The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintech Dual 72 question(s)
Old 19th July 2005
Here for the gear

Vintech Dual 72 question(s)

Couple quick questions on the Dual 72, which I am considering picking up. This will be primarily used to record guitars. So...

1) I realize many think this pre is a bit dark...what have been you kind folks' experiences in using the dual 72 with Ribbon mics? I would be using it with a Beyer M160.

2) Has anyone used the direct on the dual 72? I would be needing to record bass direct and am wondering how this would sound (I use a Rick 4003).

Any other comments would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Wes
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

It doesn't have a lot of gain, so it might be hard to get everything you need for your ribbon mic. I don't know that much about the Beyer tough.

I've recorded DI bass with it a few times. I think it's kind of grainy but not that bad.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

As Wallace mentioned, unless you get the special "Nathan Eldridge" gain boost on the Dual 72, you might find the gain a bit short for most (non-active) ribbons. I find this pre to be excellent for guitars though - the 'darkness' that others describe to me nicely balances out the crispness of a good LD condenser. Great mid-range thickness (it is trying to be 'Neve-like" afterall...)

Also like it for bass DI. It might be 'grainy' compared to the hi-z input on higher cost pres like the GR MP-2NV, but I like a bit of grit and edge on bass guitar anyway (UA 1176 on 'all button' - yeah that's the ticket.) You'll really hear all the iron on that bottom end too (if such a thing is possible.)
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut
I never have used mine with a ribbon mic. The gain can be insufficient on some quieter sources. I did however use it to record a Ric 4003 on a CD two years ago or so with a power pop band. I used a Countryman DI first, then went through the mic pre input. I am not sure if the DI input goes through the input xfmr. It sounds great. It gave the bass the thickness it needed but still allowed the midrange tones of the Ric to come through. I like it better coupled with a mic'ed amp, but if a DI only is your only option, it still stands on its own merits quite nicely. The Vintech is my go to DI only bass setup. Of course, the usual YMMV disclaimer holds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search