The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with converters and clocking
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Help with converters and clocking

My question relates to AD and DA conversion.

I currently have a RME fireface and multiface and plan to use them both in Digital Performer so I can achieve so I can achieve 16 analogue outs. What is the best way to have these two boxes synced together to avoid jitter?

Later I may sell the multiface and get a Apogee rosetta 800 or 200 and use the ADAT/SMUX converters on the fireface. How would I sync these two together?

Is there a loss of quality using the ADAT/SMUX converters? I have read this is due to the fact that all ADAT converters use the same quality ALESIS conversion. I would have thought that the conversion was equal to any form of digital message send (firewire, AES SPdif) and that the quality of the AD and DA conversion was seperate of this. Would an apogee Rosetta have better quality using a Firewire adaption as opposed to using the ADAT send?

How significant is the increase in quality from the RME/fireface to the Apogee/Rosetta ?

Would an external clock such as a Big Ben provide a significant increase in quality to any/all of these possible setups (Multiface+fireface, Fireface+Rosetta, Multiface+Rosetta)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

me too....

the fireface and the rosetta are both competing for slots in my new rig, so i am curious about these topics too.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
Would an external clock such as a Big Ben provide a significant increase in quality to any/all of these possible setups (Multiface+fireface, Fireface+Rosetta, Multiface+Rosetta)?
this part, i can speak to. Big Ben does a great job. any protools HD rig can benefit from it. if you are even considering that, and you need 16 channels, i would recomend looking at the apogee da-16x and ad-16x. with those 2 boxes, you'd have 16 i/o with big ben built-in and all in 2u of rackspace. of course, yes, you'd also be spending more money. but i'll buy your RME gear to help support your cause.......

- h

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search