The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rumble Strips
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Rumble Strips

Hello,

I wanted to ask if one of you has any samples of a car driving on "rumble strips"? I need the particular sound and we do not have many rumble strips in Switzerland so I cannot sample them myself easily. Thanks for your help!

regards
dussel
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey,
I'm not sure what a rumble strip is, but it would be a good name for a contact microphone. If you can explain what it is I may have a sampl as I have a rather large sound effects library. (Don't laugh, I like to play them at parties)
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Rumble Strips...

Hi aevan,

"Rumble strips are grooves or rows of raised pavement markers placed perpendicular to the direction of travel to alert inattentive drivers. As a vehicle passes over the rumble strips, noise and vibration are produced, alerting the driver they are approaching a hazard."

This is at least what the washington state department says :-) Would be very cool if you played that sound on parties!

Peter
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

drunk bumps

he wants samples of a car "reading braille"
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum
drunk bumps

he wants samples of a car "reading braille"
exactly :-)
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dussel
Hello,

I wanted to ask if one of you has any samples of a car driving on "rumble strips"? I need the particular sound and we do not have many rumble strips in Switzerland so I cannot sample them myself easily. Thanks for your help!

regards
dussel
Go find the ONE rumble strip in Switzerland. Then get your mobile recording rig set up on the side of the road and have your wife or girlfriend drive over it a few times. Now is a good time for that shotgun mic. heh
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

yes, I have thought about that but searching might take a while - I do not remember where I saw a rumble stripe around here... I still hope that maybe a gearslut has already sampled that noise.

regards
Dussel
Old 20th July 2005

Damn. theres some by my place but I don't have a portable recorder, i don't suppose I'm being very useful... oh well, its the thought that counts I always say..
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

yeah,

thanks for the thought, I still hope that someone actually did what you where thinking of :-)

Dussel
Old 20th July 2005

I've often thought (after I'm rudely awakened by the rumble strip on the side of the motorway, they work great) that it would be funny to make the rumble strips play tunes, that is, if you spaced them correctly the notes they produce could play a melody as you ran over them. Maybe coke would start using them as advertising, playing the "always coca cola" jingle..
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
I've often thought (after I'm rudely awakened by the rumble strip on the side of the motorway, they work great)
I hope you did not drive the car when you were awakened :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
that it would be funny to make the rumble strips play tunes, that is, if you spaced them correctly the notes they produce could play a melody as you ran over them. Maybe coke would start using them as advertising, playing the "always coca cola" jingle..
nice Idea - seems to be quite complicated to implement though :-(

regards
Dussel
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

I wonder if a sample library features that kind of noise. The problem is that I want to have the real sound - it would not be to difficult to synthesize something but as I do not really know how it sounds exactly I need to have a sample of the real thing.

Any Ideas?

Dussel
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

there are 2 kinds of rumble strips though.
the ones on the sides of the road, and in the middle...to "awake" you as you obliviously cross them....often called "wake up strips"
and then there are the "rumble strips" that are usually right before TOLLS and such....bridges/tolls/tunnels.

which one is the correct type of "strip" you seek?

Durv
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

Any RACE TRACK will have rumble strips !!!

LAter
Buzz
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru

I think a guiro pitched way down (but not slowed down) would come close.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durv
there are 2 kinds of rumble strips though.
the ones on the sides of the road, and in the middle...to "awake" you as you obliviously cross them....often called "wake up strips"
and then there are the "rumble strips" that are usually right before TOLLS and such....bridges/tolls/tunnels.

which one is the correct type of "strip" you seek?

Durv
I would be quite interested to hear either one of them - I cannot really imagine what the difference between the two is :-)

regards
Peter

Last edited by dussel; 21st July 2005 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: [spell check :-)]
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
You could probably do some editing to a kick drum and get the desired effect. Get the timing right, then do a few kick sounds. One for the "tire slap", one for the "deep bass", and one for "$hits and giggles".
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
I think a guiro pitched way down (but not slowed down) would come close.
I can imagine that it is easily possible to synthesize something after I know exactly what it sounds like, but as I dont :-( I am almost shure that someone has sampled the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebuzz
Any RACE TRACK will have rumble strips !!!
good idea - i am not familiar with race tracks at all, but I might visit one in my region...

thanks for all the help!
Dussel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search