The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dry Cabinet as storage for microphones
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Dry Cabinet as storage for microphones

Hi gang,

I've been getting really deep into photography (and related equipment of course), there I stumbled upon the DRY CABINET (for storage of lenses and cameras) to prevent dirt, dust, humidity, molds...

Naturally, I thought... these dry cabinets would be a nice house for my microphones.

Anyone use this type of "dry cabinet" to store their microphones?

thanks.
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

I use a automan from target for my mics. Works for me!
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, here in Japan, almost all studios use them.
Here's a little one I've got:
Attached Thumbnails
Dry Cabinet as storage for microphones-cabi2.jpg  
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Nice. But shouldn't you be storing your ribbons in an upright position to avoid "sag" over time?
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
Nice. But shouldn't you be storing your ribbons in an upright position to avoid "sag" over time?
That's what they say. I wonder how many years it takes away from a ribbon mic by being left this way?
This particular box I have not only controls the humidity but also gets rid of dust/ bacteria/mould(its cause)/etc so I've never been too concerned about how ribbons should be kept, ie standing or on its side.
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
That's what they say. I wonder how many years it takes away from a ribbon mic by being left this way?
This particular box I have not only controls the humidity but also gets rid of dust/ bacteria/mould(its cause)/etc so I've never been too concerned about how ribbons should be kept, ie standing or on its side.
It seems like it would be pretty easy to take an extra piece of foam (like the type they use in 'road cases' for gear) and cut a couple holes in it that the ribbon mics could be propped upright in - and looks like there might be enough room on the top shelf to do so.
Old 27th March 2009
Lives for gear

I've sent e-mail inquiries to Royer, AEA and Peluso. So far John and Wes said it's not a bad idea. I was surprised to learn from Wes that (AEA) ribbons are more immune to humidity issues. Hope to hear from Royer soon.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search