The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neuman U87AI - Like new $1400.00 - Should I go for it? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 27th March 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
Neuman U87AI - Like new $1400.00 - Should I go for it?

I have a guy at a pawn shop that has a Like new in the box U87ai for $1400.00.
Should I go for it???
I have the AT 4050, Blueberry, and NT1as.
My pres are API 512c and Solo 610.

He is willing to let me pay it off for a couple of months.
He is bringing it in tomorrow for me to check out.
What do you think, good deal???
Old 27th March 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
I have a guy at a pawn shop that has a Like new in the box U87ai for $1400.00.
Should I go for it???
I have the AT 4050, Blueberry, and NT1as.
My pres are API 512c and Solo 610.

He is willing to let me pay it off for a couple of months.
He is bringing it in tomorrow for me to check out.
What do you think, good deal???
If the diaphragm is clean, go for it. It's a good price. Not amazing, but good. I think it would be a good addition to your current set-up.
Old 27th March 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
Thanks BOWIE!
Whats the best way to check the diaphragm?
Do I have to take the mic apart?

I was thinking of selling the Blueberry. There going for roughly $600.00 used.
Mine is in great condition.
I dig the Blueberry on my voice, and alot of Male rock vocalists.
It can be real silibant with Rap and female vox, but can also work great for some.

I'm just looking for more of an all arounder.
I do all genres and the U87 is something I've wanted in my arsenal for namesake I guess.
Old 27th March 2009
  #4
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
Whats the best way to check the diaphragm?
Do I have to take the mic apart?
To visually inspect the capsule you'll need to take the mic apart... for a "quick and dirty" trial all you need to do is plug the mic into a way to listen to the output [damn near anything will work that can output into headphones].

Breath into the mic like you're trying to "fog up a mirror". If the output of the mic remains constant then the capsule isn't dirty and hasn't lost tension. If the output of the mic shuts down for any period of time it means that the capsule could use a cleaning or a tensioning.

What happens when you "fog" the capsule is that you're adding weight to it in the form of condensation... this "fog" will attach itself to dirt and add weight... this "fog" has it's own weight... if the diaphragm is weighed down it can get "stuck" to the charged backplate which indicates an iminent problem. If it doesn't get stuck you should get at least a few years from it before it does get stuck [so long as you use a good "spit screen"].

Best of luck with it.

Peace.
Old 27th March 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
Seems like a great deal. If you get it, you might consider sending it to Jim Williams for an inexpensive yet expensive sounding mod that will make this mic even sweeter.
Old 27th March 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
To visually inspect the capsule you'll need to take the mic apart... for a "quick and dirty" trial all you need to do is plug the mic into a way to listen to the output [damn near anything will work that can output into headphones].

Breath into the mic like you're trying to "fog up a mirror". If the output of the mic remains constant then the capsule isn't dirty and hasn't lost tension. If the output of the mic shuts down for any period of time it means that the capsule could use a cleaning or a tensioning.

What happens when you "fog" the capsule is that you're adding weight to it in the form of condensation... this "fog" will attach itself to dirt and add weight... this "fog" has it's own weight... if the diaphragm is weighed down it can get "stuck" to the charged backplate which indicates an iminent problem. If it doesn't get stuck you should get at least a few years from it before it does get stuck [so long as you use a good "spit screen"].

Best of luck with it.

Peace.
Wow, now thats a real explaination, thanks Fletcher!
I think I'll try it out on the mics in my studio as well.
Old 27th March 2009
  #7
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

It will certainly sound different than your other mics, different enough anyhow to justify. I would go for it too...

War
Old 27th March 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

I wouldn't do it. for abut the same amount you can get a vintage U87 ( no AI), sure it' a lot older but if you get one that has been taken care of, you will dig the sound much better then the new ones
Old 28th March 2009
  #9
Here for the gear
 

He needs to give ya some guarantee that it will work when you try it out. I got my U87 Ai for about $2700 with tax brand new at guitar center. I went from a Audio Technica 4040 mic to the U87 Ai. Its a big ass difference the 4040 is really dark for vocals. I just recorded both mics at the same time yesterday,was trying to do this M/S Stereo recording but for some reason sounds weird like bad phase stereo but anyways during play back of both mono signals I ended up re-convincing my self that it was well worth the money. I love it cus when I usually record vocals I have it on omni, that's the real reason to buy it, dual large diaphragm, love it.
Old 28th March 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
six_wax's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
To visually inspect the capsule you'll need to take the mic apart... for a "quick and dirty" trial all you need to do is plug the mic into a way to listen to the output [damn near anything will work that can output into headphones].

Breath into the mic like you're trying to "fog up a mirror". If the output of the mic remains constant then the capsule isn't dirty and hasn't lost tension. If the output of the mic shuts down for any period of time it means that the capsule could use a cleaning or a tensioning.

What happens when you "fog" the capsule is that you're adding weight to it in the form of condensation... this "fog" will attach itself to dirt and add weight... this "fog" has it's own weight... if the diaphragm is weighed down it can get "stuck" to the charged backplate which indicates an iminent problem. If it doesn't get stuck you should get at least a few years from it before it does get stuck [so long as you use a good "spit screen"].

Best of luck with it.

Peace.
Thank you, Fletcher. I learned something genuinely useful in the art of audio engineering today. thumbsup
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
DCommand / High End
57
OHA / High End
3
TAXS / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
UncleVinky / So Much Gear, So Little Time
7
passionmax / High End
23

Forum Jump
Forum Jump