The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lunch box with deep slots 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Lunch box with deep slots

My luchbox API 500 6b has a problemo. It's slots are too deep and the modules barely make contact and are very loose. I'm gonna call a certain someone today and if they can't help me I'm on the blower to API. Apparently API had a bad run of the boxes as I have talked with a few guys who have heard of this. Anyone here have that problem?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

bump
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well, my 6B doesn't seat the cards quite as well as the previous 4-slot one.... but, it hasn't caused any problems (that I can notice).

-CJ
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
My luchbox API 500 6b has a problemo. It's slots are too deep and the modules barely make contact and are very loose. I'm gonna call a certain someone today and if they can't help me I'm on the blower to API. Apparently API had a bad run of the boxes as I have talked with a few guys who have heard of this. Anyone here have that problem?
They also had a bad run of modules quite sometime ago... they were too long. Probably happened at the same time.

Either take it back from where you bought it or get on the phone to API and tell them the problem. If its there fault they will probably be more than happy to exchange a new lunchbox with your lunchbox.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

what modules do you own that you're trying to load??? have you tried every slot??? As a former owner of a 6B lunchbox, I found that the card edges barely sat into the frame, it was definatly a "feel" you need to aquire to fit them. It's also very easy to load a 512c and mis the frame connector totally, this happened to me. Lucky enough I had a fully loaded 6B with (2)512c (2)550b and (2)525.

It makes me wonder what kind've quality control is going on at api.

To replace the lunchbox I bought a 10 space vertical rack with the api power supply $$$. Only to power the thing up and realize the 48v led and the -16v led indicators were wired backwards, actually it was an easy fix, as they're are wired to pins that you can remove and attach again, so the LED's would light up correcttly.

Seriously, where's the quality control here, doesn't anyone test these pieces of hardware beofre they leave the shop?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have seen this problem, I corrected it my self instead of sending it back to API as I had a client that needed it ASAP. I cannot remember at the moment what I had to do to correct it. I don't believe it was a major job. To be frank I could not believe API did not notice or check them out before shipping...
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just put together a new 6B and 4 512C's, and it seemed to me that they barely fit also, but they are in there solidly, and I have not seen any problems.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I haven't been inside one, but I suppose there must be some way to adjust the amount of space between the board and the metal.

I'd like to A/B Dale Epperson's power supply with API's since I'm gonna have to buy a 10 space rack soon.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

I had a bit of trouble as well. I found certain modules fit into different slots better. You might try that first.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I had the same w/ a 6 space. Way inconsistent I/O levels between modules. Try doing a stereo pair like that. So, I took it to API. (Yeah, I live about an hour away) They shimmed the connector board forward, and it seemed to work. The modules fit a bit tighter, levels were cool. I say were, because I'm having the same problems again after about 8 months of being cool. I'm going to try taking them out and reseating and see what happens. I hope I don't have to go back down.

Andrew
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
I had a bit of trouble as well. I found certain modules fit into different slots better. You might try that first.
I noticed that too. I may just get a new 10 space and be done with it... I hope. Who knows if that would cure everything.

My modules seem a bit twisted. They have been like this before and after I had the box to API. Check out this picture and tell me if I'm crazy. You can see in both pics they lean to the left...
Attached Thumbnails
Lunch box with deep slots-dsc02545.jpg   Lunch box with deep slots-dsc02546.jpg  
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Whoa! the pics are huge. Sorry. No time to resize right now...
Take a look at the bottom of the 1st, and the top of the 2nd.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Funny, I didn't think about the depth of the contact as a reason for unbalanced pairs.

I'm gonna check it out as I have a couple of 512c's that agree more than the rest and my 525's are way off but I don't usually move them around in the box.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Can anyboday say BAE lunch boxes. I can. I went over there and I saw how their modules fit in to the elcos..whole diff world. Not to mention the external poer supply is a smart thing.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Superburtm, what's so different about the way they fit? I'm curious cause they look kinda the same to me.

Andrew
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

in the BAE lunch box they go in about an extra 1/8 inch or whatever. Way better connection. Check it out yourself I just drove over to BAE. I dunno where you live.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
in the BAE lunch box they go in about an extra 1/8 inch or whatever. Way better connection. Check it out yourself I just drove over to BAE. I dunno where you live.
I live way over on the east coast...

