The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM57 vs. R-121 1-0
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

SM57 vs. R-121 1-0

Had a dirt guitar session today and as normally I start putting up my beloved R-121 and a SM57 and put them on a spot where they sound their best. Then a little IBP on the SM57 to get in as much in phase with the R-121 as possible, both amped by a TG2 and then see what I got (I often use only one of them, sometimes one a little and the other a lot and sometimes...)

Mind you, I'm a R-121 lover. I try it first on new things and often like it a lot.
However, tonight, on this particular, modified ENGL SE amp + 4x10 ENGL cab the SM57 beat the **** out of the R-121 for a guitar solo. It wasn't even a contest...

Gotta love the SM57, when it's right there's nothing better .

Just wanted to share this, you would need to hear it, but man, the SM57 never beat the R-121 with that much margin at my place .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

i LOVE the sm 57 and the 421 of course
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Cool, the 57 sneaks into first place a lot. Its always "there for you".
Love the AKG C414 on guitar cabs myself...
Mark
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a SM57 and a E609 silver set up 24/7. Usually i'll find the sound i'm looking for from one of them.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Just wanted to share this, you would need to hear it, but man, the SM57 never beat the R-121 with that much margin at my place .

Greetings,
Dirk

To be honest it`s usually a toss up for me. For mildly to extremely distorted guitars the SM57 just picks up the right stuff. It sometimes sounds more or less EXACTLY like it did in the room to me if I set it up right. Not really thought of as a super accurate mic or anything but with distorted guitars it accels.

The 121 blows the 57 away for cleaner guitars for me usually though.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I grew up seeing the Senior engineers all using 57's on the top of the snare, and I kinda equated it as a drum mike. The other night we had to put down a guide vocal for an artist we're producing that overseas, so we could show her where to sing. A session vocalist friend rocked up and we were feeling slack, so I gave her a hand held 57 and we did the vocals in the control room. Used it into a shep sn8 then 1176 and thought it didn't have to be that good, just a guide. Thing is, it sounded really good....not like a condenser good, but it's own great sound.
Hmmm.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
The 121 blows the 57 away for cleaner guitars for me usually though.
Yep, my experience also.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 20th July 2005
Here for the gear

I read an interview with Daniel Lanois in Audio Technology & he talks about using them for vocals - heck if its good enough for Dan....

Justin.
Old 6th December 2005
Gear Addict

we have an ENGL powerball as the studio amp and it loves the SM57.
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Had a dirt guitar session today and as normally I start putting up my beloved R-121 and a SM57 and put them on a spot where they sound their best. Then a little IBP on the SM57 to get in as much in phase with the R-121 as possible, both amped by a TG2 and then see what I got (I often use only one of them, sometimes one a little and the other a lot and sometimes...)

Mind you, I'm a R-121 lover. I try it first on new things and often like it a lot.
However, tonight, on this particular, modified ENGL SE amp + 4x10 ENGL cab the SM57 beat the **** out of the R-121 for a guitar solo. It wasn't even a contest...

Gotta love the SM57, when it's right there's nothing better .

Greetings,
Dirk
Hey! shows your on your toes and not a slave to routine. thumbsup
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

The same here. Last week a 57 beat up all my other mics in a Les Paul-Marshall combo. Tried Fatso in Tranny mode for the power chords but it sounded too dull.

Lives for gear

Engl Powerball here too and the 57 absolutely smokes through my LTD-1. Don't have a Royer to compare it to, but it don't matter cause it sounds crazy heavy yo!
Old 6th December 2005
Gear Addict

I've seen an engineer, in a very expensive studio, use a 57 in the kick, and another one for the bass cab!

I wasn't too impressed heh, but hey if that's the sound you want

That said, the 57 is a great mic
Old 6th December 2005
Gear Maniac

When we played the 3D Audio Mic CD for a couple of people who wasn't even remotely into sound engineering... just the every day average listener, they both thought the SM57 was the best mic on the test for both female and male vocals.

Top that one!!! thumbsup thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search