The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
7th Circle Mic Preamps?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

7th Circle Mic Preamps?

All the talk of the SCA's A12KA (the many posts I see that say in blind listening tests the SCA A12 sounds better than API 512's) I am wondering if I should try them out. But I'm curious what op-amp was in the A12 you were listening to? That makes a major difference in response, and I wonder if it is the stock component or the API op-amp, or something else.

Anyone who has the SCA A12 and original APIs with the mod (1kOhm resistors strapped on the output) in a lunch box ever compare the two side by side? I'm looking for more information and thoughts.

How about the N72? Do they compare well to original 1272s or Great River preamps?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim vB
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
All the talk of the SCA's A12KA (the many posts I see that say in blind listening tests the SCA A12 sounds better than API 512's) I am wondering if I should try them out. But I'm curious what op-amp was in the A12 you were listening to? That makes a major difference in response, and I wonder if it is the stock component or the API op-amp, or something else.

Anyone who has the SCA A12 and original APIs with the mod (1kOhm resistors strapped on the output) in a lunch box ever compare the two side by side? I'm looking for more information and thoughts.

How about the N72? Do they compare well to original 1272s or Great River preamps?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim vB
My A12's have Tim's SC25 Op Amp. On his forum, a user did some graphs comparing it to the API 2520 Op Amp. They were almost identical with the SC25 actually looking a little more favorable.

Mine win shootouts with 512c's almost every time they go up against them. They are quieter too. You won't be disappointed.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you do a search you'll find Michael Wagener's posts of his SCA - A12 experiences. I've been told he used the version with Tim's SC25 opamp and actually liked it better than his API's on a number of sources, though most of the time it was too close to call.

I own a pair of N72s and J99s, which I love. A12s will be next.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search