After I took my box to API, they fit much better, but didn't make a nice click. (if ya know what I mean) But hey, API checked it, shimmed it, it should be right... right?

I'm going to take them out, spray out the box with the garden hose heh , and re-seat them. Maybe move them around too.

Andrew
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy

I'm going to take them out, spray out the box with the garden hose heh , and re-seat them. Maybe move them around too.

Andrew

Dude, are you crazy?

Ya gotta go to the car wash!!
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I spoke with the company whom I bought the luchbox from and they say they are sending me a new one.I'm hoping the new one is better or else I'm selling it and going BAE.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I've had problems too.
I called API and they were very cool.
They told me to send it back and they'd fix it.
The only problem is finding a week or so when I don't need to use the API's!
Not all that easy.
Mine seems to misbehave at the first slot getting better towards the last slot.
I also noticed a difference in sound between 512c's.
Don't know if the bad lunchbox is responsible.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey
They told me to send it back and they'd fix it.
The only problem is finding a week or so when I don't need to use the API's!
Not all that easy.
Monday and Tuesday are my weekend, and I'm not too far away, so I just drove down. Looks like I may have to go again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey
Mine seems to misbehave at the first slot getting better towards the last slot. I also noticed a difference in sound between 512c's. Don't know if the bad lunchbox is responsible.
When looking at the lunch, are you going left to right? (1st to last)
My 1st on the left is way out there. (Even when I tried it in other slots.) So bad, that when I first took it to API, I had them check out the wacky pre. They said it was fine, and when I got the shimmed box back, it was fine. Now it's acting funny again.

I'd raise the board forward myself, if I was confident I wouldn't fukk anything up. Has anyone done this themselves? Piece of cake?

I'm planning on another 550b, and I'd sure like them to be consistent with each other. If I'm working on a pair of whatever, I want to be confident reaching for the eq's. Not have them sound different, level loss on one, or jump through the roof.

Their stuff sounds great though, doesn't it?!
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Ya gotta go to the car wash!!
Yeah, yer right. I need a professional to take care of my lunch. Definitely gotta get the undercarriage wash. Probably pass on the wax. Don't want that buildup on my audio. Maybe have them detail the inside. Give it that nu-lunch smell. heh
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Sorry about the seating issue. We've only heard of this problem occurring once or twice over the years. The reason for it is that all products have "plus and minus" manufacturing tolerances. In the rare event that the Lunchbox and the module both happen to have been manufactured towards the "minus" tolerance, the result could be that the module seats less securely then normal, although that shouldn't affect the module's performance (because, technically, it's within tolerances). But in any event, if you're not happy with the replacement that's been sent, just contact us and we'll be happy to overnight you a replacement Lunchbox direct from the factory.
Old 22nd July 2005
FWIW, I've had more than a few customers tell me about this problem, where BAE, OSA, and even their vintage API modules didn't fit into the API rack.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Say, Nathan, I know were talking lunchboxes, but I've gotta move up to a 10 space soon, and I'm wondering if there's been a shootout of 500 series power supplies. I hear Dale's is nice.
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Say, Nathan, I know were talking lunchboxes, but I've gotta move up to a 10 space soon, and I'm wondering if there's been a shootout of 500 series power supplies. I hear Dale's is nice.

The OSA standard for our 11 module rack is a 3 amp PSU. Is this going to make it better than other offerings? Maybe. But only when you are pushing the preamps very hard, or running lots of dual op amp devices simutaneously. In most standard operating instances (like a few preamps) you won't hear much of a difference, all the manufacturers racks/PSU's will 'sound' as intended.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

i had a new 6B API box and had just purchased a vintage pre, reissue 560b and three OSA modules. One of the API modules fit as well as the new OSA cards. But, the older OSA module I had didn't fit. Dale replaced the card for me. Totally stellar guy. They all fit fine after that.
FYI...the API box uses Edac card connectors as well....total top notch stuff. Wheter you like the BAE, OSA or API boxes more is a matter of opinion. I think they're all made with top notch components.
later,
m
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I was told my new box is in the mail so I'll let you all know what happens. Hopefully a happy ending.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I prefer a 0 tolerance in my gear over a plus minus method. When I pay top dollar for it especially.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search