The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room treatment in Los Angeles
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Room treatment in Los Angeles

I am finally going to treat my project (home) studio and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on someone who could consult on this. I have read the Ethan Winter site, a number of the relevent posts, some other websites, and even though I have an engineering degree...I just want someone who has done this acoustics stuff before so I can save time and not make any bonehead mistakes due to my inexperience in this area. I am mainly musician/producer/engineer in that order.

Any LA slutz who know what they are doing and would be interested let me know, or a reference to a pro acoustician (sp?) who is not stupid expensive would be fine. I just want the suggestions, I'll make the decisions on what I can do (afford) and do the work myself (traps with a cheapness...etc.). This is in my home so I am not going to go too far if you know what I mean. Current control/tracking room about 20 X 17, and potentially another room about 25 X 25.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Guru

SS,

> pro acoustician (sp?) who is not stupid expensive ... do the work myself (traps with a cheapness...etc.). <

For the cost of even a low-budget acoustician you could buy from RealTraps and get free advice from me as part of the sale. And you wouldn't have to build anything.

Not to be pushy! Just a thought.

--Ethan
Old 20th July 2005
I'd give George Augspurger a call - he's remarkably affordable yet has a proven track record in studio acoustics...

[Edit: fine, nevermind...]
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

I'd take Ethan up on that. Anyone who's dealt with him knows he's not a spammer, I truly believe he's in this for more than just the money. He's probably offering to give you advise just cause he enjoys acoustics.

Bob Hodas is awesome, but you'd probably have to pay for his trip down to LA, he's located in Oakland. Maybe you could piggy-back if he's doing other work down here.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

With all the acoustic advice that Ethan selflessly contributes to this board, and other boards, I would be embarrassed to call him a troll.

Rob
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

It makes a huge difference to have a pro actually COME to your studio, examine the space, and THEN make decisions. I had Steven Kleins company come to my space in LA, thanks to slutz who recommended him. He layed out a great treatment plan that works in my budget, and they are extremely helpful and I feel welcomed to call (and I've called at least twice a day) with questions and such. Its good to know that as I'm asking questions, they are looking at a CAD of my room and can get very in depth.

Now as for installation, I'm working with two fellas who are making and installing the traps (which are 703 and 705 based) and they are VERY good at what they do and have very reasonable rates. They are young guys and could use the work so email me if you want to find out more.

Room design and monitor choice are so important, don't skimp on it! Remixing a song 15 times to get it to sound right in your car SUCKS!

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
I'd give George Augspurger a call - he's remarkably affordable yet has a proven track record in studio acoustics...

[Edit: fine, nevermind...]

I would say the same in your defense!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ethan, if you are ever taking a trip up to the Cape, I would be willing to have you come in and eval my setup.. I am located in Providence, RI now, but used to be a local CT guy(Waterbury to be exact)..

Payed trip, of course..

Jim
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ethan, PS ....- I spent some time in your neck of the woods up in Danbury at West Conn..

Used to have this Music teacher named professor Lewis. Guy was a musical Genius, and he owned a Stradivarius !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

No lie....

Oh well, ill stop mumbling..
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

OK, I'll get OT, too. I grew up in Darien, and spent some time in Milford; dated a real cute lady in Milton in the early 70's...ahhh, the memories...
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru

> I truly believe he's in this for more than just the money. He's probably offering to give you advise just cause he enjoys acoustics. <

I'm not suite sure what happened here, but thanks guys. Anyone that knows me also knows that I've been spreading the word about the importance of acoustic treatment for a lot longer than I've been in the biz. If my enthusiasm for the subject tarnishes my online persona, well, sorry. So sue me.

> Used to have this Music teacher named professor Lewis. Guy was a musical Genius, and he owned a Stradivarius !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup <

That would be Eric Lewis. He's awesome. Eric can play a single note on a violin and make it sound like a masterpiece. Thumbs up indeed!

--Ethan
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer
I'm not suite sure what happened here, but thanks guys. Anyone that knows me also knows that I've been spreading the word about the importance of acoustic treatment for a lot longer than I've been in the biz.
Someone made a comment for you to stop spamming, then withdrew it.

Didn't you start out offering instructions about how to build bass traps, at no charge, in addition to general advise?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Another plug here for Stephen Klein at the Sound Control Room if you're in Los Angeles. I used him and his products years ago and have been very satisfied : )

mckay
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Steve,

> Someone made a comment for you to stop spamming, then withdrew it. <

Okay, fair enough. And Mea Culpa. I'll try to tone it down.

> Didn't you start out offering instructions about how to build bass traps, at no charge, in addition to general advise? <

Yes, I've been helping people to build their own acoustic treatment for years. Shortly after I started my company, I wrote my Acoustics FAQ to explain all I knew at the time about acoustics in a single source and with no commercial references. I still maintain that page, and I still answer questions about DIY treatment all the time in many audio newsgroups and web forums, including my own at Musicplayer.com. I feel so strongly about the importance of acoustics and bass traps that I'm glad to help people build their own rather than go without.

--Ethan
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone!

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated...

I also want to add that Ethan is top notch. VERY knowledgable and super helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search