry but I'm only talking about my own experience. Seems to me like the OP was indeed questioning amp modelers per se so I do think that I was on topic even though you might have heard my point before.

And I certainly didn't say "amp sims suck, real amps are better". I just said that sometimes the most obvious thing (like miking up a small amp) might get overlooked. As a guitar player, I went through the 'rack phase' in the late 80s/early 90s where you pretty much HAD to show up with Exciters, SPX 90s and a lot of blinking lights in your live rig. At some point, after having huge trouble with hiss and dropouts during a soundcheck I just went direct into the Marshall with maybe a Boss distortion still in line. It sounded WAY better and it was a big lesson to me.

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have and use a lot of amp sims for different uses...

- Line 6 Gear Box
- Pod Farm
- Guitar Rig
- Waves GTR
- Amplitube (Regular & Hendrix)
- Pod XT
- Andrenalinn III
- UA Nigel
- Recabinet
- shareware/freeware amp sims (canadian metal, etc)

They all serve a purpose as tools. Sometimes a quick & dirty part can be put down fast getting inspiration by quickly scrolling through different set ups. It's all good.

The main problem that they ALL suffer from is a lack of head room that you get from a real amp. The biggest difference you'll find in the sound of a sim versus a real amp is on the VOLUME knob. My vintage fender twin never goes above "2" in the studio, but on a sim it'll be "8-9"...

You don't need a tube real amp volume above 2-3 in most studio applications, even low watt amps like the Vox AC4 TV, the pro-jr, even the epiphone valve jr rarely see's service above 4-5 in my studio.

so to each his own, they each have their place - sometimes it's just faster and easier to dial in a sim. sometimes you just want the feeling and expression of a real amp.

have at it...
Old 16th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
With Amplitube, the amp model I got some of the most pleasing results from was the AC-30 one, for a nice thick distorted tone that could be rolled off on the low end as needed to fit. I was DI'ing in through a Great River with the input transformer cranked as well.

And you really do have to get out of the pre-sets, and also turn off matching in many cases, so that you can mix and match pre-amp and power-amp and EQ sections. That makes for much more flexibility.
Which AC30, Dean? Blue or Copper?
Are you driving the amp input with a distortion pedal or graphic EQ boost?
This is when Vox amps really show their stuff.
Old 18th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hey guys. Anyone thinking of purchasing AmpliTube Fender on the iPhone or iPad who has already purchased AmpliTube 2 on the iPhone or iPad (or thinks they may want to) please make sure to get the latest AmpliTube 2 update from iTunes and add the Fender bundle through an in-app purchase inside AmpliTube 2. This will make all the Fender models available along side your existing AmpliTube gear without having to purchase Fender twice. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't get how or why people would use a guitar amp sim on an iphone
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
To my ears

They're very much there already, I havent played through a real (non-modelling) amp for years.

I use a Vox Valvetronix AD120VT for live and recording, and a Pod XT Live to simulate pedals going in front of it.

To my ears the sound of any of those is not only as good as a real amp. it simulates the sound of a real amp without the annoying realities of actual amps : The scratchy pots, that annoying buzz that comes on channel two after the amp has been on for an hour, and all the other annoying **** that gets in the way of making music. Plus they can do so without having to be turned up to 11, which is nice on my neighbours.

When it comes to live gigs, the difference between a modelling amp and a real one becomes simply irrelevant: How you could begin to tell the difference between a real Fender Twin and a modelled one in that environment is beyond me.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Amp sims are just another tool, and even if it doesn't sound like the real thing... hey a lot of people are looking for new sounds and for things that actually DON"T sound like the real thing !

And after all, you can't carry 20 amps and cabinets on a backpack when you are going for vacations now can you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amplitube sounds great when reamped into a cleanish tube amp. A great way to get high gain/metal tones if all you've got lying around is a Champ or Princeton.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
One can;t help but chuckle to see how, on the one hand, someone enquries to achieve a similar tone to a particular guitarist to be told; "It's all in the technique"..... to then discover,actually no it's not it's cos they use a real amp...

Fact...many many albums in the 80s, the guitars were DIed through the desk, which is a good part of the reason I managed to pick up a Hiwatt Dr103 for 80 quid in 1988.

fact , several of the best guitarists i know now use sims live and in the studio cos they do the job far far more efficiently and more importantly, in a repeatable manner.

It's about personal taste. To me, if you want to suck every last ounce out of the tone of your guitar and make it sound utter bollox, simply stick some EMG pups in it, job done. You can stick it through something built by Dave Reeves himself and blessed by Terpsichore and the sound will, to my ears, still suck to the nth degree.
Old 19th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester View Post
Same reason Line 6, Boss and many other company's made digital processors. Its simple, easy, EXTREMELY portable and being able to jam out with a Fender amp cranked in your headphones at 3 am instead of in your real amp just may save some marriages! IK Multimedia: Musicians first!
Old 20th February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester View Post
Same reason why you would want the internet and email on a phone.
So you can take it with you and access it everywhere you go, of course.

I can take my guitar with me to the park now, and practice for hours while sitting under a tree.

Next week, I plan on going down to the local guitar super center to record a bunch of Telecasters, Strats, and a PRS or two into AmpliTube on my iPhone through my iRig, and bring them home with me so I can compare some guitars and see how they sound through AmpliTube 3 in my DAW.

If I'm at a gig or jamming at a friend's house, I'm never without a guitar tuner - AmpliTube mobile provides one in the TOOLS.

With AmpliTube on my iPhone, I can check out any guitar anytime, and record it for later reference.
My question to you is how can't you use an ampsim on your phone, and why wouldn't you want that available?
πŸ“ Reply