The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Noise Cancellation Phase Trick - Please Help. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Noise Cancellation Phase Trick - Please Help.

I have read about the technique of removing unwanted amp hiss noise from guitar recordings using a recorded track of the noise only and phase reversing it whilst playing it along with the guitar track.

How so?

If I record the 'hiss' at a different time surely it will not cancel out, because it is not 'exactly' the same as the hiss inherrant in the guitar sound...

The reason I ask is I am trying to reduce the background noise over a VO recording in my studio and I recorded some room noise to try this technique. I know I can easily use noise removal software but I thought trying this reverse phase guitar amp thingy might be of some use.

Please illuminate me.
Old 26th March 2009
Gear Addict

I might be talking out of my butt here, but wouldn't the noise reduction software do that plus a whole bunch more?

I think some noise reduction plugins will also use gating so there is no needless/destructive reduction happening.

~Jay
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Room noise is a lot more varied than guitar amp hiss. Therefore it doesn't just phase out perfectly.

I normally record a good 30 seconds of room before location recordings to get the relative "silence" in the room, and then use that as the basis for noise reduction plugins. Works very well, unless an AC unit turns on right before the concert.
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
I might be talking out of my butt here, but wouldn't the noise reduction software do that plus a whole bunch more?

I think some noise reduction plugins will also use gating so there is no needless/destructive reduction happening.

~Jay
Yes absolutely I have tried it and judiciously used it is very good - It removes the bkg tractor computer noise and subtle hum very well. I just have to be careful about the 'S' sounds...

I guess the old amp hiss removal is a very crude way to attenuate the awful noise and in no way subtle enough for VO recording in an unsuitable environment.

However it's the noise removal software that has got me the thumbs up over a far more expensive studio with great sound proofing (which is always the best option - but on this occasion too costly for the client).

If I was doing this kind of VO gig all the time I would just relocate the computer of course.
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

I'd of thought an expander or noise reduction software would be a better way to go when dealing with a VO.

If the soundproofing is good then you will mainly only be dealing with the noise floors of your equipment which shouldn't really be a huge problem anyway. ?
If the soundproofing is not so good then the background noise would be constantly changing and therefore not "cancelable".

Do it late at night in the deadest room you can find I guess.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search